Full HID conversion Vs bulb

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
vwone
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by vwone »

Hi the bulbs on my 2010 are very dim is it worth a full HID conversion or do you get enough benefit just changing to a better bulb?
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Full HID conversion Vs bulb

Post by Chris017 »

Hid off eBay all day long pall. You cannot get better light for the money with any bulb compared to hid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
brooneye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by brooneye »

Sorry to jump in, fo you have a link for the hid kit? I see you have a pre face lift Chris, does it put any errors up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vwone
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by vwone »

This is the one I was looking at on eBay https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-H7- ... wBanner=1
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

6000k ones I use as more of a white look not silly blue and are brilliant. I used a cheap set for my van as I've tried expensive ones and they don't last longer. Me and my mate have tried most on eBay to test them out and the cheaper ones always last as long as the expensive ones. The ones we buy are £15.99 eBay item 272509035867
Honestly don't waste your money on eBay with vw caddy hid search just put in ur bulb size like h7 hid kit 6000k I put in. No error codes at all and we have put these in my caddy, golf mk4 and 5 and all fine.

UndersteerDan
100BHP+

Post by UndersteerDan »

Chris017 wrote:6000k ones I use as more of a white look not silly blue and are brilliant. I used a cheap set for my van as I've tried expensive ones and they don't last longer. Me and my mate have tried most on eBay to test them out and the cheaper ones always last as long as the expensive ones. The ones we buy are £15.99 eBay item 272509035867
Honestly don't waste your money on eBay with vw caddy hid search just put in ur bulb size like h7 hid kit 6000k I put in. No error codes at all and we have put these in my caddy, golf mk4 and 5 and all fine.

Are these any good? I've never fitted any sort of aftermarket lighting to a car, but thr lights on my Caddy are crap!

I just can't believe how cheap these things are. Can you vouch for their quality?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Yep standard bulbs are sh*t. Honestly I use them all the time and my pals and boys in work do as were all work in construction and mainly go to work in the dark and get home in the dark so we tried different lights out and hid are the bomb.
Osram night breakers are ok and Phillips vision xtreme are ok as I have them on my vw touareg as standards £30 bulbs. My touareg I got for the misses not enough room for the hid so I had to put Phillips bulbs in as they are the best I could find but still no where close to hid.

bert.c
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bert.c »

Don't want to sound like the HID police but are you fitting in projectors or reflector lenses?

If its reflector lenses then you'd need H7R HID bulbs for the courtesy of other drivers ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vwone
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by vwone »

Chris017 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 pm 6000k ones I use as more of a white look not silly blue and are brilliant. I used a cheap set for my van as I've tried expensive ones and they don't last longer. Me and my mate have tried most on eBay to test them out and the cheaper ones always last as long as the expensive ones. The ones we buy are £15.99 eBay item 272509035867

Thanks can't go wrong at that price
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

Don't know what you mean with the protectors but if you mean does it sit inside the headlight inside that metal cup thing then yes it does. They are bright correct but when you compare these hid to all the new Mercedes and there lights then I would say they are the same in the white look and also in brightness as i used to own a new Mercedes ml couple of months ago and I compared them in front of the garage in the dark.
For that kind of money pall you can't go wrong. I always buy 2 seats to keep one in the garage for spare but if one does stop working as you do get that some times the seller is tidy enough to send out a replacement but until that arrives you will have a spare to use. 9 out of 10 times it the bulb that goes not the ballast. Easy strait swap pall.
There is a how to guide on the forum how to make these hid fit to your existing connector behind your headlight. You can buy the correct one off eBay but I didn't.

LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by LeeH »

He means that fitting discharge lighting in non discharge lighting fittings may be ok for you but shite for everybody looking at you.

The ‘r’ he mentions is a vain attempt to reduce the glare of HID in halogen fittings.
It’s nothing but a band around lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
bert.c
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bert.c »

Ah cheers Lee. I didnt know that about the R version. I would have thought that they were designed differently.

Looked into these when I had my B6 passat so only knew about the ones for projector lenses.

And I totally agree about the new mercs and alike that dazzle everyone with their factory fit HIDs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

UndersteerDan
100BHP+

Post by UndersteerDan »

Chris017 wrote:Yep standard bulbs are sh*t. Honestly I use them all the time and my pals and boys in work do as were all work in construction and mainly go to work in the dark and get home in the dark so we tried different lights out and hid are the bomb.
Osram night breakers are ok and Phillips vision xtreme are ok as I have them on my vw touareg as standards £30 bulbs. My touareg I got for the misses not enough room for the hid so I had to put Phillips bulbs in as they are the best I could find but still no where close to hid.

I've used Nightbreakers in other cars and was quite impressed with them. If these are at least as good then I'll be very happy.

I'll pull the trigger and get myself a set.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Chris017
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Chris017 »

They are much better than osram night breakers pall.
Well I have never had any problems with people flashing me from the glare and the vehicle passed mot fine with the bulbs if anything one was running out and they adjusted it
Little pic but unfortunately it wasn't dark but you get the idea.
Plus for everyone they are not illegal in any way and fine to put on any vehicle and will pass mot just fine like a standard bulb

totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

There's a big debate on it but general consensus is most HID conversions are illegal.
Passing an MOT does not make something legal.