2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: 2020 Caddy 5 press launch and information

Post by Doc »

Some photos of the rear variations.

Plastic bumper, twin door, halogen tail lights.

Coloured bumper, twin door, LED tail lights.

Coloured bumper, tailgate with wiper, LED tail lights.

Coloured bumper, tailgate without wiper, LED tail lights.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
R22LRM
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 Stage 3+ TFSI

Post by R22LRM »

dan@biali wrote:Thought I'd see if a new front bumper, air suspension and wheels made it look better...........

Image that looks awesome, what a let down the side rail is Image, you’ll be going back to RAD for side door delete then wow ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

I won’t be rushing to do this one, not least because I can’t afford to do it ever again but I still don’t really like the look of it.
R22LRM
200BHP+

Post by R22LRM »

Caddy passion is a drain on the old bank balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dan@biali on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
R22LRM
Mk5 Tfsi powered
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage no ford involvement? Image

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

E-Bagge
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (74bhp)

Post by E-Bagge »

Read earlier post m8 , it is mainly designed by Ford because it's
Going to be the new Ford Connect in the states.

Sad but true.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

I know mate, but Doc said he's heard from apparent reputable sources at the caddy launch that said it's purely VW, ford apparently isn't involved yet. Sure looks like they are to me!

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I'll quote the designer Albert Kirzinger here:
"The collaboration is not aimed at jointly developing a whole new model. Ford will, if their own model needs to be renewed, base that on this Caddy"
See HERE
My information from a close associate of Mr. Kirzinger is that the Ford involvement on this size of van is not yet current and the joint venture Caddy/Connect will be in some years.
Sure there are similarities between the new caddy and the current Connect but the same can be said for the other small commercials on the market, they are all taking on a similar shape.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

I agree they all take on the same sort of shape nowadays but to me it stil seems fishy, the rear looks a clear evolution of a connect to me.
I just don't like ford (if you haven't noticed yet) haha, and always liked vw, and this just agg's me.

dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

The LED tail lights look good when they're on but why have they put all that chrome in there? Completely cheapens the light and makes it look like a nasty Chinese aftermarket version. Another thing to work out is how to take them apart and paint them black! The more I see that bloody rail, the more angry I get :evil:
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I did want to speak to Albert Kirzinger on the subject of Ford but the international media are bloody savage, the man was being pulled from one side of the stage to the other and wired up with microphones, there was no way a small time guy like me was getting to chat to him. I have to take the information I was given as fact.

Regardless, it is what it is and I have to say again, I really like it and can see it being a huge hit.
Remember it was 3-4 years after the release of the mk3 before it was properly embraced by the likes of us enthusiasts, when I bought my first Caddy in 2008 there was so little out there it was very difficult to imagine it'd become what it is today.
I had a lot of comments of "Disgusting", "ruined it" and "I'll stick to my mk3/4" on Instagram, but for the most part the Caddy5 has been received with positivity.

gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

Lol yea I bet, all down to personal preference I get it, and your right it probably will be a hit.
I see how they are trying to bring it up to date and modernise it (which it needed, let's be fair), just not my cup of tea

PaulC61
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by PaulC61 »

The other thing to consider about the design of the new Caddy looking like the connect is that the designers do move to different car companies. Just look how the guy who used to design for Aston Martin moved to Ford and the Mondeo then started to have that Aston Martin look. Even James Bond used a Mondeo in one of the 007 films. Also a certain car company I have done some work at had it's rivals cars in a building and were sowly stripping them down and photographing how they were put together. At the moment I am not keen on the door rail being so obvious plus the bottom of the rear windows not lining up with the front door windows. Looks like a Skoda roomster
My Pure Grey Maxi Kombi Build viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32111
dan@biali
Hyper Poster

Post by dan@biali »

The other thing to remember is that this is first and foremost a van, VW won't pander to the smaller market of modifiers like us by making things more expensive or complicated to build because they look better, regardless of whether they say they want to increase the appeal to the 'lifestyle' owners with this model. We will never be happy which is why we modify our Caddys so they are closer to our desired spec.

But for me, the bits I'd need to change to be happy are impossible to do - rear side window or recess line not matching up to the bottom of the door glass and the side rail not being possible to cover up are deal breakers and that they've deleted too much of the Caddy dna and character and made it more generic which is why so many people are saying it looks like Dacia/Connect/PSA. Thats good news for me as I can save £25k on a new van! Yes it might grow on me but I'll never love it like the 3 or 4.
gazza31112
Hyper Poster

Post by gazza31112 »

@dan@biali agree mate