Weird electrical gremlin

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Stickertone
100BHP+

Weird electrical gremlin

Post by Stickertone »

Hi guys , my caddy van is driving me mad, the rear barn door open sensor , hasn't worked for a few months, however that was better than now...... I was driving along today and the dash beeped at me and a picture of .the van appeared on the dash display, showing the back door open, the interior light in the cab and rear of the van came on..... The rear wiper is no longer working..... , I've switched the interior lights off manually to extinguish them , however, now at home, I locked the van and the alarm has gone off about 3 times in an hour, so have had to leave it unlocked ( not ideal) . I changed the rear lock with the microswitch in about 6weeks ago, that didn't change anything ( rear door alert didn't work before or after changing it) in wondering if it may be broken wire or wires going into the door , also wondering if it may be an earth as its affecting more than one thing ( sensor,and wiper... ) any thoughts boys? Cheers
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Weird electrical gremlin

Post by Giddy »

Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
RatMan
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by RatMan »

Definitely check all the wiring as I had an issue similar and found 2 broken wires.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dan@biali on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
ZappaF
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by ZappaF »

I had this problem a few weeks ago. I was advised to look at the lower passenger side barn door catch mechanism. I took it out, unplugged the electrical connector and gave everything a quick clean. There was a little bit of moisture in the electrical connector.
I put it back together and haven’t had the problem come back. No idea where the moisture came from as everything else was dry...
Mickthebell
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Mickthebell »

Same as me mate on my old one you can get a replacement lower catch with built in micro switch from TPS for around £20. It's easy to change
Stickertone
100BHP+

Post by Stickertone »

I changed it for a new one about 6 weeks ago ..... I may just unplug it so it doesn't think it's open , do I need to bridge it too ?ta
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

If you have problems with moisture in your barn door bottom lock, make sure your high level brake light isn't letting water in.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
tommyzooom
Hyper Poster

Post by tommyzooom »

IMO it's a poor design, which allows moisture to pool inside the connection housing.
It happened on every Caddy I had..... I removed the bottom door lock. Dried it out thoroughly, and put some grease in the housing. No problems since.
My Website
My Instagram

""Don't want to meet your daddy, just want you in my Caddy"" André 3000 (2003) ;)
Nathan107578
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Nathan107578 »

I had the same problem with my drivers door alarm kept going off it was the door locking mechanism £20 later from the scrapyard all sorted
ZappaF
Caddy Fan

Post by ZappaF »

Doc wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 pm If you have problems with moisture in your barn door bottom lock, make sure your high level brake light isn't letting water in.
Can anything be done to improve the seal of the brake light rubber to the door?
The flat light doesn’t fit brilliantly onto the slight curve of the door...
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

The seal which is part of the light is sufficient to take up the difference with the curve, it is important not to over tighten the light as it will split after it heat cycles and water will get in.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort