caddy pd130 6 speed build thread

Show off your caddy
Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

caddy pd130 6 speed build thread

Post by Hcg123 »

hello to people of the internet

ive started a new project and thought i might do a build thread for a change.

so i geuss i better start at the beginning.........

i had a vw t25 panel van that i had been building for a good 6 months. the plan was to put a pd130 engine in it with a flipped passat box. im quite handy with fabrication and electrics. i managed to pick up the cleanest complete (turbo, loom, the lot) engine from ebay for only 200 quid!. the engine came from a university where they had it running on a bench to teach students about engines, its had 500 hours of use and they tell be its never been hammered. the turbo looks new, oil was perfect. after taking the cam cover off and realising i could eat my dinner off this lump i started to reconsider my choices on putting it in the t25. i need a new van for work soon and the t25 is no more than a weekend toy.

heres the lump as i picked it up

stuck the t25 on ebay and started looking for a clean shelled caddy with a knackered engine. stroke of luck came up and there was a decent shell just round the corner from me. with a shot gearbox and also a bit smokey full service history. new brakes and suspension. relatively clean and only one dent in rear door. inside is also carpeted and never been used as a builders van

here she is
and in her space

so work began last weekend to strip the engine down and label everything up. i was amazed at how easily it all came apart. i took the whole front end off in one piece, just uncliped all hoses ect and undon slam pannel and the lot came off

ive actualy taken this engine completely out now and it is defiantly fit for the bin. turbo is shot, gearbox shot, dmf isnt too happy

the original plan was to follow darkside developments thread on fitting a pd engine to the caddy but there were a few problems i had with this.
firstly i didn't want to spend a fortune on a new main oil seal some sensors and the tool to fit the seal totalling around £300. secondly the turbo actuator runs differently and i didn't want to buy another turbo when this one is pretty much brand new. thirdly if you say to most tuners can you transfer edc15 maps (which the pd130 runs on) to a edc16 (caddy) file they will tell you it cant be done or moan about it. after disusing this with a few guys i realise that not many people can do it and even if they could it would probably run like s#!t. my final problem was when i messaged darksides about it asking for a remote map so i could use my tuning cables and put one of there maps on and they told me i had to buy a box off them to write there files and then pay for the file afterwards. this is a absolute con as the box to write to the ecu is 250 quid and then shipping on top where as i can write a pd130 edc15 ecu with a 10 quid mpps cable and a 45 quid blacksmokes map if i wanted. (both of which i have at my disposal for free)

so with all of the ubove taken in to consideration ive decided to de-immobilise the pd130 ecu and splice the pd130 and the caddy engine loom together, keeping caddy bits that dont need removing and just having all sensor and controller wires from the pd130. ive done most of the hard work on this and managed to find a ecu pinout and labeled every wire on the back of the pd130 ecu and cutting the ones off i dont need. i dont se why this shouldn't work and im pretty good with that sort of thing but im open to opinions, will take some more piccys of wiring later

started assembling the gearbox with new clutch and dmf to suit 6 peed box. it looks as if the engine is resting on the oil cooler but i left one of the engine mounts from the uni on it just to keep it propped up while i tinkered

on to the gearbox....
i had a right steal with this. picked up a 120 quid 02m 6 speed box from the scrappy. looks mega clean and sounds smooth and i may be mistaken but im pretty sure it has a LSD in it when you turn the outputs they both turn the same way???. ive also re-drilled the shift arm to make it a short shift. not fussed about the lefty righty, just did the forward and backwards. orderd 2 brand new 6 speed driveshafts and im going to have to mate them to the caddy outer cvs if im not mistaken but we shall cross that hurdle in a few days time

ohh and i nearly forgot about my new favourte toy

more to follow in the next few days
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Re: caddy pd130 6 speed build thread

Post by chris577612 »

@Hcg123 well interested to see how you get on mate. Tidy so far..

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I too am interested to see if you encounter any problems running the EDC15 ECU in the caddy, can't say I've seen that done before or heard of anyone having problems having the EDC16 ECU remapped to suit. I'm been in a few and they run fine, intact the one Matt at DubUnit in Tamworth built recently runs much better than an original BLS/BJB.
If you'd bought mk5 6 speed drive shafts you wouldn't have needed to swap the outer CVs.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

Hi guys. Its been a busy week or so. Got the engine and gearbox in . Wish i had known about the driveshafts. What a ball ake that was!

Currently as it sits im all plumbed in. Gears linked up. Engine mounts on.

Encontered a few issues along the way. Had to buy a asz sump to mate to the 02m box and the bls one was kitting on oil pump. Bought a asz inlet and turbo inlet pipe because then i can use the map sensor on the cold side of intercooler and theres pretty much no other way of getting a inlet hose doen the back of the engine sensibly.

As far as i can work out the ecu should work but thats my job for today so we will see how we get onImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

G2T
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by G2T »

Just a heads up, fadr do solutions for the edc16 software in caddy’s with asz/arl set ups. If you can flash it, they’ll send you the file....
Crautoworx
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Crautoworx »

Did redrilling the linkage make much of a difference?
Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

Its definatly shorter shift but i think it may be too short. Will need to see when its running

Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

Not sure on short shift its definatly shorter but may be too short. Might redrill another hole.

Been doing the wiring. Heres whats been done

Went on erwin and got both diagrams for the edc15 and the edc16. Labeled every pin on back of both ecus. (This was the hardest part.

Removed edc16 ecu and left wiring in place temporarly.

Wired in edc15 ecu (+12v, gnd, relays, can low, can high, ect)

Pluged all engine side of things in to edc15 loom, encountered a few problems. Firstly glow plugs have a module on caddy so had to swap that for a relay(5 min job) secondly the rad fan controler is diferent so might bypass it and band one of those tempresure switches in my cooling lines.

Also te accelerator pedal uses a diferent style of potentometer on mk4 to mk5 ive got a mk4 pedal so will bolt that up and wire it in.

Havent turned engine on yet but in vag com only faults are rad fan, pedal and egr so no biggie there
Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

Updates

Accelorato Pedal was giving me a headake this weekend. The wires on the ecu pinout were throwing out some real weird voltages and i couldnt figure it out so i ended up bringing both pedals inside (away from the storm outside)
put the caddy pedal next to the mk4. Fed both with 5v, ground and mesured signsls. seems they operate in same potentometer fassion. But the mk4 is a manual potentometer

2x5v wires
2x ground wires
2x signal wires ranging between 0v no throttle 5v full throttle

Went back outside and routed a new 6 core sensore cable from the pedal to the ecu. Figures out which 2 wires were the sensor wires by applying voltage and seeing if the throttle position moved on vag com.

Found a wire close enough to 5v and wired that up for power and the ground direct to chassis.

Caddy pedal now works. Doesnt return back to 0% and stays at 7% tried to do a adaptation but this didnt help.

I think if i can put a resistor in it might knock off the extra voltage heading down sensor wire. If not i can modify the drivers wish map to make it think 7% is now 0%

Either way it starts and runs now just idles hight due to throttle pedal.

Also changed rocker cover to asz one and thos is the condition of the engineImage

Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

hey doc can you upgrade my account so i can see the rest of the forum please.

having issues with brake light wiring and cant see the rest of the forum ;)
chris577612
Caddy Fan

Post by chris577612 »

@Hcg123

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Have a look at the thread titled;

New Members, Please Read ALL of the first post!!!!!
Hcg123
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Hcg123 »

yeah ive done this bit yesterday, posted in it, but hasn't been upgraded to so i can see the wiring section of forum

bit stuck with these wires hence why asking
Yvg
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Yvg »

make sure to read it, making a request here can delay your upgrade.. doc is a busy man, and it can take some time.
MrT0398
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by MrT0398 »

Could you explain what you did with the pedal in the end? Did you used the original caddy pedal?
NZDubNurd
Hyper Poster

Post by NZDubNurd »

The pedal signal never usually returns to 0 - if it does, I'm pretty sure you'll trigger a DTC. My one starts at 8 or 10 (can't quite remember) and goes up to about 90?