Caddy Maxi daily

Show off your caddy
sewi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Caddy Maxi daily

Post by sewi »

Hi all,

Got myself a mk3 Maxi 4motion 2.0TDI 81kw couple weeks back with a few ideas to fill:
  • daily driver
  • occasional camper - nothing permanent
  • MTB/kids/material hauler
Current modifications:
  • Fixed the rear axle rust issues
  • Engine cover
  • Battery box
  • Washer fluid sensor
  • Wind deflectors
  • Black WV emblem
  • Sound deadening
  • Tinted windows
  • Installed Premium BT HF + ceiling light with mic
  • Rear view and parking camera Pormido D50
  • Cruise Control
  • Replaced steering wheel with Tiguan R-line leather flat bottom and buttons
  • Aluminum sport pedal
  • Add adjustable arm rest
  • Climatronic
  • PTC Heater
  • Touran dashboard
  • Black winter wheels
  • Discover media
  • Heated memory seats
  • Replaced speakers with woofer fitted in the back
Planned:
  • Some wheels
  • Carpet the rear section side plastic
  • Stiffen up suspension maybe lowering it a tiny bit
  • Tidy up the exterior
  • Wireless charging and android auto
  • Something with brakes

The start was not as I imagined it as one of the rear shocks fell off the rear axle. Apparently the corrosion was worse than what it looked like so I got that fixed in a shop. Both shocks replaced and mounting re-welded and painting it black. Fortunately the rest is ok just the rear axle.

Finding this forum was probably not the smart thing to do. Should have bought myself a Peugeot that way I could only do very little and it would not get expensive. I totally see this one turning into a money pit.
Last edited by sewi on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
sewi
100BHP+

Re: Yet another caddy

Post by sewi »

Added wind deflectors and tinted windows (not quite happy with those as they added the foil from inside)

and since the original seats are such a torture I also snatched a set of Passat B6 heated seats for roughly 130€. I really like them

The other one need a professional care and so I was thinking to do the arm rest and doors to match. Probably also redoing the rear seats at some point
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

I was playing with Foliatec on VW badges as training for the wheels if I decide to go that route cause I think black wheels would suite it better. Any opinion on that?
Anyway did the front badge and it wasn't too bad

but seeing it on daylight it wasn't quite right

so I figured the grill needs a matching coat too and it actually went well

I might need to d othe bumper too but that would mean all the plastics. What do you think did I ruin it?

As for Foliatec I don't think you can do smooth surface with it. I don't so I don't know if it is a good idea for wheels. Might have to spend the extra coin for professional black painting.
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Some more parts to fit in at later stage.

Engine cover but need to source Ball mounting bolts 03L103164 and Oil filler ring 03L133 287 before installing it. Gave it a rub and it looks good. Might not even need to paint it.

and Touran center console with adjustable armrest. The armrest bit is currently being upgraded from vinyl to real leather.
and then obviously the console needs painting. I don't mind that as I want to paint the whole gray interior to black or bit closer to black. Not much of a plan yet.

Rear door panel was looking really tired so I figured a bit of plastic foil would do the trick
and it doesn't look too bad. quick and cheap.
but I think I will need to do some carpeting here.

Another think i got installed was RCD510 stereo which looks really good there and does nearly all I need. Only downside that RCD510 does not have that red theme RNS510 does but looks ok at night too.

Rear view cam off Amazon Pormido D50
It does IR interior for monitoring kids at night and rear view which is unobstructed. I quite like that part. It does suffer from glare it night specially on highways and the rear view is maybe a bit too wide angle. Reversing aspect of the rear cam on the other hand is not wide enough.
Monkey_22
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy Maxi build

Post by Monkey_22 »

Can I ask where you got this set up from and was it fairly straightforward to install?
Many thanks
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

The rear view mirror I guess. It is not that difficult I believe. Have to remove the roof lining plus storage and then route it to the rear door connect to light feed and drill close to license plate. I opted to have professional do it and it took about 3-4 hours. I would spend the whole day on it doing it myself and I am currently lacking a workshop.
Otherwise I was pleasantly surprised that it works good. Sure the reverse camera could be wider and the rear camera tighter which is hard to do when it is in fact the same camera. and mounting could be better too. There are mirrors with proper vw style mounting https://www.joom.com/en/products/5c766b ... 0101f7e50f but function wise it is lacking.
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

I finally sourced ball mounting bolts and installed engine cover. Looks a lot better imho.

Also got the armrest re-trimmed with with letter matching the seats I got before. Installing it wont be easy I guess I'll have to remvoe the whole central console. Original was not adjustable and the mounting is different just not sure how far the changes go.

Sourced leather door cards from Touran but they look pretty bad. Lether needs changing color and the rest of it would also be too bright next to black leather seats so I guess painting it all is the answer. They small horrible so need to do something about that and of course replace the broken bits.
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Order door handle to fix up the new door cards and some more parts from ali that will take way longer to deliver so I went to see what I can do with it now. The plan obviously is to prepare these cards without taking the old ones apart as I kinda need them for now to fixing these is probably going to be a little project. Anyway replaced the handle and left it loose for now for painting. The whole cards will need painting leather and plastic.
Figured I will need to address the chrome trim on the doors. Id like to keep it and match the dash but since omepc.com is not working today I can't check if that's even possible. Might have to go touran dash for that.

Another task to tackle was to paint the beige parts black I plan to paint nearly all gray interior parts black to better match the seets but so far not too sure how that's gonna work with the dash that might stay original color?

Anyway started painting Foliatec (again, not sure if it is a good idea for interior but my reasoning was that plastic paint is better for plastic bending parts. Will see about that)
First layer:
final plus sealant
End result:
lt ooks ok on the fake leather texture just not sure if it will be kids-proof.
What to do now? I mean it is even darker than the seat bases and it might be too shiny.

One option is to paint to lower-ish parts seat bases. central tunnel, door trims up to lower A pillar trim excluding dash keeping the middle section gray-ish ( I think the dash is actually a bit darker) and leaving the top half cream colour.

Other option is doing the whole thing I guess and. That would mean all the gray plastics all the way to the trunk. Anyone did something like that before< How does it look?

Cheers
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

I've been quite busy today working on my caddy today. Removed the passenger seat and base

It will need a lick of paint afterwards

but first test fitting

I never expected straight fit bit this is off in all directions so I'll need to drill some more holes and also grind these two locking pins on each side (forward/backward movement locking) as they protrude a bit too much.

Here is the test fit I promised

Sorry for the light that's not up to standard but overall I like the seat and with Caddy base it sits roughly 2cm lower than the original which is what I wanted but still that is the lowest position so might be good to go a tiny bit lower than that if at all possible. Or maybe not I got no idea how low I can go before my wife starts to complain that she can't raise it high enough.
Oh yeah the passenger one is manual. I already got these fixed when I realized I could have gone full electric but I really don't want to buy another set of sets just for that (and adjustable headrest)

Cheers
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Another update and pretty big one this time. Sound treated my caddy by a professionals (I couldn't afford the car not running for as long as it would take me to do it)

Engine compartment:

Roof:

Front door:

Wheel arch:
Floor:

Second door:

Trunk:

Sides:

They did a really nice job. The engine and road noise is noticeably quieter and a lot of different squeaking went away but now I kinda hear more wind noise and other cars are as load as before probably because of the massive amount of glass that was not treated. All in all I think it is a positive improvement but guess caddy is not exactly the type of car that will benefit the most. Just my two cents.

While doing that I also asked to replace the rear speakers as they are a bit harder to get to I was told. Front speakers and the rest of audio setup will come later.
Original:

New Kicker CSC464:
sewi
100BHP+

Re: Caddy Maxi daily

Post by sewi »

Today I was carpeting the rear door and I must say it looks superb. The foil wrap I used before started to peel but I have high hopes this is the final fix there.

Aded some grocery hooks (2 on each side. Looks solid enough to secure a bag or two. Worst case I'll have to find a better solution)

Also painted the trunk edge plastic black. Will most likely carpet the sides later so this is to match. Unless it wont hold to the abuse then I'll have to carpet it too.
R22LRM
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by R22LRM »

Now that’s how to insulate / sound deaden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

It was truly professional work. Sadly the result is not as striking as I have seen with other deadened cars. Lots of small annoying noises went away which is great but overall the difference is minimal. I recon that is due to window area and also aerodynamic noise from the side mirrors is not more noticeable.
sewi
100BHP+

Post by sewi »

Pretty significant development here. Time has come to prepare for climatronic retrofit so I was sourcing parts and got some extra I wont need

Now I wont be doing it myself I am not that handy and again time is the factor here but mate told me he needs to get the dash out and didn't mind putting another one in (I actualy wanted to that one myself) so it will all be done in a day. Here is the dash I got. It has everything even the sensors needed for climatronic. Not even a scratch on the dash itself apart from some in the passenger knee area. handles and vents will probably be replaced or painted

But man it is filthy I'll probably spend more than a day rubbing it clean.

I already got the center console painted black so I wonder if it is a good idea to paint the dash while it is out.
Of course the vents and storage compartment above will have to be sorted it is scratched a bit. Sensible thing to do would probably be to paint it but I am toying with the idea of replacing them altogether with chrome ones.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers
sylwiu_3gta
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by sylwiu_3gta »

Nice progress so far👍. I see you move pretty fast with the mods. Better leave the dash as it is, don't paint it, just give it a good clean and make it shine again :D
Current built thread: 2013 SWB Caddy 2.0TDI
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48634
My previous built: 2007 SWB Caddy 1.9TDI
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39945