Rear lowering help

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
MaxiBlueCad
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Rear lowering help

Post by MaxiBlueCad »

Hi all, any help would be very appreciated, I've just lowered the rear on my caddy mk3 maxi and the rivet on the leaf spring is lining up with the hole in the lower plate you get with the kit, what am I doing wrong does the axel need to move forward a bit to line up, pulling my hair out as can figure it out
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Re: Rear lowering help

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate, from what you’ve described I presume you mean that the rivet ISN’T lining up?
If so I think you need to move the axle forwards but this will result in the wheels sitting too far forwards in the arch. I’d this is the case, Axle relocation plates are what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
MaxiBlueCad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MaxiBlueCad »

I've been looking at them but wasn't sure if I needed them, I got the stance coilover kit but no instuctions which I find strange, it's my first alex flip lol,
Korky
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Korky »

MaxiBlueCad wrote:Hi all, any help would be very appreciated, I've just lowered the rear on my caddy mk3 maxi and the rivet on the leaf spring is lining up with the hole in the lower plate you get with the kit, what am I doing wrong does the axel need to move forward a bit to line up, pulling my hair out as can figure it out
Ensure both leafs are flipped and you are not trying to line up one side before doing the other.
You need to push the beam into the correct position with both sides loose, and nip up one side, followed by the other.

See if someone can give you a hand, it will be easier with two people, and a lot easier if you are using a two post lift.

MaxiBlueCad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MaxiBlueCad »

That's were o probably went wrong as I done one side at a time 👍I'll have to re do it, thanks for the advice
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Good luck mate

Rescue me from the swans in me
hef355
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Rear lowering help

Post by hef355 »

Hi mate thats good advice from the guys. Just to add on axle centralising. Depending on how low you want to go really but if the axle has been pushed forward just drill another hole same diameter next to the centre hole of the plate you have. Done this a couple of times and works fine. Its a thick old plate but if you have access to a pillar drill and even better a good cobalt bit it will work a treat for you. Darkside do an off centre plate with their ultra low kit so just replicate that on your current plate. Heres some images ImageImage

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

bascally what I'm going to do. Ive taken out the 15mm locator collar thing that you get with the kit, which puts the axle about 5mm further back (as the hole is larger than the non-removeable pin in the leaf spring).
I will be removing both lower plates again and drilling two holes in them approximately 15mm further forwards, as per the Darkside kit up there^^

i've got the Stance kit too, and after dialling in the front today and fitting lowered adjustable drop links, It handles superbly.....I'm actually surprised by how good it feels now .

This is on the middle hole at the back
MaxiBlueCad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MaxiBlueCad »

Thanks for all the advice I'll give it a go Sunday, where do you get the adj drop links from as I'm not going super low just want it sitting right
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

you might not need them. Mine was clonking from the anti roll bar hitting the wishbone on the nearside.... I got the Road nutz ones from spring-loaded .co.uk.
Watch youtube to see how to set them up 'neutrally'
MaxiBlueCad
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by MaxiBlueCad »

Nice one thank you 👍 Do they do rear drop links as well
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

MaxiBlueCad wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 pm Nice one thank you 👍 Do they do rear drop links as well
I never looked into that fella.... cut the bump stops down two chunks and you should be fine. Make sure you torque anything with rubber bushes when the weight is on the van, not in the air👍
R25kav
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by R25kav »

Some good info . I have just got a stance kit and will be tackling the job of fitting them at the weekend .