Vlads (ex)Mobility Maxi

Show off your caddy
Vlad
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Vlads (ex)Mobility Maxi

Post by Vlad »

Hi to all.
I bought a 5yr old Maxi Life, with 21k miles and FSH, to use as a weekend camper. When doing my research before buying, I found that mobility conversions were typically £2000 to £3000 cheaper than equivalent non-conversions. (This was 2.5 years ago, it may be different now that a lot of mini-cab drivers now seem to use them.)
I bought it from a Motability dealer in Kidderminster that was a pleasure to deal with. (I got him to include window tinting in the price and he did'nt haggle a penny for it!)
And so for the work. Image
The drop down ramp was held upright by a latch, held to the floor by 3 bolts. This was removed, the bolt holes sealed and plated bolts and nyloc nuts fitted.
The ramp was cut off with a multi-tool at a suitable height and trimmed with generic doorseal. The remaining hinged section was bolted to the sides of the dropped floor. (Again with plated bolts and nyloc nuts)
I then got on my back and underbody sealed anything that needed it, to keep any road water out.
The conversion was such that I was able to replace the tailgate doorseal with a genuine one from a scrapyard.
The top of the ramp were 2 motorised straps for pulling the wheelchair onboard, beneath a protective cover. I removed the cover, dis-connected and insulated the 12v supply and put the straps inboard of the motors. I did'nt remove anything. I then replaced the cover.
I used 12mm ply in 3 sections for the new flooring, which is held secure by patches of hook and loop. The middle section is supported half way down the ramp to prevent sagging over time. (not referring to the missus!)
The front section is used when I remove the seats.
The rear section means I can access the spacesaver spare easily, Because I can't fit a bumper protector I'm just using a drop down piece of carpet fixed to this section.
I also fitted a reversing camera between the number plate lights, connected to rear view mirror monitor.
So, if any of you are concerned about buying an ex Mobility I would say don't be. O.k. you lose the 3rd row of seats (and who of us want those anyway?) and the fuel tank is smaller (I top off the tank and refill when I hit halfway on the gauge, and get 250 miles from it). But you get piece of mind from a FSH, low mileage, and quite possibly a bargain price compared to the van.

Cheers, Vlad.
Vlad
Caddy Fan

Re: Vlads (ex)Mobility Maxi

Post by Vlad »

Sorry fellas , 1st two images missing.

Vlad
volvomeck
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by volvomeck »

Do you have air suspension in the rear in your van?
Caddy propably the best car in the world
Vlad
Caddy Fan

Post by Vlad »

No , standard leaf springs.
kisyov
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by kisyov »

Hello Vlad, it's been 1 year since your post. I have same van and I use it with my wheelchair. I want to ask you if you still have front and rear belt which locking the wheelchair? they are located behind rear seats.
Morgana
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Morgana »

That's a really neat job.

I bought an ex WAV Caddy maxi not long ago. The dealer said he would take out the ramp for me, but it rattles something horrible.

Said he had to cut it off, and pack it. As it still rattles like a good un, I don't think it was done properly.

I'm hoping I can find someone to fix it properly for me, as I'm hoping to do much the same in the back, and have a camper conversion fitted over the winter, ready for next spring, hopefully.
Morgana's Caddy: 2011 Caddy Maxi C20 Life TDI DSG S-A. Former WAV.
Leebob
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Leebob »

I’ve just picked one up 2012 53k fsh…absolutely perfect to get me to work and Fishing!
The only trouble is the middle bit of rear bumper is missing and sprayed Black and doesn’t look good at all….. and the 2 end caps are missing off the cut bumper! I have no idea where to look for replacements!
I’m thinking chequer plate cut to size to cover the missing bumper that should tidy it up perfectly!
Leebob
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Leebob »

Vlad wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:16 pm Sorry fellas , 1st two images missing.

Vlad
Mine looks similar to this… if I get another bumper measured and cut up I would have to figure out how to attach it some how 😀
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

VLad

Can you tell me, even better show me with pics how the ramp doesn't collapse inwards when you load a weight on top of it
ie something going up or down the ramp
Or is this electronic / pneumatic of sorts

I want to install a manual type set up that folds in half for ease of storage in the rear n looking for ideas how to stop it from imploding when being used

Cheers