Drews New(old) Maxi Life

Show off your caddy
Drewcole
100BHP+

Drews New(old) Maxi Life

Post by Drewcole »

Having had both the MK1 and Mk2 Caddy in the past and then moving onto various other VW/Seat cars I missed the ease of a van and wanted to get back into something, but the need for several seats was also something I had to consider...

Hunted for a while to get hold of a MK3 that wasn't a WAV, or really over priced!

I had in mind the injector issues on the later face lifted MK3's, which to be honest did put me off a little, plus knowing the general bomb proof(ness) of the 1.9tdi I opted to go with a earlier one.

Found this one tucked away which I picked up for good money.

Highlights are:

VERY clean body work for a 13 year old Caddy
VERY clean interior
Good service history
Drives well and doesn't smoke at all.
Everthing works on it and the windows don't leak!

Attention needed:

Couple of chips on the Audi wheels that need sorting
Discs and Pads could do with a change
Will service for my own peace of mind
Replace the shocks at the front, so will lower whilst I am there

Overall though, cleans up very well and I love the blue which I had a MK5 Golf in previously.

Big enough to chuck the MTB and Dog into with the kids in tow as well.

Last edited by Drewcole on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drewcole
100BHP+

Re: Drews New(old) Maxi Life

Post by Drewcole »

Obviously I had various baskets online waiting to be bought for when the Caddy was picked up..... So waiting the arrival of:
  • Pionner DA250DAB headunit with reversing camera
    Pioneer DAB Antenna
    Connect2 Facia Kit
    MK5 Golf GTD Leather steering wheel
    Van Style auto light kit
    Van Style interior lux mat set
    K&N Filter
    ERG Delte Kit
    Servicing Items
    Interior Bilt Hamber cleaner and some other detailing goodies
    Legal Pressed Plates
I think that will do for now and give me some stuff to get on with, I also have an underseat Pioneer sub that will go in at the same time as the headunit.

Plans are to make this into more of a useful Day Van so will probably keep the original interior as it is so clean, but may look to change up the front seats to Toran ones.
Drewcole
100BHP+

Bluey The Maxi Life

Post by Drewcole »

Some Caddeology in the ML, of which there is still much to do!

I came across the floor hatches, which I knew about but had forgotten about, so that was a nice surprise... and I found this:

I knew there was a Tow attachment and electrics on the van, but hadn't come across the hitch until now. I'll probably leave them for now as they are quite well tucked in and might come in handy anyway.

Obviosuly next on the list is a bloody good hoover and clean!
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

I readiness for the most important part, I stripped the headunit out and ran all the wires for the new Pioneer one arriving today, along with a reversing camera and some other bits.

The rear speakers are shot, which I have read a fair few posts about, looking at them they might be 3x7 speakers which can be bought, but I think I will look to custom fit something in there.

Excuse the knee in all of its glory....

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Looking for get the steering and brakes refreshed as that is one thing I am not sure about.

I think I am going to go with the Cobra lowering kit which is 55mm springs and then rear shackles after chatting to Van Style. I'll buy new shocks all round and top mounts too so should be okay to just bin off most of the old stuff.

Just need to confirm the disc size and the shock size, for which I made up a quick 55mm tester to check which ones they are (being the Maxi Life I'm sure they are 55mm).

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

First delivery of the day!

Van Style mats, K&N filter and the Auto Light Kit.

Already claimed by Dudley.....

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Been a fairly expensive morning!

Have just ordered the below:

Bilstein shocks front and rear
H&R front springs (40-60mm)
Darkside Dev rear twin leaf shackle kit
New top mounts

Brembo front and rear discs
Brembo front and rear pads

I've not got any drop links as yet, as I will see how it sits once it is done a deceide if I need adjustable or Mk5 Golf ones, plus the ML has had new front springs and drop links recently so I should hopefully be okay with getting the old ones off to use for a while anyway.

Looking forward to getting it all done, think it will be a long old weekend!

I had planned on changing the wheels, but I do quite like them for what they are..... so will see how it all sits once the work is done, plus the roads around here are terrible, so something that'll cope better would be nice.
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Busy morning for deliveries, means busy few days ahead.... although waiting for the rear shackels from Darkside so the suspension will have to wait for them.

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Headunit and new steering wheel are both in and sorted, still need the patch lead to get the wheel buttons to work, but it is MUCh nicer than the rubber one filled with human juice.....

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Then this morning I picked up some MK5 Leather GTi seats, been going over the various ways to fit them and have opted for the drilling of the Caddy bases for the rear holes rather than the Touran base option..... unless I cock it up, then we'll go with the easier :)

We've cleaned up really well, no rips or holes in them that I could see, so for £150 they were a bargain I think.
dandyer1995
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by dandyer1995 »

looks a nice Van! bargain seats too
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Thanks, it's starting to clean up nicely and getting the seats in at the moment.

Haven't had a car to play around with that much for a few years so enjoying this!
Last edited by Giddy on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous post
Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Spent some time getting the seats cleaned up and in today, took a bit of faffing but the end result is brilliant.

Such a difference to the stock seats in there, will seek out someone to make up a lead for the electric lumber support and the heated function, so any ideas please let me know?

I've read about 'Stan The Man' but they were from some older threads, so not sure if he is still doing them.....

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Always nice when deliveries turn up whilst you are out on the drive doing stuff!

Bumper protector on :)

Drewcole
100BHP+

Post by Drewcole »

Managed to get out between the monsoon showers that appear to have arrived today to get the oil changed, I suspected that it had been since the dawn of man since the last oil change... and I'm fairly sure I was correct, give or take a few hundred years.

Once up on the ramps it was easy enough to get to everything and the perfect angle for the oil to drain out, and most of it went into the bowl to so that was a bonus.....

The old filter more than likely had the cure for many ailments and illnesses, but it went into the bin for the fresh MANN item.

Oil in (4.3ltrs so I'm told) and it runs just as nearly smooth and diesel like as before!! :D

But I know it has been done and noted into the service history.

Here's a picture, because we all like pictures and someone might never have seen a blue Caddy on ramps before.... you're welcome.