Looking at buying my first caddy

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
D199152M
Caddy2k Groupie

Looking at buying my first caddy

Post by D199152M »

Hi all!, i was wondering if theres anything i should be looking out for when looking for a 1.6 tdi caddy maxi. Coming from an s3 im looking forward to doing a bit of travelling and converting. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)
PhilipO
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Looking at buying my first caddy

Post by PhilipO »

Hey,
I have a maxi life -12 dsg 1.6tdi since 4 years, bought it used and drove from 95000km -> 185000km . Happy user, with the only complaint is that my parking heater stopped working with circulation pump, which were swapped last year. This year I'm having struggles with injectors or similar, which seem to be somewhat common issue.

I built my bed at the same level as folded seats and have kitchen and storage below, works just fine and is not a permanent solution, so I swap in and out a couple of times per year.
russed99
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by russed99 »

I'm looking at a maxi life with a temporary camper setup. How does it work for you PhilipO?
ilovefullstops
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by ilovefullstops »

I picked up a maxi startline ex-sky van a fortnight ago. No problems to report thus far. I'd recommend them highly actually.

It had its 5 yr major service to picked it up with the cam belt and clutch both done and had been maintained at VW Edinburgh throughout. Had 4 michelins on with loads of tread. Scribed in ply lining. Has parking sensors, cruise, AC, hill hold assist. Bodywork is great as all the sky vans are wrapped in their advertising. Great so far. You will find them on Autotrader and the like usually with rhino ladder locks on top that you can sell for £50-100.

I'm just about to convert mine with a pull-out bed in the back like this

If gas pains persist, try Volkswagen...
Jmarsh
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jmarsh »

Hi there!

Hope the van is going well.

I also have a caddy max ex sky van.

How did you remove the white plastic boarding in the back?

And also have you found that the windows are tinted or just covered with the white metal.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ilovefullstops
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by ilovefullstops »

I’m a bit late here haha. I just cut the rivets with an angle grinder for the metal on the rear door windows and then cut the plastic itself for the boarding in the window wells in the rear
If gas pains persist, try Volkswagen...