First time caddy build for long time Dub fan.

Show off your caddy
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: First time caddy build for long time Dub fan.

Post by Exuptoy »

Cheers pal, think it was an earlyish one 04-06.
Here’s an 05 one on the bay for a grand, rip out the seats, dash, bumpers and break the rest! Prolly cheapest way for a conversion.
PD lump has to be worth £300 and gearbox another ton.
Sell your own dash, bumpers, seats etc. Space would be the issue for me.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Volkswa ... 635-2958-0
nath25
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by nath25 »

Nice 1 bumper looks in good shape had a silver one come in work for scrap Image
so stripped the engine down put all the bls part on it now back in and running the engine I used was a AVQ all seems fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Nice one Nath. Wish I could have gotten a silver bumper. Gonna strip mine today for prep.
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Managed to win a Touran Sportline lower bib in silver on the bay, so hopefully that’ll improve the look of the Touran bumper once I’ve had it painted.

Today’s work was to remove the panels in the rear and make a start fitting the Noico alubutyl noise deadening foil. 36 sq ft (3.4m2) which was 9 sheets pretty much completed the back end. Could do with a little more for the side panels but I have a little dodo insulation here which I can use to finish off before I stick some PET plastic bottle insulation in there. I can get stuck in with the 4 way stretch carpet.
I have Touran rear carpet here too so mint sure if I want that fitted or leave the moulded rubber mat for the hounds.

Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Popped down to B&Q last night for some PET recycled plastic bottle insulation. 6m x 328mm @ 100mm thick. Just £17. Don’t get caught up in the buying insulation at the usual suspects as they just charge over the top because ppl aren’t aware it’s the same stuff in B&Q.

Yesterday my mates lift became free around 5pm so I took the opportunity of removing the corroded centre exhaust section ready for the delivery this morning. I also replaced a few of the weird nuts that hold up the exhaust head deflector and put a few cuts of some spare heat deflector material across the corroded sections to get it all pinned back up.
The exhaust wasn’t due in until 10 today so I popped round first thing with my schutz gun and 2 bottles of grey Gravitex and covered any bare metal I could see.

I also took the opportunity whilst I was waiting, to sort the spare wheel carrier bolts, wound them out, scrubbed them up, straightened the mangled bracket where someone failed to get the wheel down and they’d even managed to bend the rear valance!!!!!, then wound them back in lathered in copper slip.

My sliding door seal arrived from flea bay (£20) so I removed the one that had been chewed by the PO’s dogs and popped on the new one.

Final job was to fit the exhaust section.
nath25
Caddy Fan

Post by nath25 »

Nice work mate can’t wait to see it finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P1Dean
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by P1Dean »

Coming along nicely 👍
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Cheers guys.👍 Can’t wait myself.

So after this mornings work on the underside and exhaust I started to pack any voids I could with PET insulation then after taking a big deep breath I started to carpet the rear.

What a horrible job. I got to the point where I had too much material at the base of the driver side arch so I just cut out the slack and made the best of it. It looks pretty good but the passenger side was easier.

Still have some finishing to do and I need to cover my insert panels. I am more than happy with the final appearance though. Had to wrap up early as I had to go collect the console and a spare set of headlights from the guy I purchased the Touran rear seats from. Watch this space.

Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Five minute mod……pedals arrived from the bay of fleas today, bottom clips broken but still anchored on the pins, but for £20 I’m not complaining.

Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Van just passed its MOT. 🍾woohoo!
SRAutoSolutions
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SRAutoSolutions »

always a good day coming away with a pass without too much grief :D

how much of a difference are you expecting the sound deadening to make? what kind of cost is involved?
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Yeah, I had a few advisories like CV joint (which I had a new one in the van ready to go on), and steering joint play but those bits I can sort in my own time now.
Thanks for reading and commenting btw.

In fairness the Alubutyl rubber deadening and insulation/carpet has made a definite difference to cabin noise and once the heaters are warm it’s not long befire you’re turning them down as it’s too warm.

I highlighted the costs in this thread so others might find it. It was roughly £140 but I’ve also bought an extra 10 sq ft small pack of Noico for the front doors and cabin floor (£17) if there’s any left. I have enough PET insulation left out of one pack for a couple of gaps here or there.

https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47544
Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Got my side panels trimmed yesterday and the side door panel. Gotta finish the side door upper panel and tailgate panel today then we’re on to the roof.

Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »

Exuptoy
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Exuptoy »