Caddy injector Failure - 27500 miles

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
flowersnapper
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by flowersnapper »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and sincerely hoping you can help me. My Caddy van was bought new in 2104 and unfortunately involved in emissions scandal. I had the fix done as soon as notified, not knowing at the time it was not legal requirement. A few weeks ago van went into limp mode on the outside lane of M56 which was very scary, and It was pure good fortune the car behind was far enough away not to go into the back of me. Not a good experience trying to get over to hard shoulder.

VW van centre said No 1 injector had gone, and I was forced to pay over £600 for a replacement. I no longer feel safe in the van, and imagine it is only a matter of time before another injector goes, as it is a result of the fix that has been applied. I wrote to the MD and am apparently going to get a 50% refund, but feel it should be fully refunded. It is out of 24 month warranty for fix.

I have had an automated ramp fitted to the van for wheelchair/scooter access at an additional cost of £12K, otherwise I would have sold it as I do not feel safe anymore, and I might not be so lucky next time. I love the van except for the engine and it safety issue.

Is it possible to have the deisel engine replaced with petrol, and would this totally eliminate the problem related to emmissions issue? I have automatic gearbox, not sure if this makes a difference.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated. Are there any independent garages that could advise on this matter.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance

Chris
peely
Hyper Poster

Re: Caddy injector Failure - 27500 miles

Post by peely »

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum, I’m sorry that you have fell foul of the injectors issue that the 1.6 diesel has , I’m saying 1.6 diesel I presume. Anyway it has nothing to do with the emissions (ea189) update that you had done, the injectors have an electrical weakness in the top part of the unit, I had 1 go down a few months ago but I replaced all 4 with the new s code injectors as I didn’t want it to fail on me again, I think with stretch bolts and stuff it was a£950 job , I coded them myself, I personally have had the emissions rolled back done as it does affect other systems on the 1.6 diesel such as mpg, bhp,re generation of the dpf, egr valve, but it’s also not helped with people using supermarket fuels and cheap oil services. So the 1.6 engine has its faults but done properly and looked after with genuine parts it’s a peach , hope this sheds some light on the issues, there are people on this forum that can explain it in much finer detail than me Chris 👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Hi me again , yes the injectors are covered bye the ea189 update 2 year good will warranty 👍
Golf mk6 seats,Touran rear seats,carpet,console,2017 caddy life mfsw,Audi s3air vents, passsat w8 interior light, golf mk6gttdi wheels,rear barn door spoiler , rns 510 head unit , revers camera,boarded and carpeted rear with led strip lights, mk4 rear lights .
Eastie
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Eastie »

I have a 2012 caddy maxi. I haven’t had emissions done. I have had 3 injectors replaced and am waiting on the 4th to go. The garage I have used does them all the time. They told me earlier this year there was a shortage of available injectors as locally VW bought them all back from suppliers to carry out warranty repairs causing a shortage of supply. He also said a fair number of his customers have paid to have them all done at once. He has had a few Bosch and othe brands replacements fail and will now only fit the genuine VDO Siemens injectors
The Aa now carry injectors and charge £650 to replace (last one I had done was £470 through a garage). It just shows how common a problem it is. Done correctly and if the injector comes out ok it can easily be done roadside. Id suggest querying if it’s a new part as well, I had one quote of £450 from a reputable local garage forgetting to mention they were using refurb injectors.

I would worry about the last injector going but It wont happen just yet , I can’t get out of limp mode with a faulty egr. That is the other weakness on the 1.6. :roll:
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, sounds like you’ve had a lucky escape there mate.....breakdowns like that are never nice!
Following on from what the other guys have said, there are 2 types of injectors fitted to the caddy. The earlier type are more prone to failure, VW now fit an improved version that are less prone to issues.
The old type has a B at the end of a part number, the new type has an S, I’d have a look what’s in yours before you make a decision to swap the other 3. Part number is on the top of the injector mate.

As for the question of doing an engine conversion, it is possible....but it’s an awful lot of work and isn’t cheap. Quite a few lads on here have done it. Mainly 2.0 petrol engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Stupolak1982
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stupolak1982 »

I've got a 2011 1.6 caddy. Had my fuel injectors replaced in June this year. Tuesday this week the van is now showing the same symptoms it did before I had them replaced. It's in limp mode, engine management light on and coil/glow plug light flashing. Is this something that happens regularly, Just one of those things or poor install? I've done just over 50k miles.
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Were all the offending injectors replaced or just 1 or 2 , do you now if the new s code injectors are in place of the old B code ones , who replaced them , do you now if they are re con ones ?.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Hi stupolak1982, first things first, have your van scanned with VCDS. It may be the same problem as before, could be something totally different. Lots of faults will give the symptoms you’re having mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by the swan fiend on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rescue me from the swans in me
Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

Is there a how to. On how to replace injectors and code them?
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
peely
Hyper Poster

Post by peely »

Hay Sean have a look on " injector failure again “ mate it’s in their I think , that’s where I looked when mine went.