KPH to MPH using VCDS

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

KPH to MPH using VCDS

Post by Ripley55 »

Hi Chaps
I was reading a great little prompt from @Geraout, which read :
To show digital speed on the MFD you need to change the country details to Australia. I think that there is a European rule that requires speedos to show Mph & Kph which presumably doesn't apply in Australia.

The mod gives the option of switching off alt. speed display on the MFD settings; after which it shows the digital speed as one of the pages with fuel consumption trip time etc.

To set the country to Australia use controller 17 instruments and select the coding option. Open the long coding helper and select bit 4 and select Country Australia. Close the long coding helper and press Do It.

Once the coding had changed you can go into the settings on the MFD and change the units back to Mpg (GB) and miles as it will have defaulted to litres and km.

In the Settings menu untick the box for Alt. speed dis. the Kph speed will then be replaced with the outside temperature and will enable ... in the MFD Data menu. Tick the box for Digit. speed. If you switch Alt. speed back on, the digital speed option disappears.

This seems to confirm what I also saw on You Tube by Advanced-InCar.
I would really like/need to do this to mine, and have a friend lined up to do it for me in the future. My question is does anyone on here have any experience of doing this already using a VW main dealer or at home ? any hints ?

This is because my Caddy is booked in next Tuesday to have App Connect retro-fitted, and was going to ask that if it was a very quick Mod, could they do it there and then ? I just don't want to have my pants taken down if it's just 5-10 mins work say ?, as my mate will probably do it for me for Beer tokens :D although it's the arranging a time with him etc. which is a bit of a constraint as I'm currently starting on a Night-shift rota :(
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
James01
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: KPH to MPH using VCDS

Post by James01 »

It is pretty straightforward took 5 mins on mine
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Thanks for that James
The appointment I've got at the van Centre is for 07.30 am, so thinking OK I'll go there straight off Night shift, they said allow about 1.5 hrs to do the App Connect job, so if the Tech there is up for it, I'll ask him to add this coding while he's connected ?/ :D that's my plan anyway :) :)
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
Adamgav5000
Caddy Fan

Post by Adamgav5000 »

As James said, it took me under 5 minutes. It also allows you to return to the KPH setting using the MFD. Great little mod.
James01
100BHP+

Post by James01 »

Only problem might be a main dealer not doing it due to not having kmh displayed due to laws maybe. Worth a ask tho
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Spot on James
Sounds like they are reluctant to do this :roll: , so I've spoken to my mate who runs an independent VW garage, (who's going to put a new engine in my Beetle), and now going over there this Saturday, and going to have him do it. :D
Will post how I get on, as personally I think this is a must do Mod, I do go to France quite a bit, and I'll just tip it back to Kph temporarily in the MFD when I do go over.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Well took it over to my mate Steve today, I was dropping off some bits for my Classic Beetle, as he's fitting a new engine in for me, and I hassled him to hook me up to VCDS and try this Mod out.

It was exactly as @Geraout said in his post, 5 minutes later, and the Caddy thinks it an 'Aussie' :D and I've got MPH in big Numbers in my screen now, with the temp display back down where the KPH was permanently.
I'm well pleased :D :D
Stevemaxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stevemaxi »

This looks like a good mod to do, I need to just try to find someone in suffolk who does coding.
I thought about buying a cable and software but have never done any coding so am very concerned I would end up with a complete self inflicted mess :( probably wise to leave it to people who understand what they are doing and pay for their expertise :)
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

Hi @Stevemaxi
My mate who did this is in Suffolk same as me :D He's in the IP13 area mate. He's doing some other work for me on my Classic beetle, when I asked him how much to hook up VCDS and do this mod, he said he wouldn't charge anything to me as it was so embarrassingly quick to do :D
I'm booked in to Ipswich VW Van Centre straight from Nightshift on Tuesday morning at 07.30 to get my App Connect uploaded, shame they won't do that for free :(
Stevemaxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stevemaxi »

I just had my cambelt and health check done at wolsey van centre. They also got me on the VW Mot insurance policy which seems a good idea for about £12 one off payment so hopefully no big mot surprises for a while.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster

Post by Ripley55 »

What a NIGHTMARE
Booked in for 07.30 for App Connect install, left work this morning after a 12.5 hour shift, Heading for the Van Centre. Joined A14 about 06.40, and then didn't move for 3 hours !!!! :evil: :evil:
2 HGV's collided just before Orwell Bridge, trashed the ARMCO barrier and completely blocked both carriageways, eventually got turned around, and went home to bed at Mid day :( :(
James01
100BHP+

Post by James01 »

Definitely not what you want after a 12hr nightshift!
Stevemaxi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Stevemaxi »

The a14 seems to be getting a lot worse in Suffolk :cry: