Interior lights and sliding door locking issues.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Interior lights and sliding door locking issues.

Post by Yourfiend »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum as I've just bought a 2010 1.9tdi caddy maxi to do a camper conversion. Only had it a few days and a few little problems have arisen that I would like to sort before beginning my conversion.

Problem 1 which i noticed yesterday: When I set my cab or rear interior light to come on when the doors are open both stay on constantly. I have no lights on the dash to say the doors are open (although I'm not even sure if this is a feature?)and when opening the doors the courtesy lights dont illuminate on either door.

Problem 2 I've discovered today: rear sliding doors lock/unlock intermittently. I noticed that my sliding rear doors are not always locking from the central locking, but if I open them and slam shut they then lock. I had a mess around with this today and both doors locked and wouldn't open, although managed to solve this by giving the door a quick shove around the lock mechanism, didn't take much force and I heard the mechanism unlock the doors..

I've spent hours searching through different forums including this one, so apologies if I've missed the answer.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers, Dan
JayLipscombe
Caddy2k Groupie

Re: Interior lights and sliding door locking issues.

Post by JayLipscombe »

Have you had any luck with fixing or narrowing down what it could be I have the same fault and is driving me crazy, I have also found my caddy I turned auto lock on when driving and I can go over a speed bump or pothole and the sliding door will unlock and lock again like its a loose connection?
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Still having the same issues. With no joy diagnosing either. Can anyone help? And are they likely to be related or should I look at them as 2 separate issues?

I also need to know if I should have a warning light on the dash when doors are open? Currently showing nothing..
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

@JayLipscombe

I think the sliding door issue is something to do with connections in the rear doors. I can unlock the van which leaves the sliding door locked. Then when I pull off I hear them unlock as I hit a bump. I still cant work out if this and the problem with interior lights etc are connected or 2 separate problems. I've been reading into it alot and I've got a feeling it might have something to do with the comfort control module. I pulled fuse 14 to reset the ccm and my interior lights worked as they should until I started the car and pulled off, now back to square one.
Last edited by dan@biali on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted quote and added username tag
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

I've booked in to see an auto electrician on friday. I'll update the post if I get any answers. Noticed my doors locked today when sharp braking..

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

On your caddy the sliding door has a switch just below the contact block on the pillar.
It's a spring loaded switch which mates with a conical protrusion on the door.
These have been known to fail and cause the problems you describe.
Try placing a small piece of sponge or simply into the switch and shit the door, see if that makes it work.

The switches used to be £18 from VW but last time I checked they were more like £50.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Hi, thanks for the reply... do you mean the switch with three contacts? Do I just put sponge into the female part it mates with?
Cheers,
Dan
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

The point with the contacts (x6) I refer to as the contact block, the 2004-2010 Caddys have a switch just below that.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Cheers, must have missed this, I'll go have a look shortly.
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Just filled the bottom switches with sponge as suggested and it seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks so much for the advice!

But it still hasn't solved my problem with the interior lights or door open warning lights. Any ideas where I go from here?

Also, what are the switches for at the top of the sliding door?

Cheers,
Dan
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

Don't consider the sponge as a solution, your switch will need to be replaced in the near future.
There is no switch at the top, just a spring loaded locator.

Next step would be to determine which of the other doors are open, possibly by means of VCDS.

Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Yeah ill have to look for switches but at least I've diagnosed the problem now and know where to start... very grateful for the advice as this has been driving me nuts!

I've just disconnected my battery for a while and after reconnecting all seems good interior lights working as they should, although I haven't driven the van yet so I dont know if this definately fixed.

Should I have a warning light on the dash to show that doors are open?? Because i dont when opening any doors..

Thanks again for the help regarding this, really appreciated!!
John M
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by John M »

I wrapped the knob bit of the connection (on the door) with two turns of gaffer tape and its sorted the same problem on mine.
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

I've ordered a new genuine switch for one side, only £18.50 on ebay. Can only find used parts otherwise so I'll have to keep my eye out for one for the other door. Will give me the opportunity to strip the old one down and have a look at it at least. Going for a drive in a bit so I'll report back if all my problems are solved.
Hopefully will be canceling my appointment with the auto electrician on friday and saving myself a few quid.

How do I buy one of the caddy 2k sticker packs to contribute a bit too the forum? I've got a feeling this is going to be a major resource for me!
Yourfiend
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Yourfiend »

Just been out in the van and everything is working fine with sponge in the switch!! Cheers doc for the advice. Now I just need to find another switch as there was only 1 new one on ebay.