20v turbo engine conversion

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Jdk
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: 20v turbo engine conversion

Post by Jdk »

Jdk
Caddy Fan

Post by Jdk »

Finally got the thing running as it should and rolling road tuned. If I'm honest, a bit disappointed with the bhp, but a good power and torque curves (for a petrol !!) Aparrently the standard exhaust manifold is the culprit, but leaving as is for the moment as working to get the rest of the van done first.....watch this space
whites-all-righty
Twin Turbo poster

Post by whites-all-righty »

love that engine fella, looks mint and cant say im not a tad :mrgreen: of that BHP print out!
torque777
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by torque777 »

Wow it looks great now, and nice steady power from map.... I'm sure a lot more to come in future
gransetto
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by gransetto »

Chapeau!!!
VW Caddy Life 1.9 TDI - Typ 2K
2010 Pre-Facelift
lorenzo
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by lorenzo »

Brilliant work, well done.

Who was it that sorted the electrics out, and what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking? I'm toying with doing an engine conversion myself (v5 from mk4 golf?) but realise that nuts & bolts are going to be the easy bit, it's going to be ECU, clocks & other sparky things that'll mess me up.
Jdk
Caddy Fan

Post by Jdk »

Thank you for your positive comments, as has been said before the nuts and bolts bit is relatively easy but the wiring is a different matter. The guy that did mine is a guy called Rob from 'Factory Twenty 7' in Warrington (they rebuilt the engine as well) . This was the first one that he had done so I am sure he didn't charge me for all the hours on the wiring, but as at least 2 other people had tried to get the thing working before I got it, it was also undoing their 'work around' ie direct feeds to ecu, spurious switches in the system so you could turn the engine off and led lights broken out of the dash to conceal faults. So I have invested a tidy sum into the project, but as with all these things I couldn't say the electrics were ..£, What I can say is it puts a big smile on my face and I am glad I spent the money !
lorenzo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lorenzo »

Brilliant, thanks for the contact about the wiring, I might well give him a call. Looking at the bottom curve on the dyno printout, I assume that's AFR rather than lambda? It looks to go very rich at about 3500. Is there a reason for this (pre-ignition?), or is the mapping still a bit of a work in progress?
mrpurple
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mrpurple »

So long as the ecu is from roughly 2001 or newer the wiring is relatively easy for an auto electrician. I have done all mine myself with everything integrated as much as possible into the vans original wiring. I have run a separate fusebox & main engine relay for the feeds to the engine components as this was by far the easiest way to get around things without trying to rewire the caddy fusebox. It does use the caddy main & ignition feed to supply the ecu & relay though and everything is wired in as it should be with all the dash working correctly (rev counter, asr, MIL), these are all supplied through the can network from the ecu. Main problem with people doing these conversions is a complete lack of knowledge, an unwillingness to learn and a have a go attitude, which inevitably can end up causing more problems in the long run.

Fuel pump wise, the special caddy petrol pump is not needed, use a TT pump and modify it to fit the caddy sender unit, the original caddy pump will unscrew from the sender unit and the tt pump will screw on, then just attach the wires and redo the feed and return pipes to the pump unit.
'56 Caddy 1.8T
'15 BMW R1200GSA
'81 Mk1 Golf 1.8T
bud the spud
Twin Turbo poster

Post by bud the spud »

well the time has come to do this to mine as the bls engine in mine has just put a rod out the front of it
Gibbo
Hyper Poster

Post by Gibbo »

bud the spud wrote:well the time has come to do this to mine as the bls engine in mine has just put a rod out the front of it
ah bud that's not good, as you may of seen I have recently spent £1500 on my BLS head gasket went and ended up rebuilding top half !! Good luck
bud the spud
Twin Turbo poster

Post by bud the spud »

well time will tell
bud the spud
Twin Turbo poster

Post by bud the spud »

mr purple,would you do the 1.8t conversion again
mrpurple
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by mrpurple »

Not on a caddy, but that's a been there, done that for me now. I love the 1.8t engine though, i've more to do to the van yet, get it running right as everything has been a bit of a nightmare, just been unlucky really, first the BAM engine dropped a valve so it's now an AUQ block that I had spare with all the BAM ancillaries, essentially the same, then the turbo snapped the wastegate arm where it goes through the turbine housing so that was another £600 to fix. Once it's done though and mapped to about 280 i'll be a happy bunny.

It's not that bad a conversion to do really, no real fabrication of parts required, most stuff is off the shelf mix n matching bits. Engine bolts straight in on the caddy top part of mount and tt/s3/golf bottom part. Driveshafts are mk4 inners & shafts with mk5 outer cvs, same as doing the 02m conversion to a diesel. Boost piping was a bit awkward, had to move the washer bottle as it gets in the way, exhaust wise the tt/s3 downpipe & front section (cats) fit, just needs a bracket welding to the downpipe so that it fits on the orignal caddy subframe mount, rest of it is a custom 2.5" that my mate made for me. In tank pump is easy to swap to make the tt one fit. Water piping needs a bit of thought, but not really difficult, it's one of my jobs to sort though so that its all silicone hoses. Accelerator pedal i used the tt pedal and made a custom mount for it, could possibly have made the caddy pedal work though with a little thought and testing of the electronics in there, but i wanted to run tt pedals anyway. Wiring is probably the most head scratching part of it, i spent quite a while going through the caddy wiring diagram and the tt diagram and trying to make it as OEM as possible. I could have gone much further than I did, but, for simplicity it made sense to run a separate fusebox for bits that are powered from the 1.8t main relay as this controls all the components, to do it back into the fusebox on the caddy would've meant quite a bit of rewiring in the fusebox which is a PITA. Next is to try and integrate the ECU into the caddys immo system as i'm running a de immo ecu at the moment, i'm fairly sure it can be done though and then get some cruise stalk and get cruise control working.

If I were to do another caddy, next time round it would be a 3.2 v6 with the intention of turboing it at some point. I was torn between the 1.8t and v6 this time round, the 1.8t came along at the right price 1st so thats what went in.
'56 Caddy 1.8T
'15 BMW R1200GSA
'81 Mk1 Golf 1.8T
bud the spud
Twin Turbo poster

Post by bud the spud »

cool that helps me out a lot,so now get caddy engine out and then start
going to use a 2wd gearbox from a cupra so drive shafts are needed
as you say wiring is the main problem
but we all can learn cant we