rear quarter panel damage

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
scatman75
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

rear quarter panel damage

Post by scatman75 »

hi i need some advice,i bought my caddy with known rear quarter panel damage just around the taillight,its pretty much disfigured the taillight curve ,i need advice on to either try and repair what's there or cut it out and reweld new piece in, any advice from panel beaters here very welcome,i do what it looking correct so not sure if panel beating can achieve this..

romantic sorry poems
skinnyd
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: rear quarter panel damage

Post by skinnyd »

Looks bad. Why would you buy a knowingly damaged vehicle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scatman75
200BHP+

Post by scatman75 »

skinnyd wrote:Looks bad. Why would you buy a knowingly damaged vehicle ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's not the question I asked mate ,best stick to topic ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

dub_nutz
100BHP+

Post by dub_nutz »

It could be repaired but you would need to find a good panel beater with plenty of metal experience as it looks to have stretched
in many places and would need heat shrinking or find a secondhand section and have it cut and welded in.

You want to keep it as local to the damaged area as possible tho because thats a big quarter panel and a dark colour which would show any imperfections.

Either way if you want it right its quite a tricky repair.
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Stedlocks »

see if @barbell 's mate could sort it? He does PDR and is a bit good. Dent fx, i thinks he's called?
scatman75
200BHP+

Post by scatman75 »

Stedlocks wrote:see if @barbell 's mate could sort it? He does PDR and is a bit good. Dent fx, i thinks he's called?
I'm in Australia mate ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Stedlocks »

Ah... well don’t whinge about it then!😂
Yeti
200BHP+

Post by Yeti »

I'm not saying it can't get beaten out, but you'll need someone who's good to do it as that dent really looks complex. The problem you're going to find is it's a big, smooth, panel, so it's a question of where you could put a weld or a paint blend without it looking a pig.

Ours took some damage in the same area and the only reason we got it repaired was because it has a side loading door on that side, so it gave the painter somewhere to mask a line to paint up to (slider rail and door frame), otherwise it would have been a big paint job that wouldn't have been cost effective.
Sorry chaps, much as our 2k looks nice, I prefer my Mk2. ;)
Darylg21
200BHP+

Post by Darylg21 »

Best to weld a new section in. Whole panel would need to be painted, or at least laqcured. No Per expert on this earth is going to make that look good.

The metal will be stretched and tight in places where you don't want it to be.

If you try and miracle pull it (weld pins on the lower sections and tap down the highs when you are pulling in the pins) you can get it somewhat where it needs to be. YouTube miracle pull system to see what I'm on about.

Problem after that is that you will require a lot of filler to get the correct shape on the panel, whilst keeping the swage line.

Then a good quality 2k primer that isn't going to shrink back in 6months. And a good quality laqcure that will hold its gloss, but if I'm honest, even a good panel beater with a week on this and a good painter with a day painting this, I guarantee that the repair will look wavey or different to what it should do, you will only get about 90% perfection..

With a new panel welded on you will gain a much higher perfection level, and it should be cheaper as it's less labour intensive...if the bodyshop you take it too can't weld a panel inplace then I wouldn't trust them to pull out and fill...

Also if that came to me you would be looking at around £700+ including the panel.. Fully painted lifetime gurantee etc etc..