caddy tent/awning

Pics from around the web
caddywupz
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: caddy tent/awning

Post by caddywupz »

jlaamweise wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 am Regarding the stitches and steel awning - I have actually sent mine back to them.

The quality is unquestionably very very good, but the fitment just isn't great for a caddy.

Shame, as I could have got a lot of use out of it, but it just flaps about to much imo.

Plus being a wetsuit material, it's like a sponge in the rain. Takes a good while to dry out.
Yea it's a great design, but I too was skeptical about the neoprene material.
I had actually been in contact with them to see if they would make a caddy specific awning as there is a market for it, but unfortunately sounds like it's gone on to deaf ears.
Photographer & Caddy Conversion-er
Instagram Photos: neil_irwin
Instagram Caddy: caddywupz
jlaamweise
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by jlaamweise »

Unlike the T5 the caddy has different rear door sizes, so it fits well on one side, but not the other.

The pole holding the doors apart holds right between the doors, but with the low roof line of the caddy, I kept bumping my head on it...then the whole thing collapsed!

Keeping my eye out for a side awning one now. That way I can lock the door and leave it up. The rear one is a PITA if you wanna leave the van for a few minutes. Gotta remove it all to lock the van.
Lukehiggy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Lukehiggy »

https://sheltapod.com I'm thinking of getting one of these has anyone got one?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Joeyjones1994
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Joeyjones1994 »

Be a pretty sweet idea for Glastonbury :D
Sam_mcafee
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Sam_mcafee »

Some awesome ideas on here!
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

Post by thecolourpurple »

My set up Vango 'Noosa' low & windbreak at camperjam 19Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2014 CAYD 1.6tdi 150bhp, Darkside straight pipe, EGR & DPF delete, Custom cold intake with K&N 571s, 19" wheels, Pioneer/Kenwood & Vibe audio.
Mattherat
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Post by Mattherat »

Great thread. I have been wondering about an awning, do many people sleep in the caddy and use the awning for space or sleep in the awning whilst keeping everything in the van?
thecolourpurple
Hyper Poster

Post by thecolourpurple »

Both mate

2014 CAYD 1.6tdi 150bhp, Darkside straight pipe, EGR & DPF delete, Custom cold intake with K&N 571s, 19" wheels, Pioneer/Kenwood & Vibe audio.
anoneamus
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by anoneamus »

Mattherat wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 pm Great thread. I have been wondering about an awning, do many people sleep in the caddy and use the awning for space or sleep in the awning whilst keeping everything in the van?
If you have a good bed setup it's way better sleeping in the van. I set up a small dome tent to store all the stuff that would take up space in the van (cooler, etc.). The van is quieter, darker (assuming you've dealt with the windows properly), less bothered by wind or rain. I always joke with people that ask me what it's like sleeping in the van, I say "it's like a double room in a Japanese hotel".
horace01
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by horace01 »

By now you may have seen a few of these pictures on my main thread but this is my Olpro Cocoon Breeze Inflatable Campervan Awning.

The awning with the extension (The area with the cooking gear) is huge! I reckon I could park in it. When searching for an awning I wanted something big enough to keep all of the kitesurfing gear as well as the camping gear in and would be suitable for trips longer that a couple of nights. It had to have a stitched in floor and be inflatable. Options here in Australia are limited and way overpriced. So importing from the UK was the best solution.

The main awning is inflatable with three arched struts and three horizontal beams running along the top.
The extension has one arch only. To attach the extension you just unzip the door off the main awning and zip the extension on in its place.
The tunnel to the van worked great.

As you can see from the pictures I just used the included straps over the roof of the van to secure it to the awning. I do have a magnetic figure of 8 mounting system but have yet to sort that out.

Being the first time using this setup I pegged out all the yellow storm straps as well as the guy ropes. This seemed like overkill but I was keen to try everything. I also installed the inner tent although I didn't intend on needing it.

On the first night we had loads of rain and 20 knot winds, gusting up to 30 knots.

Got to say the setup worked great (Keep in mind that I was sleeping in the van so to be honest the whole thing could have blown away and I wouldn't have noticed until I woke up). There was no water ingress anywhere. The awning was obviously moving around in the wind as you would expect but it handled it with no problems.

2007 Caddy 1.9 TDi 77kW BLS: R32 Wheel w/ paddle shifters : MK6 Golf GTi seats : Dynamat & carpeted : Reverse camera : Eonon GM5153 head unit : Avant Garde M220 18x8" Et 42 wheels :V-Maxx Xxtreme coilovers & rear shackles Gaz rear shocks : Mapped by DNA Tuning

Link to my build: viewtopic.php?t=19058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
samwises
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by samwises »

These inflatable awnings also from Stitches + Steel look pretty swish!

https://stitchesandsteel.com/collection ... e-awning-1

https://stitchesandsteel.com/collection ... ble-awning
James01
100BHP+

Post by James01 »

That's a lot of money for what you get compared to the vango/alpro air stuff

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

samwises
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by samwises »

@James01 Agree! Its a big price jump from the awning to the tent too!

If you're going to go all out how about..... https://www.glawning.com/collections/glawnings
ianr77
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: RE: Re: caddy tent/awning

Post by ianr77 »

Tent looks a good fit, have had to customise it seal good to van sides and roof?
JuBoo
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by JuBoo »

Looking for a tent/awning for a 2015 SWB VW Caddy.
Any recommendations please?