Post by brooneye »

Must ios that they aren’t working on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Re: OCD Caddy Demo

Post by matt@ocd »

Sorry Apple guys, you'll just have to miss out again haha ;)

Been steady away again so far through the start of this week. I didn't intend to take on all of the jobs/mods in one go, but while we're doing bits it's making sense to roll on to the next part as we go.

Finished up the front end completely, installed HID headlights & also LED main beam bulbs. Ballasts mounted to underside of the headlight so not at all noticeable from in the engine bay.

So with the doors all stripped down, we added in a few layers of sound deadening to stop the tinny rattle of the doors, make it a little more car like :)

Built the door mechs back up, added a door barrel delete to the drivers side too.

We then started stripping the nastyness that was in the back of the van too, ready to sound deaden, new ply line kit & carpet that out.
Anyone got any good recommendations for ply line kits?

Found some crusty patches around the door edge & floor, so we ground those back and painted with Por15 to protect.

Stripped out the dash & trims, pulled the seats & frames then pulled the rubber flooring up to uncover more crustyness. Nothing looks serious luckily, just looks like it's had lots of moisture in there. We'll do the same treatment of grinding back & painting with Por15 to clean it up and stop it getting worse.

Also got our new audio gear in from Alpine :D 7" 702D head unit, Android Autoplay to run Google Maps, Spotify, DAB & Bluetooth. Should make for a nice addition. Also added in 2 way component speakers & slim line sub/amp to go under the seats and add a little bass boost to the setup.
Looking forward to getting this all setup & tested. Will post more info on that once it's all going in.

Thanks!
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Keeping busy on the Caddy, getting a little carried away, but feels like the perfect time to just get the big jobs done in one go :)

So first job today was clean up the footwells, get rid of the rust & crust. That all got taken back to bare metal and cleaned. We then again applied Por15 to these areas and leave that to dry & harden for 24 hours.

Then we hoovered out all the dust created from all the grinding. Boxed up all the removed trims and cleaned out the rear & stripped the shocking attempt at ply lining & carpeting.

Took out the itchy insulation and cleaned up all the nooks it had been stuffed in to. It was mostly holding moisture, again attracting more rust to start. Glad to have it gone.

Carried on with the new sound deadening to the wheel arches & the roof. Just got the front cabin roof panel to finish then the sides tomorrow.

Touran carpets are due in early next week from the same guy who we picked up the front end from. Also a 6 speed gearbox & everything needed to swap from the 5 speed.
So we'll carry on getting the sound deadening sorted & route any wiring that's going to be needed for the audio & air parts going in while we wait.

Planning to re-trim the headlining & storage shelf, also painting the pillar trims & parts black. Then we can start to get everything back in :)

Cheers
Last edited by matt@ocd on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripley55
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Ripley55 »

Hi matt@ocd
Not working for me either :( I'm at work on nights on a windows based Desktop.
I've mailed myself at home, to see if the thread pictures are visible on my iPad
sounds excellent though :D
Update :D fine at home, lovely job
Chestnut Brown Caddy MK4 Maxi Life 2.0Tdi 150bhp , 18” Matt Bronze OZ Ultraleggera’s 8Jx18 ET45 on Bridgestone 225/40/18’s
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Hi Ripley, that's real weird! But I just found 2 not showing on my desktop at work. Reset the links and it's ok.
I'm using imgbb, any computer guys know why this is happening? I certainly don't :lol:

Can't really explain that...
Craig Cheatham
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Craig Cheatham »

Perhaps it’s the VIRUS! Lol
Now remapped to 145 BHP
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Haha more than likely! Let's go with that ;)

Another day of workshop quarantine down and plenty more sorted out...

Carried on with the sound deadening until we ran out, just have the drivers side window black panels to sort now. Picked up some recycled plastic, non itchy, water resistant insulation too. Filled the drivers side with this. Will also line the roof before the ply panel goes up. Likely inside the sliding door too.

Treated the last remaining rust, on the panel join for the rear floor cover to main floor...

Kill all the Wipers bung arrived, fitted that and will smooth the outside off. We're going to wrap the van so the outside paint isn't needing to be mint. Just make sure it's finished to a good standard so the wrap looks good...

Started sizing up the Touran armrest/centre console & the rear footwell carpets. We're not putting back seats in now, but sticking the carpets in to finish the cab off nicely,
So I sized up the carpets, cut them where needed to get them in nice & snug. Then the plastic trims for the footwell storage. The lids don't open, but one side will remain open and just somewhere to store some bits on our travels. The drivers side I'm using the framework to secure the Alpine sub/amp unit down to, then route the wiring under the carpets and nicely hidden away.

Rivnuts set & under carpet trimmed bolted down...
Then carpet it, top frame & sub installed. Will start on the wiring for this tomorrow, also the wiring & air lines for the air management. To save me taking it all back apart again when we do install the air.

Back again tomorrow guys...
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Another steady day had on the Caddy to finish the week off....almost, as I'm going back in today and will finish up some little jobs this afternoon.

First job was to finish up the rear carpets, storage & amp/sub mounting. Copied the drivers side and set rivnuts & bolted down the storage frame, carpet & and top frame/lid installed. As the lids don't open with the floor in, I cut the plastic welds loose, so the lid can still be used & removed when seats are slid forwards.

Routed the Alpine amp/sub wiring through under the carpet & up through an access flap that was already there. Wiring then taped up & routed along the chassis rail with the OE wiring.

Pinned the main power cable & connected straight into a spare slot in the fusebox, which takes a direct feed from the battery. Allows for less routing of wiring and no more wiring at the battery than needed. It's a touch we do with all of our air installs too, being VW trained it just feels right :)
I also installed an ignition live switch for the AccuAir air management too, ready for when we finish off the install of that...
Amp/sub fully fixed down & wiring all connected up...

Next job was getting the centre console sized up & everything cut so it mounts up and won't be a headache when we put everything in for the last time.
I read through the guide on here, got to say this forum us great for info like that! It's like the good old days before social media spoilt us (or ruined us)!
I set out cutting the edge of the floor to allow for the full console to install with the cup holder to finish the end off too. I approached it a little different to the guide, deciding not to cut the sides of the console, but cut the floor wide enough for it all to fit in. Then cut the lower edge of the rear trim, as this can't be seen once in. I can then dress the edge of the cut floor and all should look well :)

A small slot on the lower edge allowed the console to drop around the floor support and look seamless IMO.

Next job, is getting the AccuAir air management setup...we're installing the new eLevel+ system & ENDO-CVT air tank. Put our usual spin & touch on the install which I'm excited to show you guys.

I'm also routing the GPS, DAB & microphone for the head unit too. As well as all the wiring & lines for the air. This means we can build it up once, rather than having to strip it all back down when we do actually fit the air :)

Next jobs is test fitting the Touran dash and getting that all set up well. Front carpets in, Touran seat bases and we're on the road to finishing the big jobs up!
Lamby00
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Lamby00 »

Hi Dude, good progress,

I've inspected the links for your images, i'm thinking its the hosting app for your images - IMGbb. I don't think the link is available for some ios devices... or devices on the latest ios updates. - Works on ipad running ios9 but not on iphone running ios12

Have you had a go using a different app to post your images?
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Thanks dude.

Good old Apple eh?! I tried to link them straight from my Google Drive but couldn't get that working. You any other ideas?
I know photobucket can be a pain now?
Lamby00
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Lamby00 »

I’m not too sure, I use Tapatalk no problem at all but I doubt androids support tapatalk

A quick fix for iOS users on tapatalk if you’re keen to have a look at the pictures....
Click the 3 dots in the top right hand corner then go to ‘Web View’
Photos should then load as normal. - I know it’s not ideal but might help you guys out on other posts in the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Cheers Lamby, I don't get why it would work sometimes & not others, can only be a compatibility on apps or software?

Saturday gave me a couple more hours on the build, tested the Touran dash, figured out what brackets needed changing and swapped those out. Mounted the dash up for good & also got the heater controls in. Routed wiring to where it needs to be, ready for the rest of the dash to be built up and installed fully.

Today I carried on routing everything ready for the ENDO-CVT tank to be mounted in place. So the air lines, height sensor harness, power wiring & touchpad controller harness is all routed up the inside of the B-Pillars on either side, then out at the bottom heading to where it needs to go.
There's a perfect circle flat in the top of the B-pillar, which I holesaw cut out, cut the middle from VW body bungs to seal the edge and allow everything to pass through without chance of rubbing.

Also set about cutting back the bulkhead to use to finish the ends of the B-Pillars and cap everything off. We're going to be painting all the plastic trims black or dark grey too, so cut edges should hide away pretty well.

Painted the rear door lower latches & re-installed those with stainless bolts

Also started painting A-Pillar trims, Touran versions. Sunvisors, grab handles & interior light.

All coming along pretty well :)
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Still going strong with the Caddy, stronger than ever seen as we're now down to just me & Holly at work and orders are slow going at the moment.
So we've got quite a few bits done, but not taken many photo's!

The ENDO-CVT came in yesterday and I made a start on the brackets to suspend it from the roof. Using the fixings for the bulkhead (seen as it's not staying) and the cross support in the roof. Hopefully once the roof lining and everything is sorted for that the mounts will be as hidden as possible.

I went with a Grey Cerakote 5 Gallon. If you guys aren't aware of AccuAir's ENDO-CVT, it combines the compressor, valves & tank into one unit. So the only part required is the ECU, wiring for power, height sensors & touchpad controller. Plug your air lines in and you're done. The compressor also runs near silent, which is huge plus over traditional 12v compressors! It also has built in flow control, so the lift & drop speeds can be levelled out, preventing the odd operation other systems have where the rear tends to hit the floor fast then the front slowly drops, due to different weight over the axles.

First bit was starting on the braces that will be the main support & strength to the full bracket.

I got loads more done on these today, but hours of cutting, grinding, shaping and welding. I forgot to take progress photos, so I'll post up the final result photos tomorrow...

Hope you're all doing well at home or work through this virus craziness too!!!
matt@ocd
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by matt@ocd »

Self isolation day 3, still getting well stuck in on the Caddy. Delivery issues are kicking in though, so I think I might get stuck waiting on a few parts soon. Namely the ply roof & floor kit.

I finished up the ENDO tank bracket today, required a little more grinding to shape it around the tank nicely. Used one of our ENDO tank mount plates, just makes lining up the feet and having a solid base for it all easier.

Straps that bolt up to the roof I then stripped down, shot blast and primed. Will paint them black tomorrow and that's all done then :)

Built up the centre vents & trim, then installed in to the dash. The chalkboard black came out real well...

Started on the wing mirror conversion too, seen a post on here with a conversion plate. I think this is the route I'm going to aim to follow, whilst then using the Caddy plastics to cut, fill the gaps & plastic weld in. Made a start on stripping down the Caddy mirrors so I'm left with just the plastic side.

Removing the cap from the hinge spring is a little scary, plus the corrosion of the body made it tricky to get it off. Eventually it gave up though..

Ground back the plastic welds and removed the plastic from the main ally body. I can now cut it down leaving me with all I need.

Plenty more to get on with tomorrow. Hoping to have the interior finished up for next week :)
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Stedlocks »

Good work bud 👍

Keep those pictures coming!