Mouse's MTB Day Van/Camper

Show off your caddy
Mouse
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Mouse's MTB Day Van/Camper

Post by Mouse »

Hey, so had my Caddy almost a year with the intention of converting into a Day Van/Camper to use primarily for Mountain Bike trips, making slow progress so thought I'd share where I am at with my build and any future developments.

First picture for attention.

Okay so here we go, Started out by removing the ply shelving, liner kit, floor and bulkhead and gave it a good clean up.

followed up with some sound deadening and insulation.
I used self adhesive roof flashing as a cheap alternative to deaden the panels and arches, packed all the hollow areas with recycled plastic insulation wool and covered all the bare metal (floor/walls/roof) with ThermaALL bubble foil.

tbc....
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Re: Mouse's MTB Day Van/Camper

Post by Mouse »

Part 2;
Built the framework for my bed/storage box and had some panels and metal edging cut to size. the top is hinged and folds out when needed in bed mode. I had an Ikea coffee table that was to be scrapped and turns out the legs were ideal for what I needed, they simply screw in when needed. for storage I currently use 2 Euro boxes that slide in/under the box. I have plans on adding pull out drawers on both ends of the box to replace this.

Next up I recently carpeted the ply lining, barn door frame and the cut down bulkhead.

I also used the opportunity while the panels were removed to add some more recycled plastic insulation, a friend of mine suggested using the spray adhesive for this and it worked a treat! (Previously had parcel tape holding it up)

more to come later.
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Took inspiration from Dunch88's post for an internal door handle for the barn doors https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p355482

I used the handle from a spare door card I have from upgrading to electric windows and removed the door release cable/mech from a Touran. used an L shaped bracket and bolted to unused threaded hole. Then tapped new threads into an existing hole that when pulled upwards opens the door.

I then had a friend weld the end of the cable release onto the end of the bolt.

all fitted and working, I do however need to get a replacement door release handle as I snapped the surround.
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

So I've just bought a set of 17" alloys for my caddy. But before I fit them I want to sort the ride height. Don't want to go crazy low, just enough so it doesn't look like a tractor, also will I need a centralising plate?

Currently looking at these, anyone used them? Are they a good purchase or do you recommend another kit? Don't want 5o pay more than £300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262731281079

Cheers, Mouse Image

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

M99ABE
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by M99ABE »

Looking good, I’m just about to lower mine, went for a stance kit. Again not wanting to drop it to low just enough to stop it looking like it’s been jacked up I was wondering about the plates also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lewdel13894
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Lewdel13894 »

Looking good mate how did you find the carpeting of it? Also what's your plan to do with the bike when you are sleeping? Is there space inside when the beds out?
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Lewdel13894 wrote:Looking good mate how did you find the carpeting of it? Also what's your plan to do with the bike when you are sleeping? Is there space inside when the beds out?
Cheers dude, the carpeting was pretty easy tbh, mostly just ply to do. The bulkhead endsand barndoor frame were a bit trickier, just take a bit time and patience.

As for the bed, it folds out length ways towards the front of the caddy. As for the bike I have a fork mount that's either going to be fixed to the floor or build a pull out shelf unit

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I’ve used a wall mount bike holder for my bikes in my SWB, keeps the floor clear and I don’t have to remove the front wheel, just turn it towards the side of the van

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

That's a sweet idea, I already have the fork mount so will stick with that plan, the build and biking is on hold for few weeks however after coming off my bike and damaging the ligament in my elbow

Last edited by Doc on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

So I purchased a stance + kit for my van to go along with my new wheels.

My mechanic pal took the caddy for a service and to fit everything, unfortunately he didn't realise the unopened box was the rear shackles so they didn't get fitted at the time. So it's booked in again next Wednesday.

When fitting them does he need to do an axle flip as another friend of mine has mentioned this?

Also will I require a centralising plate?

CheersImage

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

No worries!

How are the coil overs for rattling bones? I’m looking to lower mine too, however I don’t want rock solid suspension, I’m looking for something a little stiffer than standard that I can fit and forget?

Torn between the stance+, the jom or just new shocks and lowering springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

So just got my caddy back after having the rear shackles fitted, I'm well happy with the look of the van now, it also handles so much better. ImageImageImage

Dom b 1
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Dom b 1 »

Nice job! Will be perfect for biking trips 👍
Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Today I fitted the cruise control and steering wheel that I removed from a Touran. Will be swapping the clocks at some point and also a MFSW when I source one. ImageImage

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

So now that I have my Cruise Control all fitted and working I'd like to fit a MFSW at some point, however my Steering Control Module is a Midline and I believe I require a HIghline module.

Here are the part numbers for what I have fitted

Steering Control Module: 1K0953549BC
Slip Ring: 1K0959653C (Type 2)
Angle Sensor: 1K0959654
Stalks: 1KO953519A

is it just a different Control Module I need to replace in order to install a MFSW? if so which part number would be the correct one? is it 1K0953549BD?

also while I am on would i be able to fit a MFSW from a 2006 Seat Altea
[URL=https://public.fotki.com/Mouse82/misc/wheel.html]Image

any help greatly appreciated

Mouse