Full HID conversion Vs bulb

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
UndersteerDan
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Re: Full HID conversion Vs bulb

Post by UndersteerDan »

totty79 wrote:There's a big debate on it but general consensus is most HID conversions are illegal.
Passing an MOT does not make something legal.
Better get them whilst we can then! Image

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

LeeH
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Full HID conversion Vs bulb

Post by LeeH »

No self levelling, no washers.

Not for use in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
2011 2.0 GT Bluemotion Tech DSG in Candy White
2012 1.6 Highline Bluemotion Tech Caddy in Indium Grey
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Chris017 »

Not for use in U.K., are you serious honestly everyone uses them. I have put them in nearly every car I have owned since I found out about them over 10 years ago. To be honest I will not stop using them just for the reason I can see plain as day at night time and other cars do not flash as lights are to bring. Not being awkward just telling the truth that they are good lights and they will never stop making them as there is a market for them and money to be made by these companies. Everyone has there own opinion and freedom of speak so mine is hid lights are really really good and I highly recommend them and as for illegal I have never heard of that as that would be a mot failure if they were illegal as they would fail the lumen chart for being to bright but they do not so I think the illegal part is complete false.

If you would like pall I will take a picture tomorrow evening of the lights in the dark so you can see and I will compare to my vw Touareg with Phillips xtreme vision

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
totty79
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by totty79 »

MOT test does not equal road legal, sounds crazy but it's true, there's construction and use regs for a start. For example you don't need a speedo for an MOT.
These conversions are not road legal in the UK. The headlights have to have the correct e-marking as well as begin self leveling and having washers.

For the record I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, I'm only posting to counter your advice that they're completely legal so other people aren't misguided by it.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Have a look at this DfT document which I don't believe has since be ammended or superseded.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... dlamps.pdf
It clearly states that "In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after
market HID lighting kits"

Because it is a technical grey area, whereby the M.O.T. or roadside examinations rules do not permit disassembly, it doesn't make it legal.

Please correct me if you can provide documented proof of the contrary.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Chris017
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Chris017 »

Well honestly I didn't know that after that read. I genuinely thought they were legal as everyone uses them. Well as it is a grey area I will still use them until I know otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jgautoworx
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Jgautoworx »

What adapters did you use I can't find anything except mk5 golf ones which don't seen to fit

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk