Pure Grey Caddy Maxi Life

Show off your caddy
GreyLife
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Pure Grey Caddy Maxi Life

Post by GreyLife »

Hi, new to the forum, thought I would start a little thread about my Caddy Maxi Life. I've owned it for about 10 months, it's a 2011 Pure Grey Maxi Life.

This is my Daily Driver for commuting to work, and my Weekend Wagon for Family Fun Activities!

So, before I purchased my Caddy, I was looking at all sorts of options for a vehicle to suit our needs. We are a family of four that enjoys camping holidays, getting out on our bikes and visiting places. Our previous vehicle, a Peugeot 5008 was just too small with the growing family - even with a trailer and roof box it was a squeeze on holidays!

The lookout was on for a van type of vehicle. Many options were considered, and after much deliberation the choice was narrowed down to Transit Tourneo Connect, Berlingo XL and Caddy Maxi Life. There were many reasons for narrowing down our choice, and these included budget, running costs and practicality - yes a bigger van would easily cope with all our gear, but they are generally more expensive to run and can be difficult to park - especially in towns with multi storey car parks!

Anyway, after a while looking and not finding anything suitable, and then selling our previous car before deciding on a new one, the search was definitely on!

The vehicle found was a 2011 Caddy Maxi Life. This was within budget, but I was initially cautious as it was a little older with more miles than I would have liked - 68k miles, but I really liked the colour! So deal was done!

I'll post some pictures soon!
GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Re: Pure Grey Caddy Maxi Life

Post by GreyLife »

Here is the first photo of my Caddy. Sorry for the low quality, it is from the sellers advert before I bought the Caddy.Image

Sent from my Nokia 1 using Tapatalk

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

After collecting my Caddy, first on the list of things to do was book it onto my local independent garage for some work. Even though it came with FSH, I wanted to make sure all was well.

Diagnostic check all clear, had new tyres, discs and pads fitted and a full service including cam belt and water pump.

Now it was ready for daily duties and a few little improvements.

Full set of tailored carpet mats and a glove box lid made a massive improvement in a very small amount of time. I also fitted two replacement centre front air vents as these were broken - possibly by having a phone holder clipped to them or something.

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

After the tailored carpet mats for the cabin area I decided to get rubber boot liner mats for the boot area. I got two - one for when it's it 7-seat mode and another for 5-seat mode. They do a great job of keeping the boot tidy! The 5-seat liner gets the most 'dirty' use and that goes in when I am taking the bikes in the back.Image

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

Onto the front of the Caddy now. Took off the scuttle tray and cleaned out all the leaves etc. Fitted a VW engine cover and some big grommets to cover the holes on the scuttle panel. Also some new Bosch wiper blades.ImageImageImage

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

As the Caddy is being used as a truly Multi Purpose Vehicle, it has to be able to carry 4 bikes for days out.

Here I have two adult bikes and two child's bikes fully in with all wheels on. There are four seats still in the Caddy (front two and the double on the middle row). The bikes are held in place with bungee cords. We have had a lot of biking days out like this. When my kids bikes get bigger I will have to put some sort of removable racking in and have front wheels off all the bikes, but for now this works for us!

Also, as we enjoy days out walking, I thought it would be a good idea to make a temporary camper in the Caddy. This is no major build for the camper as it is just for the odd night stay over. The window blinds I made from black correx plastic and just push into place into the windows. In the back is a double air bed - really comfy after a day in the country!

Side view of the Caddy looking stealthy with the window blinds in.ImageImageImage

Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Post by Stedlocks »

I remember a mate years ago had a big piece of camo net.... park by hedge, throw it over, totally disappear!
Proper stealthy
GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

That would be almost invisible with a camo net!

mark1a
Hyper Poster

Post by mark1a »

Good idea on the window blinds, I’ll do something similar or install curtains.
2017 Blackberry Maxi Life 190TDI 6MT OEM+
Santiago 18” | OE Xenons | Limo tints | Wind deflectors
Remap 190bhp | H&R / Darkside lowering | TRC front & rear splitter | RKD side skirts
Android HU | Focal 2.1+2 audio | Dynamat | 4G WiFi | Wireless phone charge
Build thread here http://caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34095
GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

Thanks. I looked at curtains too, but as my Caddy is not used as a full time camper I wanted something that is a temporary fit. We used it as a 'night-over' camper 3 times last summer, and the correx plastic worked well, I can even open the sliding side windows with the blinds in to get ventilation.

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

Small update, as the rear single cup holder was broken, and the rear air vents broken - both are on the back of the centre console and at foot level! I replaced the air vents with new ones - works much better now!

However, with the single cup holder, I decided to add additional charging sockets and a dual USB charger. Thought this would be more useful than a cup holder.

chrisd317
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by chrisd317 »

Hi mate, could you take me a photo of the trim parts that go between the carpet and the front of the first row of rear seats of that makes sense, trying to find what I need to smarten mine up but having no joy with breakers or part numbers etc

Appreciated

Chris
GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

Hi Chris, is it these trim bits?ImageImageImage

GreyLife
Caddy Fan

Post by GreyLife »

Couple of pics after a recent clean. Really like these Caddy's, such versatile vehicles. One day it's my daily driver to work, the next a bike carrier, and then a family bus for a day out with the family, Grandparents included!

This brings the slow progress up to date. It's never going to be a huge 'build', just little things I do to make it more personal and useful for our needs.

There are a couple of things still on my 'to-do' list, so I will update as these happen.ImageImage

chrisd317
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by chrisd317 »

GreyLife wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:09 pm Hi Chris, is it these trim bits?ImageImageImage

Hi mate, yeh the bits under the seats at the front aswell, like near the rear footwell, also any chance there’s any part numbers on the bits please mate?

Cheers mate

Chris