'Rear door open alert' won’t shut up!!

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
unsunghero
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

'Rear door open alert' won’t shut up!!

Post by unsunghero »

My Caddy keeps alerting me that its rear doors are open, however they are not!! I have tried slamming the doors shut which works for a little while but the bloody alert comes on the dash after I go over a bump or if it feels like making itself known again. I could easily ignore the reading on the dash but it’s the ‘bing’ noise of the alert does my head in as it goes off every 20-30secs.

Does anybody know a quick fix for this or where I can find the pesky sensor?

Turning the radio up louder will not suffice, because I’ve already tried this! :lol:

Thanks in advance
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: 'Rear door open alert' won’t shut up!!

Post by Doc »

This old chestnut again. :)
You will need a replacement switch for your side door. Its the small pushy in thingy below the contacts panel on the door frame.
£20 is from VW or TPS.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
chezzy71
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by chezzy71 »

my interior light sometimes comes on when i accelerate pretty hard, same thing, i just cleaned the contacts and spayed them with gt85.. worked for me
*********** caddy maxi camper build thread **********
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10101
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

OK, well take the switch out and if slamming the door hasn't goosed it, clean the contacts. ;)
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
vwbaz
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by vwbaz »

I had this with my side door after I upgraded to the highline clocks. Was ready to order a new switch, but I adjusted the bottom runner a tiny bit so the bottom of the door is held tighter, not had a problem for the last couple of thousand miles :D
NornIron
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by NornIron »

I don't have an audible alert, just the rear (barn) door warning light in the instrument cluster. Over the past few months I've had days when this won't go out (no matter how much door slamming I do!) coupled with the interior lights staying on... could this be related to a side door switch, or is there a known issue with barn door switches?
Ich habe kein Geld!
the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

I have the opposite to this where the new cluster (facelift highline) shows the rear doors closed when open but when on the first catch (slightly open) it shows open . Has anyone got any ideas on this ? Thanks in advance
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
the long one
Hyper Poster

Post by the long one »

Checked bottom nearside door catch - found to be all correct so when "shorting" between cores at switch end only the slightly open part of the connection seems to work therefore the cable to the fully open must be damaged - does anyone know where the nearest join is ?
104 bhp maxi - 6 speed o2q conversion - rcd 510 dab c/w Bluetooth & mdi - remap 162 bhp - facelift highline cluster - caddy 4 tail lights - 19” vw motorsport alloys - bilstein/eibach sportline suspension - r32 front brakes - scirocco front seats - caddy life centre console - mk6 flat bottom mfsw - caddy 4 folding mirrors
scottalan1993
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by scottalan1993 »

@the long one

I have this same issue 58 caddy swb, exact same symptoms as this . Has anyone a solution?
DJOHALL
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by DJOHALL »

With the Barn Door, the lower latch on the main door has a switch in it which can go bad. I kept getting the notice on the dash randomly and interior lights turning on. Also the van was fairly new and I don't use the rear doors that much at all compared to a proper working van. Cost me about €30 for the new latch.
i5te
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by i5te »

My first caddy did this, turns out I had a crack on the top door brake light. Fitted a new brake light and never seen the error again, thank god.

Annoying thing is, it used to unlock its self too and sound alarm!
scottalan1993
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by scottalan1993 »

I fixed the brake light also, this had cured the tailgate open light but still locks itself and sets of the alarm. :? :?:
louishawkins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by louishawkins »

Hi all,

This happened to me yesterday following heavy rain. Barn doors showing alert 'open' when closed.

After taking the gubbins of the rear near side door off, i found the culprit.

Water sits in the catch well around the stop on the rear bumper, when you drive up a hill this runs back in to the bottom door latch. This eventually gets in to the door sensor at the very bottom of the door.

Just take the two H40 (i think) bolts out the bottom of the door and you'll find it.

Unclip, spray out with an air line both male and female, load up with heavy grease to prevent re-occurrence, pop it all back together, smack its arse and away you go.
Dugpal
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Dugpal »

I had an experience with this recently and discovered that both lower latches on my caddy had sensors in. Water had been coming in through the light as one of the screws wasn't in.
I swapped the latches over and swapped the outside plastic covers and it worked! So was no need to buy a new latches or sensor. Hopefully that saves someone else the bother of buying a new sensor/latch.
2011 1.6 TDI
Pman1984
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Pman1984 »

Dragging up an old post but I have the opposite problem, when I open the barn door the lights don't come on as it's like the car doesn't know it's open... CL works fine along with the selective boot on key... Auto locks when door closed again..

Really want the rear lights to work when barn doors open up. Any ideas?