Sensible amount to lower?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Morning all, looking to lower the vanette first thing in the new year, fed up of nearly falling out the window going round corners!

The plan is get a set of 17" or 18" black sportline alloys on before Christmas.
Ideally I'd like to proper lower it but it's not very practical since I'm a tiler that almost always has about 200kg of adhesive and tools in the back at all times.
So Iv been looking around at people's drops and I think with the bigger alloys on I'm leaning towards just the 45mm, considering the weight that's in the van already, I really don't want rubbing and scraping, had enough of that on my first VW polo 11 years ago lol.
I stil want it to look lowered cause it may aswel be on stilts at the moment, but I also want it to be practical and ride as smooth as possible considering I'm driving alot.

So what are my best options?
Would coilovers stil be the better option with just a 45mm drop or could the standard shocks take just the springs, without compromising to much comfort?
Iv heard VW do a 45mm spring set, would they be suitable or would aftermarket be better?

(I'm only going by what Iv read from people on here that actually know what they are talking about) I'm by no means an expert on springs or lowering.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Also I'm loving the help I'm getting in this forum so thanks lads

Cheers

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi mate. I used the ST kit which was front coilovers, rear shocks and shackles. I’m also on 17” 225 wheels. The ride is quite comfy and it handles much better.
Here’s a few pics before and after. Mine was very high at the rear to start.....arches were 130mm about tyres and 90mm above on front. Now 50mm ish all round. I don’t carry significant weight though. Maximum is probably about. 100-120kg.
Before lowering:ImageAfter:Image from what I’ve read, the standard shocks don’t last that long if you don’t change them. They’re under more pressure.
Hope you get something sorted mate Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Re: Sensible amount to lower?

Post by gazza31112 »

Thanks man, that's the kind of drop I'm looking for, not too much but stil looks good.
Like your colour aswel

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Cheers mate. It’s an ex gas van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Thought so lol

Jcobain
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Jcobain »

Could you not get gas rear shocks and adjust the stiffness to stop the extra weight being such an issue?