Rear barn door check strap

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Dog walker
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Rear barn door check strap

Post by Dog walker »

Start again on my MK4 the rear barn door check strap on nearside will not hold the door open
Both sides appear to be identical can't see any thing missing or broken has anyone any ideas before I order a new one thanks
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Rear barn door check strap

Post by Doc »

Can you posts a photo of the side that's not holding open?
On the door side there is a cylindrical metal piece which can degrade and leave the door not latching open.
On the body side the metal "hook" might also be a bit slack through wear and tear
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Dog walker
Caddy Fan

Post by Dog walker »

I understand where you are coming from doc the cylindrical piece is still there and door side looks exactly the same as the other side thought maybe could just tweek something sorry no pics I'll get round to doing Tapatalk one day
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

I’ve had a similar issue. It mat be the hook that the door clips into when opened has snapped. Have a look mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Dog walker
Caddy Fan

Post by Dog walker »

Can't see anything broken at all and nothing different from one door to other the spring is fine the roller is fine vans only done 40000 last one had 140000 on it doors never did this it's a blinking nuisance when you've got both hands full of dogs think I'll just order a new one see what that does
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Swap the body side part over from left to right and vise versa, if the problem moves you know you know it's that part at fault.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Dog walker
Caddy Fan

Post by Dog walker »

Fixed it bought a new one £15 from TPS £24 of eBay rip off eBay you have to be so carefull
borgwarrior
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by borgwarrior »

I had the same issue years ago. With a flat screwdriver I bent the metal detent back to the original place, and it's holding it back as it should.
Dog walker
Caddy Fan

Post by Dog walker »

Actually I tried that and it snapped like a twig
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Which part did you buy, the part on the body or the door??

Dog walker
Caddy Fan

Post by Dog walker »

The part on body doc as I say tried to tweek it a bit and snap it anyway back to normal now no doors closing while putting dogs in van