Air bag issues

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Air bag issues

Post by Ghost-rider »

Hiya all, fitted my cruise control stork today, so now just need to get it coded, getting the airbag off tho was a bit of a ballacheImage, which brings me to my problem and question, my vans a 2012 with factory fitted mfsw for trip data and radio controls, uthe reason the airbag was a biatch to release was because on the back of the airbag there are four white plastic lugs with springs on them, which im guessing are what operate your horn also, these locate into the rubber mould inside the steering wheel, long story short, one of the lugs didnt want to release from the wheel and when it did, its broke the plastic clips which hold the white lug and the spring to the back of the airbag🤬, if iv made sense to people, anybody know if this is repairable or am i right in thinking its new airbag timeImage🤬

All help appreciatedImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Re: Air bag issues

Post by Ghost-rider »

Anybody??

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

I've seen lots of these come off and not cause a problem. Just put it back together with the spring located correctly and you won't have an issue.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

Cheers for replying doc, i have put it back together, and as you say it all went back together no problem, what concerned me was the slight movement i have now in the airbag, its the bottom right lug thats broke, dont get me wrong to look at the wheel, youd never know, but if you grab hold of the airbag it does move more than it used to, so you reckon its quite common then?

Last edited by dan@biali on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

It's quite common for the part to snap off and often there are no issues once it's back together.
I don't understand how yours feels different, the white piece only keeps the spring in place when the airbag is out so as long as it's back together in the correct order there should be no difference.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Ghost-rider
Hyper Poster

Post by Ghost-rider »

The white piece locks into the rubber mould of the inside of the steering wheel once its all pushed back together, thats the reason im guessing it snapped on removal, the rubber mould wouldnt release probably dried out over the years, so the bottom right now isnt secured to the rear of the wheel just located via the spring if that makes sense

Last edited by dan@biali on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote