Best brake upgrades?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Gary3084
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Best brake upgrades?

Post by Gary3084 »

Would the likes of the Leon cupra R brembo disks one calipers be a straight swap on a 2011 caddy? Or what other options is there?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Best brake upgrades?

Post by Doc »

Only the mk1 Leon cupra came with Brembos, these will not fit any of the 2k chassis Caddys.
First you need to know which you have to know 1) what is a upgrade & 2) what is compatible.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Caddyshackle
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by Caddyshackle »

Gary3084 wrote:Would the likes of the Leon cupra R brembo disks one calipers be a straight swap on a 2011 caddy? Or what other options is there?
I'm also looking at possible bolt on upgrades, I am assuming mk6 R, GTI or GTD could be an option?
Would love to know members opinions on what is direct fit?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Re: RE: Re: Best brake upgrades?

Post by Doc »

I'll repeat myself on this one.
Doc wrote: First you need to know which you have to know 1) what is a upgrade & 2) what is compatible.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Caddyshackle
Caddy Fan

Re: RE: Re: Best brake upgrades?

Post by Caddyshackle »

Doc wrote:I'll repeat myself on this one.
I appreciate what you said but I think we are both asking those two questions.

What is an upgrade, larger disks essentially and calipers and ideally from a more sporty model that will offer a better selection of aftermarket pads and disks?

What is compatible as in direct bolt on, ideally without the need for expensive adapter plates.
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

Im assuming you can't access the technical sections of this site yet where there are lots of threads on this subject. Golf gti mk5 are 312mm discs and retain your caddy calipers, all you need is the gti caliper carrier and new discs. The option I went for was the mk5 golf r32 front calipers which use 345mm discs and are a straight fit. Rears are slightly more complicated as the stone guard on the caddy needs changing or modifying, plus the handbrake fitting needs changing.

There are other options such as Porsche brembo calipers, Audi ttrs calipers etc but I have no experience fitting these.

Once you get full access there is loads of info to look forward to.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

What hubs and brakes have you got at present??
There's no point someone suggesting a 312mm setup if you already have this. Likewise, if you have the smaller front hub (50mm strut) you won't be able to do anything without changing the hub.

TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

I've thought about changing the brakes but I would only do it if I was going for a fixed calliper. Loads of aftermarket performance discs and pads are available for the caddy I'm going to stick some drilled and grooved with some good pads on when it's time to replace the brakes. Eurocarparts sells a big brake kit for caddy's about £1300
Gary3084
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Gary3084 »

Correct, no access to technical, R32 upgrade sounds good, even the ttrs, would look the part too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caddyshackle
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddyshackle »

Barbel330 wrote:Im assuming you can't access the technical sections of this site yet where there are lots of threads on this subject. Golf gti mk5 are 312mm discs and retain your caddy calipers, all you need is the gti caliper carrier and new discs. The option I went for was the mk5 golf r32 front calipers which use 345mm discs and are a straight fit. Rears are slightly more complicated as the stone guard on the caddy needs changing or modifying, plus the handbrake fitting needs changing.

There are other options such as Porsche brembo calipers, Audi ttrs calipers etc but I have no experience fitting these.

Once you get full access there is loads of info to look forward to.
Barbel Thanks for the info, just what I was after! And yes your correct no access to technical yet but I'm looking forward to doing some serious research when I get access.

Doc, I haven't picked up my caddy yet, off to the auctions on Thursday so hopefully getting a 1.6 102 maxi then with a bit of luck. Different hubs and struts on different models or was it changed over at a certain point in time?
Caddyshackle
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddyshackle »

TDean122 wrote:I've thought about changing the brakes but I would only do it if I was going for a fixed calliper. Loads of aftermarket performance discs and pads are available for the caddy I'm going to stick some drilled and grooved with some good pads on when it's time to replace the brakes. Eurocarparts sells a big brake kit for caddy's about £1300
Thanks for the info, definitely looking to bigger disks. Remap and a van full of tools and materials needs plenty of stopping power, I had a 1.9tdi for a year and thought the brakes were pretty terrible. Definitely not looking to spend £1300 though, I imagine R32 front brake setup can be had for a few hundred quid. Plenty of other bits to spend money on so will be looking to go down the second hand route.
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

I paid £200 for a pair of r32 calipers then completely stripped them, powder coated (£50) and fitted with all new seals and Pistons (£40'ish the set). Then I added some Hel braided hoses (£40) along with new brembo discs and pads (£250'ish total if I remember rightly) The whole setup fitted straight on perfect and the brakes are a lot better than standard.

Only slight issue I had was that the calipers slightly touched the spokes on my wheel (19"x8.5xET42) so I had to fit a 3mm spacer. You'll need minimum 18" wheels with r32 calipers/discs.

You can see mine in that picture on the left, or there's a bit more detail in my build thread.
Caddyshackle
Caddy Fan

Post by Caddyshackle »

Barbel330 wrote:I paid £200 for a pair of r32 calipers then completely stripped them, powder coated (£50) and fitted with all new seals and Pistons (£40'ish the set). Then I added some Hel braided hoses (£40) along with new brembo discs and pads (£250'ish total if I remember rightly) The whole setup fitted straight on perfect and the brakes are a lot better than standard.

Only slight issue I had was that the calipers slightly touched the spokes on my wheel (19"x8.5xET42) so I had to fit a 3mm spacer. You'll need minimum 18" wheels with r32 calipers/discs.

You can see mine in that picture on the left, or there's a bit more detail in my build thread.

Thanks for the info, that was pretty much my plan.
Your wheels look super nice, what are they?
Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

They're OEMS 110
TDean122
Twin Turbo poster

Post by TDean122 »

Barbel330 wrote:I paid £200 for a pair of r32 calipers then completely stripped them, powder coated (£50) and fitted with all new seals and Pistons (£40'ish the set). Then I added some Hel braided hoses (£40) along with new brembo discs and pads (£250'ish total if I remember rightly) The whole setup fitted straight on perfect and the brakes are a lot better than standard.

Did you use r32 carrier as well ?