Syncro styling

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
SpeedTorque
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Syncro styling

Post by SpeedTorque »

Hi,

I've been enjoying the Maxi Life for a few weeks now and both myself and my Wife love this thing! However, in all black with tinted windows it does look a bit like a hearse, as such I have been granted permission to incorporate some styling mods which reduce this gloomy aesthetic.
Now, I personally love the stance look and would be happy to go that direction but it really would be impractical for what this vehicle is used for (Equestrian, camping and worst of all, North Yorkshire roads). I've always had a soft spot for the old Syncro Transporters and was wondering if anyone had any ideas that could hint at that particular style?

I'm specificaly looking in the direction of the roof rack with possibly a cage and lights if I can find a sensible way to wire them up.

Also, as the ride height is pretty well jacked up as standard, I'm looking into filling the arches with alterniative size tyres for the curent rims (I will need winter tyres shortly anyway). Is it possible to fit higher profile tyres and would it be dangerous at all?

TIA

John
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Re: Syncro styling

Post by NZDubNurd »

You have to be careful with taller tyres - If you over gear it, you'll be disappointed with the performance, and fuel consumption can become horrible! Going up one profile usually won't be a problem, but it pays to check the gearing % difference. Personally, I avoid going taller than about 3%, unless there is a reason why you want to go taller (like When my Transporter had its HP doubled :lol: )

It'd look good with moulded arch flares, but the Alltrack or caddy cross setup is EXPENSIVE!

On my Touran, I have some 12mm edging strips around the wheel arches, but Ebay does have some 36?mm stuff I've been eyeing up.

I think steel wheels suit the offroad look - I've got some 17x7 steels arriving for mine. May end up with 215/50R17's which is only a touch taller in the wheel department (2%) or 225/50R17 (3.5%). 16's would look more offroadish, but I can't fit 16's on mine :( .
audi5inline
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by audi5inline »

Really like this idea
SpeedTorque
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SpeedTorque »

Thanks for the thoughts! The standard tyres are 205/55 R16, I did find a thread where a guy had fitted 205/65 R16 on the same alloys and I think he had the same wheels but black. It looked good and he had no complaints with a 1.6 TDI.

I've come to love Nokian all weather tyres and fit them to all my car's. I noticed they come in the 65% profile in a commercial version, these still have a chunky look and practicality suite my needs perfectly. Logistically thinking, I'll have to figure out if I could get the current tyres removed and spray the wheels with plastidip then have the new ones fitted. I agree that steel wheels look great and I think 15” steels would allow me to get proper all terrain tyres. But this would leave me with a set of wheels to store or sell and I would probably need to declare that as a modification. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

You can go for an "off road" look without messing with the wheel size. VW 15" Sima rims (initially silver but got them painted black), with Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+ 205/70R15. VW OEM roof bars with Thule 'Canyon' basket.

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

SpeedTorque wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 pm Is it possible to fit higher profile tyres and would it be dangerous at all?
Unless you modify the rear arch lining, they will rub on the inside, with the (more or less same diameter, but slightly wider AT) tyres I fitted there is about 10mm clearance at the back. I have 2 sets of wheels, the AT ones, and the low-profile 17" that came with the car. There is definitely a big difference in feel between the 2 sets. With the AT you can drive over everything (including curbs) no problem, but they cause more body roll when cornering, and there is a lot more road noise.
dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

There has been discussion of this before and a photo that cropped up was this, although there were no more details found.

I just found this https://www.4x4styling.com/Lift-kit-Aux ... -Tdi-My-07. Not sure if its been mentioned before. A lift kit for the Caddy that raises it 25-30mm at the rear and 45mm at the front by adding in an additional spring.

willhouse
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by willhouse »

Currently doing all this with my 4motion.

Steels in powdercoat at the moment and Nokian Rotiiva ATs being fitted next week.

Lift Kit on order too...
audi5inline
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by audi5inline »

pics ?
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

There's the "Pan Americana" concept, which has rims & tyres that can't fit on a "normal" caddy (looks like it's raised).

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

dan@biali wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 am I just found this https://www.4x4styling.com/Lift-kit-Aux ... -Tdi-My-07. Not sure if its been mentioned before. A lift kit for the Caddy that raises it 25-30mm at the rear and 45mm at the front by adding in an additional spring.
Nice!
M8thieu
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by M8thieu »

I'm running 205 75 r15 and they work great! I got new rims with ET38 and they are flush with the body. There's about 1cm left between the tyre and the inner wheel arch at full lock.

I'm looking for some accesories to complete the offroad look but I haven't decided what I want. Maybe a light bar or some type of roof rack..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
SpeedTorque
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by SpeedTorque »

There are some great ideas on this thread!
NZDubNurd wrote: On my Touran, I have some 12mm edging strips around the wheel arches, but Ebay does have some 36?mm stuff I've been eyeing up
Do you have a link or an example of what type of edging your using?

Where can I get OEM cross bars for the caddy? I was settled on Thule aero bars with the feet that clip to the roof rails. However I am concerned this solution gets very high.

For the wheel and tyre options I'm going to have to ring Admiral insurance and see what's acceptable without too much of a price increase. I suspect it will boil down to standard size all season tyres with plastidip black alloys, as this theoretically has no modifications that would effect performance. But I will see.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

SpeedTorque wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 pm Do you have a link or an example of what type of edging your using?
I had my eye on these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-3-8cm- ... 2924105916

But you need two sets to get all the arches done.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster

Post by anoneamus »

SpeedTorque wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 pm Where can I get OEM cross bars for the caddy? I was settled on Thule aero bars with the feet that clip to the roof rails. However I am concerned this solution gets very high.
From the dealership, part no: 2K5 071 151A

They do add a bit of height. I can just fit in my garage with them on (literally with about 5mm to spare). With the basket on top of that, no chance...

Here's a side pic:

Last edited by anoneamus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.