EA 189 service.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Wayne88
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

EA 189 service.

Post by Wayne88 »

I’ve just had this letter through from VW asking if I’d like to have the EA 189 voluntary service done.
Am I right in thinking this is for the emissions?
And should I do it? Sure I saw a few peoples caddy suffer after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lal138
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: EA 189 service.

Post by lal138 »

Hi Wayne i would stay well away from E189 update .Check out my post E189 I had no choice .I have since had mine rolled back to original software . Different van on MPG lower gear Torque and no more endless regeneration of Dpf YOUR CHOICE
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate, myself personally, I decided not to have it done as I believe it causes further problems with the EGR, injectors etc. However, VW do offer a 2 year warranty on these parts if you have the update done. There’s quite a bit of info on this subject on here though, so have a read through and make an informed decision

Rescue me from the swans in me
Wayne88
Caddy Fan

Post by Wayne88 »

lal138 wrote:Hi Wayne i would stay well away from E189 update .Check out my post E189 I had no choice .I have since had mine rolled back to original software . Different van on MPG lower gear Torque and no more endless regeneration of Dpf YOUR CHOICE
Cheers guys, I had a look at your post and think I’ll give it a miss. I use mines for work and it’s never skipped a beat yet. I’m not away to tamper with it just cause vw made a mistake.
I’ve never really looked at the re-gen process of dpf on my van so will now look out for the fans running.
And I do buy supermarket fuel too. Are you better to put redex or equivalent through the engine?

Cheers

Wayne88
Caddy Fan

Post by Wayne88 »

the swan fiend wrote:Hi mate, myself personally, I decided not to have it done as I believe it causes further problems with the EGR, injectors etc. However, VW do offer a 2 year warranty on these parts if you have the update done. There’s quite a bit of info on this subject on here though, so have a read through and make an informed decision ImageImageImage

Image cheers

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Again, my personal opinion, but I stay away from supermarket fuel mate.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Wayne88
Caddy Fan

Post by Wayne88 »

Do we think an engine carbon clean helps with any of it? Possibly help with the dpd from clogging up. I’ve had my egr deleted electronically to help it.

SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

In response to the above -

Carbon clean - is probably not worth bothering with, unless you believe your tailpipe emissions are very marginal. With luck it could marginally delay the point at which your Diesel Particulate Filter will need to be replaced, but I suspect the effect will be short lived. Personally I would just keep the cash to help pay for an eventual Particulate Filter replacement whenever that falls due.

As for software deleting the EGR – I have some doubts about how wise that is long term.

Yes the obvious benefit is that the Check Engine Light won’t be lit up, so the car might be able to pass an MOT, and for now you will not incur the cost of replacing the EGR (mine was £770 fitted – but my 4motion entailed more labour than a 2wd. However my Caddy had already done 200,000km before the EGR needed replacement - so that is actually not a massive expense per KM travelled.

I assume whoever did the work fully explained how the various emission system elements interact and alerted you to the potential consequences I fear that simply hiding an EGR problem could result in other problems and eventually be a costly decision.