Badger's Caddy Manual to DSG Build

Show off your caddy
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Badger's Caddy Manual to DSG Build

Post by Badger89 »

Originally planning on keeping the Caddy standard for work purposes, slight change in circumstances mean I can modify it to work for me.

I drive many miles in stop start traffic so always preferred automatics (I have my motorbike for speed).

With a decent spec DSG Caddy Maxi costing a good £2k+ over a manual version - I decided I would build my own.

Having sourced a fully working donor (very very cheap) to get the parts I need and wiring, I'll be fitting all this into the Caddy once I have build what I need outside on the bench.

I got the Passat instead of the Touran based version due to the longer ratio, lower initial cost and access to wiring diagrams - these DQ250 DSG are also the updated mechatronic version and has been serviced regularly.

There are a few other parts to sort on this Caddy while I'm at it and will converting to ASZ while I'm there.

Done

Front Discs and Pads
FADR Stage 1 Remap

To Do

Lower Dog Bone Mount
6 Speed DSG Gearbox Conversion
Carpet Lining and Workshop
Cruise
Clocks
Seats
Last edited by Badger89 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Badger's Caddy Maxi Build

Post by Badger89 »

Brakes and Wing Mirror

Treated the van with some new discs and pads (courtesy of ECP MID60 sale) and ripped out the old manky floor and gave it a good clean - this needs to be sterile...

Also accidentally knocked off the wing mirror when closing the door, turns out someone decided to hot glue the old one back on - so needed a temporary fix for the mean time.

Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Badger's Caddy Maxi Build

Post by Badger89 »

As this is going to be the new business van, I needed to clean it up, fit security locks and build the workshop to the rear, here is the start.

Next step is to finish off the locks and build the desk and storage followed by some drivetrain upgrades.

Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Badger's Caddy Manual to DSG Build

Post by Badger89 »

Original post updated and finished installing the security locks and building the workshop in the rear.ImageImage
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Badger89 »

Update - DSG conversion started

Bench and rear shelving are in, just need to carpet it all now;

DSG conversion is also underway with the donor car stripped of all parts and the Caddy removed of all 5 Speed gearbox with bits.

Just waiting for the new flywheel to arrive then it'll be fitted and the wiring commences.

Darylg21
200BHP+

Post by Darylg21 »

Keeping my eye on the one, looks very interesting. Will the drivshafts swap over onto the caddy? Or is there some CV changes to be had??
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Badger89 »

DSG Update

It's fitted! Well sort of...

I bought a DSG flywheel for the 1.9TDI engine as they are different to the 2.0TDI from the donor car.

The gearbox was lifted up from underneath and it required the passenger console / subframe to be unbolted and pulled away. It bolted to the engine perfectly fine and held in the van using the Passat gearbox mounts, starter and driveshafts.

Research showed that the 2.0TDI Passat Shafts are the same as the Touran / Caddy DSG driveshafts and bolt straight in with no modifications.

Just waiting for the DSG selctor to arrive as the Passat variant doesn't fit. These are the same as the Golfs / Leon but different to Touran / Caddy.

Next step is to sort the coolant piping and then attack the wiring ImageImageImageImageImage
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by tommyzooom »

Very interesting, and brave :D
Keep the pictures coming 8)
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
Bamboo_Caddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Bamboo_Caddy »

Wow, well done for taking this on. Will be sweet when its done :)
1.9 TDI (Remap)
SWB Caddy
Bamboo Green
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Badger89 »

Thank you, when complete I'll compile a guide
Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Badger89 »

Its complete and driving - wiring all completed and coolant plumbed in - covered a 155 mile trip without faults Image

james400
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by james400 »

Well do mate did you have to do anything regarding abs pump or ecu as the ecu is for a manual not auto?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Badger89
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Badger89 »

The ECU is the same on Caddy for both Manual and Automatic so it's simply a softcode change to say it's now automatic.

I do have a fault in the mechatronics unit for ABS however, that is due to the gearbox from the Passat expecting a different ABS controller than the Caddy. It still drives perfectly fine and changes gear as expected.

Looking at getting the gearbox refreshed to a Touran / Caddy firmware to see if that solves the issue.
Mtb993
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mtb993 »

Wow, amazing job, looks very OEM. bravo.
Caddy Maxi Kombi 2012 1.6tdi - subtle mods.
Cundyowl
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Cundyowl »

This is cool as hell . 8) I’m really thinking of doing this to mine . I have a ASZ engine sat ready to go in maybe a dsg gearbox could make the difference . What’s involved with the wiring ?