Let the build begin - Plushed/Bagged VR6

Show off your caddy
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Let the build begin

Post by Papa Bear »

C Chis wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 pm Ace, I never thought about black foam tape Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They are sending tape free of charge
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Papa Bear [/mention] that’s great service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Wash, cut, polish and then wax, all swirl marks pretty much gone, almost a mirror finish! Can’t believe I actually managed this without burning the paint or going right through to the undercoat Image

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

Today was fit cruise control day... easy to install using the “how to” in the tech section.

The air bag clips were a bit of a fiddle to release, but straight forward once you see how it works and you get the screwdriver blade in the right bit!

Fitted 2 replacement stalks, cruise and and the SWCM (CQ variant-cost saving) plan to upgrade to multi function steering wheel and high line instrument cluster once I’ve tracked down the parts for a reasonable price

Cruise control stalk - £15
Trip control stalk - £9
SWCM, CQ variant - £22
M12 spline bit - £16.99 for a set - not torx Image

No error codes, no faults! Image

So, what’s left on my list....

2. Headlight tweaks
3. Remap
4. Carpet the sides - on order
5. New front seats
6. Trial fitting of a VW flip emblem reversing camera into a spare barn door(long term project!)
7. Retro retrims for the A pillars
8. New lights for the roof - on order
9. Dukes of Hazard air horns (so ‘70’s)
10. Electric window upgrade
11. Flat bottomed steering wheel, unsure yet which one
14. Centre console
15. Touran dash
16. Touran instrument cluster
17. Touran front bumper

N+1. Buy a newer Caddy and start again ImageImageImage

Why does the list never get any smaller

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

I have a set off horns off my off roader..... hmmm, they might get fitted! Don’t think there is enough room under the bonnet though.

Did you have cruise control already?
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Hi [mention]Papa Bear [/mention] I think there should be just enough room in the wing where the original horn is, I’ll check the next time I take my bumper off.

And no, no cruise control fitted when I bought my van. Trawled through the how too on here and the thread on the Ross tech forum to find the part numbers and the compatibility table for modules, slip rings, stalks and MFSW before buying the bits.

The CQ module is a midline one, bought because it was less than half the price of the high line CH one and will do for a while until I’ve managed to save enough off my pension to buy the steering wheel, the instrument cluster and the CH module.

I have a heavy right foot and found the speed creeping up to the high 80’s all to easily so cruise control should help !

I’m hoping the scrap yards will be open in the next month or so as I have a list of parts I need/want - PTC heater, CH module, MFSW, parking sensors and module, Touran parts, seats, etc, etc...

Have you dye’d your headlining yet?

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Supposed to be a nice day on Wednesday so getting a tarp out and spraying it on the drive then. Then it’s out with the tr8ms to paint too. In the meantime running wires while the headlining is down. Got the tape from the indicator repeater people and fitted them, love them.

Have bought cruise control and trip stalks after help on here, not fitting yet as not found anyone local to code them and worried it could cause errors without.
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Cool, I’m waiting to see how your headliner turns out before doing mine

I didn’t have any errors after fitting. I thought I’d coded the module so went for a test drive, cruise control didn’t work, no errors either!

Turns out I hadn’t saved the coding or actually told the engine module that cruise control was installed, once I recoded and saved the code all worked great.

Hardest part was finding out after removing the airbag that an M12 splined bit was required to remove the steering wheel

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Have you bought dye yet? I bought a 5 litre autobrite, will let you know how much I use.
Will try the stalk fitting then, can drive to someone to code it when found someone.
Have already ordered an M12 spline tool after reading the how to :D
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

No, not bought the dye yet, just bought some anthracite and some silver/grey 4 way stretch carpet to finish off the rear of my van, the headliner is next

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Okay, so reversing camera #5 installed and it’s... pretty much perfect, so chuffed!

And in case you’re wondering what happened to the others...

#1 - number plate mount, obscured the numbers on my plate, sent back
#2 - burst the wires installing it, in the bin!
#3 - logo camera, long term project to fit a flip badge/camera
#4 - camera angle was pants, restricted view of about 20cm, refunded

Camera #5 better quality, “C” type nut making installation a breeze, option for reverse or forward facing and with or without guide lines.

eBay special https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Parking ... 2749.l2649

bradh
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by bradh »

Hi

That’s good for not a lot of money
What route did you take for the cable back to the head unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Stop showing me upgrades, it’s costing me fortunes!!!
My camera shows about 4 foot behind the car, got one of those in my basket to buy soon.
Headlining dye has been postponed before you ask :D , hopefully tomorrow now, as long as step son doesn’t kick off again
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Hi [mention]bradh [/mention] from the rear door, through the rubber connector, via the left hand side tail light loom, under the side door step and passenger side sill then up and behind the glove box. I also switched the camera on/off using a relay driven from the reversing light wire

[mention]Papa Bear [/mention] I was wondering what happened to your headliner dying and sorry for adding to your mod list

I’ve just bought led lights, additional switches, silver and anthracite 4 way stretch carpets, Dodo mat, insulation and a rivnut kit for finishing off the back ahead of being able to get out to play on the bike once lockdown restrictions have been relaxed a little

Oh, and some puddle lights...

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Already looking at led lights for the tail lights, bought replacement led bulbs for interior lights and rgb strip lights for mounting on the headlining. Got rivnut kit as mounting the board to the headline points with it and replacing all headlining fittings with black bolts.
Plus switch panel on it’s way :D
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS