Tips for removing accelerator pedal

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by the swan fiend »

Good afternoon gents. I will shortly be soundproofing the entire van including the cab. I’m not sure/confident about removing the accelerator pedal. I can’t see much information on here apart from one post where the photos won’t open.
Apart from the torx bolt, and, I’ve read, 2 clips at the bottom, is there anything else I need to be aware of? I don’t want to break anything!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Tips for removing accelerator pedal

Post by Doc »

The wiring plug is a bit difficult to remove but I've always had a ballache with the two clips at the bottom. One pushes back to release, one moves to the side.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Thanks for the reply Doc. I presume it’s a plug with a locking tab on? Yes they can be a bit fiddly in my experience. I’ll go easy with the clips.
I assume that unplugging it and refitting it with the ignition off will not cause any fault codes ?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Nah, there won't be any fault codes from unplugging it. The wiring plug release tab pushes down and you have to pull the plug up, just don't force it.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Cheers for the advice mate. I’ll be as careful as possible.

ViralEye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ViralEye »

I had the exact same issue earlier today when o was trying to get it off do I can get the carpet out.... I admitted defeat in the end

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

The problem with removing it is, you need to have a look at the clips which hold it to the floor because you can’t see which way they slide off from. As Doc says, each clip goes a different way. If you can find a picture of the clips somewhere then it’ll become a lot easier to understand how it unclips. I snapped the clips when I fitted Touran carpets but it didn’t make any difference as I was replacing it with a golf gti alloy type pedal.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Cheers for that mate. I’ll have about and see what I can find

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Having just spoke to ViralEye, he managed to remove his carpet without removing the pedal. I’ll give that a go first and hopefully save myself an awkward job!

Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

Removed mine a few years ago and I used two thin long screwdrivers which did not cause to much hassle. It is a case of getting them at the right angle into the tabs and a little gentle persuasion should remove it. VW have a special tool (T10240) to do this but not sure you can purchase one. Have seen picture of it though and it looks like it could be made quite easily.
stan-the-man
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by stan-the-man »

You can get a tool for it at VW. Think it’s was €10.00 or so but that was around 3 years ago. It inserts into slots at the base and releases them. Like a tool I broke my pedal trying to use random tools Image, then I got myself the tool.Image

ViralEye
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by ViralEye »

That's good to know as I'd like to eventually get nice pedals and don't want to go through all this again

Sent from my ONEPLUS6 using Tapatalk

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Well I managed to get the pedal loose today. Instead of undoing the 2 clips, I undid the small mounting plate held down by the 2 10mm nuts. I then rested it on the brake and clutch pedal. That’ll give me enough working room for now

DeanWhit
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by DeanWhit »

Apologies for reviving this thread but I've just bought the aluminium pedals and wondering if I need to swap the entire unit or is there a way of changing just the pedal part of the accelerator?
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Post by FishermansFriend »

If you swap over the entire new Golf peddle it wont fit, the base is different. You have to take the actual pedal off the golf accelerator base and install it on your Caddy pedal base.