"The Bluebird" My ex BG maxi conversion

Show off your caddy
RangerD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: "The Bluebird" My ex BG maxi conversion

Post by RangerD »

Also vinyl wrapped the badge and sprayed the honeycombe part red while the bumpers and spoiler are in the spray shop being colour coded. I found the vinyl a pain in the ass and am going to buy a matte black badge...

DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0173.JPG
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

Got my bumpers and spoiler back from the sprayshop. happy with how they look. Still need to fit the spoiler.

DSC_0182.JPG
DSC_0185 (2).jpg
DSC_0178.jpg
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

DSC_0189.jpg
Sam.t
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Sam.t »

This looks really cool! I like the wooden roof lining as well!
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

Cheers matey :D I look forward to seeing what you do with yours if you post about it
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

Essay coming up..!

I finally got around to fitting my spoiler. Really pleased with how it looks. I have to say, I'm really not impressed with the quality of some of the stuff from Vanstyle. The spoiler itself is fine, looks great and fits nicely. The fixings however, are totally shite. I easily threaded a couple of the bolts when screwing them into the spoiler (and I did NOT overtighten, but it needs to be tight to keep water out and stay on right?). I ended up having to fashion two new bolts from ones leftover from the BG racking. Thank goodness the threads matched and my partner bought a Dremel a while ago, great tool.

I spent ages painting the holes that I drilled because I was afraid of rust, but as I had to keep screwing bolts in and out before I got it right, I ended up stripping a lot of the paint right off again. Totally avoidable by providing better quality bolts. Would they really make it that much more expensive?? I asked Vanstyle before fitting why they don't bolt them when they fit them and they didn't give me an answer. I wish they had. Now I know, it's a total ball ache and the fixings are not fit for purpose. Take my advice, bond it. I really couldn't find any good advice about this online and spent hours searching. I just thought people couldn't be arsed to drill and felt that because the spoiler on my Fiesta was bolted on, the manufacturers know best.

I was worried that the spoiler would come flying off, paint an' all, on the motorway. But I have learned after having to remove a poorly cut bumper protector, also from Vanstyle, the paint will never come off. I had to use a lot of force to peel the protector from my newly painted bumper and just wanted to cry throughout the whole process! Must have taken me six hours to remove and I had huge blisters on several fingers from rubbing the tape off. I now know that 3m double sided foam tape would probably be enough to hold the spoiler on forever. Also a little tip: WD40 electrical contact cleaner is really good for removing just about any kind of residue and hasn't damaged my paint. The corners of the bumper protector protruded too far, so that I was unable to make it snug and symmetrical. The corners of the doors caught when closing them. I got them to send me another one FOC and trimmed it. The manufacturer, RGM, have made it too snug, which just means that any difference in your vehicle or a slight error with their trimming and it won't fit properly. These two jobs have been the most frustrating and disappointing things I have done on the van.

DSC_0207.jpg
DSC_0204.jpg
DSC_0202.jpg
Last edited by RangerD on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

A much more satisfying and successful job over the last couple of days, which I needed! I decided to carpet my headliner as I had lots of carpet left over.

DSC_0222.jpg

Took the opportunity to add some sound deadening and insulation in the cab roof and was amazed at how much I got in there. Should hopefully make a big difference.

DSC_0224.jpg
DSC_0227.jpg

Whatever the naysayers say, the proof is in the pudding. Flashing tape works, it just does. It absorbs vibrations, that is all that the expensive products do. Spend the money if you want to! In combination with insulation foam, the effect is phenomenal. You don't have to cover the whole panel, just put pieces of it on. You can see one different piece in the middle of my roof, which was manufacturer fitted.. Something that people say that is complete bull: "flashing tape will smell and drip when it gets hot". This material is for roofing and has a high temperature tolerance. Think about it, how hot does a black roof get in the summer? Wouldn't be a very useful roofing product if that happened. Some of the sound deadening products are made of the same stuff and aluminium does nothing for sound proofing. Reflecting sound?! Think about it again, the density and absorption qualities are what stop sound. Yes sound can be reflected, or deflected, but a thin layer of aluminium is just that same as a non reflective material of the same density. Aluminium will reflect radiation but does nothing unique for sound.

I have driven this van from an empty shell to what it is now and every bit of insulation and flashing tape that I have added, has made a difference. It is lovey and quiet now. It is amazing how much cooler it stays in hot weather too.

Disclaimer: I am not a sound engineer, so feel free to challenge me if you are!
Last edited by RangerD on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RangerD
100BHP+

Post by RangerD »

Foil backed bubble wrap added to contain the foam and add an extra insulating layer. Another cheaper alternative to specific van products. Don't glue stuff to it though as the foil will peel off from the plastic very easily.

DSC_0230.jpg
Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

You doing a fantastic job on your caddy.
Looking forward to seeing you finish this one 👍
Top work
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 13&t=36851
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

"The Bluebird" My ex BG maxi conversion

Post by the swan fiend »

I decided to buy ‘proper’ products for sound deadening and it all fell off!! Think I think you commented on the post if I remember right?
I should’ve used flash band!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

What one did you use swan?
I bought dodos last week not used it yet
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
Craig Cheatham
200BHP+

Post by Craig Cheatham »

Ive just used DODO dead mat pro on my cab floor and roof, stuck like shit to a blanket! A bit pricey though.
Now remapped to 145 BHP
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I used silent coat Sean. It’s fine on the floor and sides but not the roof. I’ve had to use 2 tubes of sticks like sh*t adhesive to get it to stay on the roof, as it was falling off in this warm weather.
I’ve heard Dynamat is much better, so maybe get some of that for the roof, or as Craig mentioned, try the DODO mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
Sean1066
Hyper Poster

Post by Sean1066 »

At swan that’s what I have got the dodos mat 60 sheets
Caddy maxi 3.2 VR6 EX BG

My build thread
the swan fiend