Air suspension

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
michealcaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Air suspension

Post by michealcaddy »

Im thinking of swapping my suspension for air suspension, does anyone know where I can source this, the cheaper the better.
Thanks!
Tommydeane1994
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Re: Air suspension

Post by Tommydeane1994 »

I think the mark 5 golf front struts will fit I think they are 55mm then you sleeve them and you could find management cheap enough on ebay.go for the VW auto pilot I had that on my audi tt for 3 years with zero issues

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I honestly think you are on a slippery slope from the onset here. "the cheaper the better" is not going to get you a reliable, safe, quality air ride system.
There are multiple systems out there, some are no end of trouble, some never cause an issue.
Take some advice from people who use air ride just as you intend, don't go taking advice from someone with a show car which does 3000 miles a year if you want to use yours daily. Read, discuss, experience for yourself before making your decision, but most of all be sure you are not paying some monkey to put the whole think together in a fashion that will cost you more than necessary and lead to problems in the long run.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Tommydeane1994
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Tommydeane1994 »

Ye if your going to use it daily then I would go for a brand new kit and get it professionally fitted I used my tt daily and did about 16000 miles a year but I knew I was going to do alot of miles so I went brand new with the warranty so if there was issues I wouldn't be left without at car whilst I had to sort it

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

dan@biali
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by dan@biali »

As doc has said, the cheaper the better won't get you a reliable kit unless you can find a second hand kit that is better quality but in your budget.

Mine is a show setup (it could be used daily but I don't) and it is slightly temperamental. It has a niggly air leak which is fine when driving but after a few days of being sat it loses pressure in one of the bags. Still not sure where the problem is and this was installed by air suspension companies so comes with some form of warranty.

You can daily a good setup, barbel330 does and I know several others who did with no issues although occasionally it might let you down (I think most of the daily setups carry a few spare fittings and air line just in case) and if it loses air and you can't fix it then not sure how the AA will be able to recover you!

Your next question is, how are you planning on addressing the rear? Split leaf like the ABP setup or a trailing arm conversion like the intermotiv kit. Both have their positives and negatives (including costs and maintenance, driving behaviour etc). There aren't many options and that keeps the costs relatively high although the intermotiv kit is quite good value considering what you get and its plug and play meaning you can strip it off and sell it if you decide to sell the van.

Its not overly complicated to install yourself (if you can install coilovers then this is similar but the wiring is the tricky bit so you'd need to be confident with that, the air hoses and fittings are push fit like modern plumbing fittings and the only thing you need to watch is cutting the hose square and not keep pushing it into the fitting and removing it without cutting the end off and having a fresh piece of hose going in) which could help keep the costs down. Depends on what type of management you plan on running as to how difficult it could be (height sensors are a bit of a pig to get installed properly on the caddy from what I've been told).

Remember, air setups aren't cheap because there are quite a lot of parts involved - front struts and bags, rear bags, rear beam conversion/adaption, air lines, compressor, tank, management, water trap, wiring.
michealcaddy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by michealcaddy »

Thanks! I have coil overs installed but some places I go the van is slightly low so something that would be a small bit higher while driving but Sitting low would be ideal
Barbel330
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Barbel330 »

Adjusting your coilovers up a bit would save you about £5k :)
Instagram: @y_5cuf
Winst
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Winst »

I’m 1 of the 3000mile show pony vans with air ride, and I have enough niggles with it in summer....., I actually started it up the other day and the compressors were running but not filling the tanks, (which have emptied again), tried it again the next day and they started filling.....I would echo what everyone else has said, I would go for a new kit with some kind of warranty, personally I couldn’t run a vehicle with air ride all year around, I’d need it to be reliable (or have a second car you can use)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 2.0tdi Full 2018 front and rear ends fitted, airlift 3P suspension, 20" alloys, modified Porsche calipers front and rear with R8 handbrake caliper, Audi RS4 wingbacks, covered in nappa leather and alcantara, Touran dash, door cards, centre console all trimmed in leather and alcantara, MFSW, 3D cluster, Rockford fosgate and focal sounds with MIB2, bi xenons, full alltrack kit fitted, etc etc:D
Instagram @2kwayne
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

From what Iv seen these are bigggggg money!!!

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

vwpaul88
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by vwpaul88 »

would love this on mine if i had the money
powley256
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (84bhp)

Post by powley256 »

Im running the airlift performace series kit on my maxi with the airlift 3p management.
Its my daily driver, ive been running it for over a year now and done over 20,000 miles, ive had zero issues so far.
From my experience so far i wouldnt got back to coilovers. The ride is so much smoother and its so handy being able to lift the van when need be.