Caddy steering wheel MF overlay

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
tonymaroney
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Caddy steering wheel MF overlay

Post by tonymaroney »

Hi Everyone,
First post here and a new owner of a Caddy 2K (2CA) 2014 1.6L TDi. I'm loving this car and I'm finding it fantastic for mountain bike adventures!
I am going to swap the head unit for a Pioneer android auto unit, and I'll put a rear view camera in as well, and with that I'll be pretty content, but it would be "preferable" to have a MFSW. I've looked through a heap of posts and I understand the basics (ie get a new MFSW inc airbag, replace the slip ring, and a controller etc) but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried one of these sorts of things:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000698771854.html
Note: This one isn't suitable, but it's an example of what I'm talking about)
Yes, they are questionable and I agree that replacing the steering wheel is a far better idea, but that will have to wait for a year of so until funds are available and I wouldn't mind having a solution in the meantime. Basically it's a stick-on overlay that has it's own battery, and it communicates via bluetooth with a module that you plug into the back of the headunit.
The second question is...these overlay units are available for Golfs, polos, tiguans, transporters etc but none of them specifically mention Caddys. I wrote to about 5 sellers, and included a picture of my wheel, but none of them will commit to saying theirs will fit. The question is: is there a golf, polo, tiguan, transporter or some other VW that came out with exactly the same wheel as my Caddy: Image
If a polo etc did then I can buy a Polo overlay and give it a go.
Regards,
Tony
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy steering wheel MF overlay

Post by Doc »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I've never seen these Bluetooth overlays before, it's an interesting concept.

From the listing you have linked, the option A looks like it is for the Caddy4 style steering wheel.
The option B is for the wheel that came on some VWs 2010-2015 but only on caddys built with multi function.
There doesn't appear to be an option to fit your style of steering wheel.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
tonymaroney
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: Caddy steering wheel MF overlay

Post by tonymaroney »

Thanks Doc.
There are quite a few around, but none of them seem quite right. I saw a video on how to fit it and tune it to the radio, and it's pretty clever stuff actually.

Do we know if any other VW or SEAT car came out with the exact same shaped wheel as what I have? I was thinking the most basic Polo or maybe a transporter or something low end might have had the non-multifunction steering wheel with the same shape.
I've done a lot of searching and some look very similar but it's hard to know if the dimensions are identical (and those MFSW overlays would need an exact fit).
Regards,
Tony