Painting bumpers

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Tom19
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Painting bumpers

Post by Tom19 »

Hello this is my first post on the forum. I know this is a very common question, but on a 2014 white caddy would the front black bumper look any good painted if it’s done right, as I’m having trouble finding a replacement.
I don’t currently own a caddy but in the market for a 2014 model, I live in Ireland and black bumpers are most common probably the same in the uk. I do see some caddy’s on the market with what looks like stock white bumpers did they come from the factory like that?
Thanks
Stedlocks
Hyper Poster

Re: Painting bumpers

Post by Stedlocks »

The trendline and highline models came with colour coded bumpers as far as im aware......the start line, or poverty spec, like mine, came with the Black textured ones....but you could spec them.
Tom-8-0
100BHP+

Post by Tom-8-0 »

Hi Tom, and welcome. Colour coding the bumpers makes a massive difference in my opinion mate. It was one of the first mods I done when I got my caddy. A heads up for you Image
tho, it may be one of the first mods you do but with the help of this forum it definitely won’t be the last ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom19
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tom19 »

Thanks for the answers, how would you go about colour coding, is it just painting the black plastic
Cadz09
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Cadz09 »

Highly recommended either waiting out and finding one already done, or get a professional sprayer to do it, especially the front bumper, I done the rear myself and although its come out fairly well, it took so much prep time due to the texture of the plastic. And I got a sprayer to do my front.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tom19
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tom19 »

Your van looks very well I like the bit of black left on the grille too,any problems with paint chipping
Cadz09
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Cadz09 »

No not had any dramas at all, well worth doing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Boonalon
200BHP+

Post by Boonalon »

yea id say 99% of the Vans here are base models, there were very few higher spec van sold with the colour bumpers. mine is a Highline import for the UK, so I was lucky to get one, nicer specs too.

when you are buying, just be careful of ex an post vans, as they generally have issues with D/S door hinges.
Hardknocks
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Hardknocks »

Painting bumpers is a fairly straight forward task. But as above, if yours has a textured bumper, your painter will curse you until next year. Best option, buy one already painted and have it colour matched.
Tom19
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tom19 »

Thanks lad, what are the signs of an “An Post” van, do you know anywhere in Ireland selling bumpers?
Boonalon
200BHP+

Painting bumpers

Post by Boonalon »

I’ll be in the breakers in Kilcock tomorrow, they definitely have a few caddy’s, you after a painted one? Where are you based?

As for the an post vans they are kinda hard to spot, but check the rear panels and see if you can still see the outline of the “An Post” stickers, may still have a Leaseplan sticker on the rear door or plate surrounds. Check the hazard warning button and see if it’s worn as they are constantly been pressed. Check and see if the drivers seat is way more worn compared to the passenger seat.

But most importantly check the rear of the drivers side wing were it meets the doors for repairs and check the drivers side door hinges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom19
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tom19 »

Thanks lad,I would never have thought about that. I’m based in Laois shure hey if you’re in the breakers you can ask have they any white painted bumpers I don’t want to put ya to much out of you’re way, i would appreciate that :D . sound lad