How to remove black film/paint on rear door windows.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
CaddyCaddyCaddyMike
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

How to remove black film/paint on rear door windows.

Post by CaddyCaddyCaddyMike »

Hi folks,

I would like to remove the black film/paint on the inside of the rear door windows and replace with a dark tint. 8)

What's the best way to do this? Is it possible? :?:

Also, I'd like to add a rear view mirror to help when I'm reversing in tight spots... :arrow: How do I take off that little plastic cone from inside of the front windscreen where the rear view mirror should be and where can I find a suitable rear view mirror to install in its place?

Cheers, Mike :D
Cabbs
Hyper Poster

Re: How to remove black film/paint on rear door windows.

Post by Cabbs »

Is the rear window covered in film or paint? If its paint your gonna have a problem because your rear heated window wont work if you break the element lines. If its film just use a heat gun and slowly peel it away. Any residue will come off with petrol but wipe it slowly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mainframex
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Mainframex »

You will need a heater gun for best results and than pull the film off after heating slowly.
Katiecaddy
200BHP+

Post by Katiecaddy »

Had ours done last week, best way as mentioned is to heat gently and remove by peeling slowly
skinnyd
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by skinnyd »

Cabbs wrote:Is the rear window covered in film or paint? If its paint your gonna have a problem because your rear heated window wont work if you break the element lines. If its film just use a heat gun and slowly peel it away. Any residue will come off with petrol but wipe it slowly. Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Why would a painted glass have heater elements if it was never intended to be see though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg The Great
100BHP+

Post by Greg The Great »

skinnyd wrote: Why would a painted glass have heater elements if it was never intended to be see though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To keep your hands warm when bump starting it.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

:lol: :lol: true
Kaddyken
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Kaddyken »

An older post I've just come across. I removed the film from ours last night. Just picked away at an edge with a fingernail to get a start. Then heated the outside of the window with a normal hairdryer. Surprisingly didn't need a lot of heating considering it was chilly last night. Just enough to soften the film adhesive. Any remaining adhesive came off easily by a light spray with WD40 and then a rub with a cloth. A wipe over with methylated spirits to remove the oily residue then a polish up with glass cleaner.
edie209
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by edie209 »

@kaddyken Been looking at my rear windows and was convinced that it was painted because it goes to the very edge of the glass from what I can see, was your like that?
I have a rear view mirror fitted which is Strange
jamesberry
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jamesberry »

Removing this film is one of the first things I plan to do when I get my Caddy so I can see when driving / reversing. I have seen lots of mention to paint here. Really hope there were not variants with painted blackout. My Caddy will be 2019 but I have only very briefly felt the interior window surface at the dealership......felt like a film to me but will have to investigate when I take delivery.