Wind noise

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Bubbles
Caddy2k Groupie

Wind noise

Post by Bubbles »

Hi All
Picked up my 2018 Black SWB Caddy on 14th December only 2800 miles on the clock from a local dealer .
My problem is wind noise I have narrowed it down and discovered it is caused by the drivers side wing mirror.
It’s a high pitch whistle and is very irritating. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to rectify this issue ?
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Wind noise

Post by Giddy »

Just type in "mirror whistle" in the search box and you'll get lot's to read. It's a common thing for caddy...
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Bubbles
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bubbles »

Thanks , visited the VW van centre on Friday and they were familiar with the problem . To solve it they are ordered new mirror covers for both side and then they are being colour coded at their body shop . They say this will solve the wind whistle problem because the paint will be thicker and not machine finished as they are when they come of the assembly line . Apparently the smooth finish causes the whistle and the new covers won’t be as smooth and will disrupt the wind pattern and get rid of the whistle
Gaztheplumber1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Gaztheplumber1 »

Giddy wrote:Just type in "mirror whistle" in the search box and you'll get lot's to read. It's a common thing for caddy...
Does fitting the window deflectors help with this issue? Noticed the whistle on mine saw a few caddys on ere with those fitted

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Barbel330
Hyper Poster

Post by Barbel330 »

Bubbles wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm Thanks , visited the VW van centre on Friday and they were familiar with the problem . To solve it they are ordered new mirror covers for both side and then they are being colour coded at their body shop . They say this will solve the wind whistle problem because the paint will be thicker and not machine finished as they are when they come of the assembly line . Apparently the smooth finish causes the whistle and the new covers won’t be as smooth and will disrupt the wind pattern and get rid of the whistle
That’s a new one on me, sounds a bit far fetched tbh so I’ll be interested to see what the outcome is.

As far as I know it’s a design fault and all caddy mirrors whistle. People stick rubber dots in strategic places and foam tape in the gaps to try and stop the noise but I’ve no idea how successful they are. A sure fire way to stop the noise is to upgrade to the smaller aero style mirrors which also look vastly better than the giant square ones.
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Giddy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by Giddy »

@Gaztheplumber1 Don't know mate, never had them on mine. I would though, they have potential to create more wind noise rather than reduce it :roll:
Caddy 4, Highline, 1.4 TSI
Instagram: @giddywagen
Build thread >>> here <<<
Gaztheplumber1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gaztheplumber1 »

@Giddy yeh thinking of putting some onto mine. Very true not sure if that would annoy me tho

Last edited by Doc on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
Philt32
100BHP+

Post by Philt32 »

I’ve got genuine wind deflectors on mine (well the ones bought from a dealership) and it doesn’t stop the mirror whistle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaztheplumber1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gaztheplumber1 »

Ok thanks for the update

sheepy92
Twin Turbo poster

Post by sheepy92 »

Painting wont make a blind bit of difference well it didnt when i painted myn its the shape of the mirror unfortunately not the best aerodynamic effeciency i forked out for some life mirrors theyre the nuts

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gaztheplumber1
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Gaztheplumber1 »

More good info cheers

Bubbles
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bubbles »

Well the new painted mirror covers provided by VW have improved the noise a bit ! . Now with the windows up and closed , I can no longer hear the continuous high pitched whistle . However if I open the window while travelling I can still hear the whistle but it’s not as loud as before .
Am tempted to go back to VW as the van is still under warranty for another year and then say to them that they need to replace those mirrors with something more aero .
You thoughts please ?
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Other than the sticky back velcro patch people put on, your only other option is the aero mirrors. Look so much better than the Dumbo ears.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

SunEye
Caddy Fan

Post by SunEye »

What fixed my mirror whistle completely was sticking Velcro (the fluffy piece) in the gap between the mirror and the mounting.

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

I did that, it reduced the whistle, added a second layer and it stopped it for a while, now come back at a higher pitch but quieter. Maybe I have inferior Velcro :D
Going to look later to see if I need a third layer , if not I’m putting insulting tape over it for now
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS