vw trust building measure

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
lal138
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

vw trust building measure

Post by lal138 »

Hi All i purchased a 2013 caddy maxi life 2.0tdi bluemotion 140bhp in Aug 2016 with 12000 mls on clock and it drives superb I did have a few problems in first few months when car would just cut out whilst driving took back to dealer and no fault could be found I have now done 24000 mls management light came on last week with code P0403 faulty egr so i deleted code and light goes out I then added some cleaner to fuel .After 3 days and light coming back on delete again it seems now to have cleared as cleaner must be working.I thought i had better get some more information on this problem I found out that my van had e189 emmisons fix two weeks before i purchased.Then i read about vw trust building measure none of this was explained to me by dealer.My time for cover has ended but got claim number from vag customer service .Then had to take to dealer to get service so that they could do vag com diagnosis and send to vw .ARE ANY OTHER MEMBERS HAD THESE PROBLEMS WITH E189 UPDATE only wish i had read more before i would not had this done.YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE THANK YOU ALL
Hi All i just thought i would do an update i still have the same issues as above and regeneration on regular basis no response from vw customer services going back to dealer this week as i am sick of knocking code of on daily basis van still pulls and drives well but i am not happy I really like my van but these issues are driving me nuts HOW MANY MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY VOLKSWAGEN ACTIONS AND WHAT WAS YOUR RESPONSE USING DEALER AND TRUST BUILDING MEASURE FOUND LINK ON INTERNET VERY INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE https://triscan.dk/en/news/egr-valve-st ... -and-money Van has now been with dealer for 8 days while we negotiate between dealer and volkswagen it was found to have faulty egr valve passed between dealer and volkswagen eventually a compromise deal i had to accept . Been told van will be ready to collect sat morning just hope and pray its ok. Not much hope for future as i am sure E189 update that caused problem in first place will do its best to ruin this new part :( :(SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO PURCHASE NEW VAN BEWARE OF E189 UPDATE Hi All collected van this morning new egr valve fitted made my contribution towards cost so that i have 2 years warranty cover for part as i was out of trust building measure of 2 years which i had not been notified about 5 miles up road temp warning lamp comes on i had checked level before leaving dealer between max and min level.when i stopped to check level regeneration was in progress and water level had dropped below min level so much for road test back to dealers topped up water level and checked for leaks none could be seen must have been airlock in system :oops: :oops:
Last edited by lal138 on Sat May 25, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Seanick
100BHP+

Re: vw trust building measure

Post by Seanick »

How can you find out if your van has had the update?

Thanks
Seanick
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi Seanick just put E189 emissions update into search engine and you will see vw site enter your reg or vin number to check if update has been done on your van hope that helps Pete :D
Ekimq
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by Ekimq »

Except...

The website says my van has had the update and the dealer swears blind that it hasn’t - I specifically told them not to do it.

Mike.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

In that case, contact VW customer services.
There have been dealers taking the payment from VW for the update labour even when they have not applied the update on customer instruction.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi Doc my van has now been booked into local van centre for more diagnostic work to try to resolve P0403 code fault I asked if egr valves have been redesigned since e189 emissions recall they were not sure could not answer I wondered if you know anything on this subject Thanks Pete :D
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I don't know pal, it's not something I've ever looked into. I guess you could check if your EGR part number has been superseded in the parts catalog but that's not always a indication of a change to improve something.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi Doc thanks for reply You would think that vag would examine these egr valves as they must have replaced thousands in the last few years its a shame we are just being used to do there research for them .I just hope if i replace my egr it will last thanks Pete
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

As Doc said if the part number of your existing egr valve has been superseded this/that is not an indication that the new part in your case the egr valve will be any better than your existing faulty one in long term reliability. I had mine replaced last year under the trust build measure because it was playing up and I asked the mechanic (VW technician) about the new egr valve being a uprated one but he did not really know and said it would be getting a Wahler egr valve fitted which is supposed to be one of the better makes of egr valve that VW use, also they fitted a new turbo as well because upon removal of the egr flexi take off pipes one of the exhaust manifold studs/bolts snapped off and VWs protocol when this happens is to change the whole exhaust manifold / combined turbo. But I think as many other VW , Audi, Skoda or Seat diesel vehicle owners have said once its out of the 2 year trust build measure warranty get it remapped to its original state or better performance for more bhp to try to ensure a bit more reliability than VWs crappy fix. Oh and another thing is that any parts that are fitted under the trust build measure are not covered by a parts guarantee as you have not paid for them. So basically you could get your new egr valve fitted one month under the goodwill warranty and if it went faulty within lets say a couple of months out of your warranty they are not obliged to fix it for free.
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

HI thanks for reply from what i have read on many websites some dealers are asking you to make small payment towards cost to cover part warranty many thanks for replying it helps us all to understand how they are dealing with these ongoing issues Thanks Pete :D
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 am I don't know pal, it's not something I've ever looked into. I guess you could check if your EGR part number has been superseded in the parts catalog but that's not always a indication of a change to improve something.
HI Doc i found this information on internet and it explains about egr valve and the causes for failure i found it informative link to page https://triscan.dk/en/news/egr-valve-st ... -and-money thanks Pete
EGR VALVE STILL COSTS VAG CAR OWNERS, REPAIR SHOPS AND WHOLESALERS BUGS AND MONEY
Many workshops and wholesalers have gradually become acquainted with the frequently used EGR-valve that applies to diesel engines of the types 1.4, 1.6, 1.9 and 2.0 TDIs. Despite several attempts, VAG or other aftermarket actors have not succeeded in solving the problem. Based on our own technical studies, we in this article unveil why the EGR valve stops working too quickly.

The fundamental cause of the EGR valve problem with the latest OE number. 03L131512DQ is inconveniences in its design and selection of components in and around the valve itself and its control mechanism. The design allows exhaust gas to penetrate parts of the valve's mechanical and electronic control.

Triscan EGR valve 8813 29102 / VAG OE-no. 03L131512DQ

When the EGR valve is closed and does not lead exhaust gas into the intake manifold, pressure is built on the back of the valve (the side of the valve where the exhaust gas supply takes place). The tolerance between the valve and the valve control sleeve results in the exhaust gas being directed into the adjacent chamber (see illustration A, item 1).

Illustration A Illustration B

In the chamber, where the gas has found its way to, the valve control is connected to the control mechanism valve positioning hook (see illustration B, item 1). The valve positioning is controlled by rotating the hook by means of an electric motor and the two components are connected to each other via an axle. The hook and the electronics for controlling the electric motor are located in separate compartments (see illustration A, item 2 and 3). The exhaust gas utilizes the shaft seal and the needle bearing to find its way from one chamber to another.

The image clearly shows how the exhaust gas has penetrated and melanised the chamber and the parts included in the valve control mechanism

The penetrating exhaust gas has several negative impacts, which over time will lead the EGR-valve not to work properly or to fail.

1. The needle bearing is soiled with soot, which means that the function of the bearing is reduced.
2. Condensation is formed, which means that the needle bearing begins to corrode. Over time, the function of the bearing reduces and eventually fails completely.
3. For the electric motor, the consequences of a defective needle bearing are that the electric motor is unable to rotate the shaft and thereby activate the valve.
4. And for the electric circuit the soot formation can over time cause the electric circuit to fail.

The image clearly shows how the exhaust gas has penetrated and the circuit board and its components are soiled with soot

VAG software update after the dieselgate scandal also has an influence on the EGR valve
Many of the cars equipped with this type of EGR valve are part of the dieselgate scandal. VAG has offered the owners a software update for the engine control which should solve the emission-related issues, especially nitrogen oxides (NOx). It is therefore also important to mention that a software update has a major impact on the EGR valve. After an update, the EGR valve will be activated much more often and thus be subjected to a much larger wear.

Whats next?
As mentioned – and for the time being – there is no solution to the problem, we can only explain why it's going wrong. As a workshop or wholesaler, it is important to know the background and to be able to explain the problem. It doesn’t matter to what garage the car owner will take the car to get it fixed – the problem is the same – also at a VAG-certified garage. At Triscan we keep up to date with the latest development, have a close dialogue with our manufacturers and will disclose any relevant information as soon as news is released

Industry
Gas Springs
Hose Clamps
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Van has now been with dealer for 8 days while we negotiate between dealer and volkswagen it was found to have faulty egr valve passed between dealer and volkswagen eventually a compromise deal i had to accept . Been told van will be ready to collect sat morning just hope and pray its ok. Not much hope for future as i am sure E189 update that caused problem in first place will do its best to ruin this new part :( :(
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi All Just saying a big Thank You To My Local Dealer & Volkswagen Customer Services for helping me get my van sorted .At the moment all is ok but I am still concerned for the what the future holds in store for all us loyal vw owners as there does not seem to be a solution to these parts failing again & again Thanks Pete
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi All this is an update on my post after getting new EGR fitted under TBM at a cost of £285 pounds to me as i had my update done by dealer before purchase in 2016 .I posted E189 Update had no choice where all the details about my ordeal are listed. Since then I have had to make a choice on what to do to try and make this EGR last longer as the update makes this component work much harder do i stick with my 2 year warranty or do i rollback software to prefix . I chose to rollback as VW did not respond to any Questions that i asked about component being updated .I have lost all my faith and trust in VW that i had over the many years i have owned and driven there vehicles. Since rollback car does not do regeneration of DPF every few miles better MPG much more torque in lower gears very pleased with outcome so far ONLY TIME WILL TELL :D :D :D
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi All I am just putting this article back to the top of reading as i think its useful information for members to read as they are still sending out letters asking people to get EA189 updates done .As I knew nothing about TBM