Let the build begin - Plushed/Bagged VR6

Show off your caddy
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Let the build begin

Post by Papa Bear »

When you got your ptc heater, how did you know wether the car you were getting it from had it before you started taking it apart?
Found local scrappy has quite a few VW’s in for stripping, including a Touran, so making a list and going to go stripping soon hopefully
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Papa Bear [/mention] A bit of research into which vehicles came with D or E heaters and I found these ones

Models and years with potential rev D heaters

Models and years with potential rev E heaters

Followed by a check at the fuse board before stripping. I was looking for an 80/100 amp fuse to the right of the main +ve cable at the fuse board. This gives you an idea before you start taking panels off,

Then I removed the passenger side lower trim from the centre console in the footwell and with a torch you can see if the PTC is there and if so, does it have 1 or 2 +ve supplies. 2 +ve supplies mean its the older operated by relay type heater. You can also just see the canbus wires up on the fight hand side as you look at the +ve connection.

Took about 3 hours to strip out the heater and wiring from the loom. Will be a lot faster if you’re prepared to hack the loom.

If you find one remember to get the black plastic cover that sits just to the left/in front of the heater or you’ll need to cut your existing one to suit, easy to do once you see it out.

I checked over 15 before I found the right one.

I’m heading to the paint shop later to get a price to paint my Touran bumper, I’ll check the scrappy’s next to it and see what they have as a back up to your search.

I also have a brand new wiring loom, fuse and canbus plug/cable that I bought from Tommyzoom that is surplus to requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Cool, thank you
And there should be a space for it in my original caddy heater box?
Guess who is being nagged, I mean asked, to fit one :D
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Haha, I share your pain...

The heater sits just in front of your existing heater box radiator,

Under the black cover you’ll see the slot (my PTC heater is installed in this picture

There is a screw behind the yellow heater arm, you can just get to it if you move the temperature control knob to one end or the other, can’t remember which, sorry.

And this is the cover before I cut off the long slot on the right hand side

You need to loosen off one of the dash supports to be able to pull the support out of the way to ease the heater in and it’s a bit of a job to connect the heavy +ve & -ve wires on when the heater is installed, not sure if you could fit the cables before install?

The canbus wiring - I tapped into the canbus wires on the control module just above the heater, the infotainment canbus at the radio isn’t suitable.

And I forgot this was Thursday, local scrapyards are closed Image, I’ll be paying them a visit on Monday/Tuesday when I go to pick up my freshly painted bumper Image

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

That’s fantastic
Thursday closing? That’s old school :D
Hope to go in tomorrow so will see what I can find
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Did a quick test fit and photo of the carbon handles on the Touran door cards, looking rather nice! Now I’ll most likely have to do the door release surrounds too Image

Need to let the lacquer harden for a bit longer before fitting the door cards and electric windows, ah, bliss, sheer bliss!

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Get a swimming pool and lots of film, get a crane a dip the whole vehicle!
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

I managed to get to my local scrappy, their website is out of date, said they had a Touran plus a golf that should have had ptc but none there. They were really friendly though, let me take two seat belt cover trims for free and said they would loan me four wheels with tyres so I can take mine off and do something with them (thinking powder coated). Going in again Thursday hopefully, they have cars coming in on Wednesday.
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Papa Bear [/mention]

Oh, I’ve thought about that

The folks at your local yard seem ace

I spent 4 hours at the scrappy’s on Sunday looking for a highline CECM (now BCM) to allow me to code in my Touran fog lights without success. Couldn’t see any D or E rev PTC heaters either!

I’m heading out tomorrow to pick up my freshly painted bumper and weather permitting I’ll be spending a few hours scavenging for parts!

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster

Post by Papa Bear »

Used to love scavenging the old style scrap yards, some of the cars I saw would be worth fortunes now
Thanks for looking for the ptc
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
142caddywhite
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by 142caddywhite »

Hey mate gone through your build thread a few times now and must say what a stellar job you’ve done! I’m hoping to do something similar with mine. You wouldn’t happen to have a link to the carpet you’ve used for the bulkhead would you? And the lights in the ceiling :D

Cheers for the inspo :) :)
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]142caddywhite [/mention]

Cheers, getting there!

The lights https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6PCS-Interi ... 2749.l2649

The carpet carmats4u 5M X 2M MEGA 4 WAY STRETCH V ... 4EbZ9N8S15

I’ve used anthracite and silver carpet from the same company, all good stuff delivered quickly.

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Today was a kind of up and down ImageImage

Out with the old manual door cards and in with the new electric motors, door lights and a little carbon fibre bling

Little bit of sound deadening on the skins too

Passenger door fitted and working Image

Drivers side in and working too Image

Carbon fibre hydro-dip turned out well!

PS... don’t be tempted to try and tighten up the exterior handle to make it feel better when opening ‘cause if it’s too tight and you shut the door, it ain’t opening up again!!! I was lucky, I made the mistake on the passenger door and could access the door handle screw after opening the side door ImageImage

Interior is getting there now!

Started on my Touran lights as well, black with LED DRL’s and dynamic indicators

Discovered that there is just enough space to squeeze the LED strip in between the lens and the black reflector, unfortunately I now need another set of LED’s as I cut the first ones to fit inside the reflectors, this was a bad idea, looked really rubbish!

And my front bumpers back, having a wee rest in the front room until the headlights are finished

Time for a wee libation, a few from my bottle of Inventors gin, home measures of course ImageImage

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

USB socket soldered into my RCD360 head unit and the socket mounted in its rightful place in the centre console cubby hole!

No more catching on the gear lever or cable dangle!

Boonalon
200BHP+

Post by Boonalon »

I did the very same mod last year, it far better coming out where it should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk