Let the build begin - Plushed/Bagged VR6

Show off your caddy
RedLion
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Let the build begin

Post by RedLion »

All think you'll know for the next one right :p I think that a couple of hours well spent, i have certainly spent longer and achieved less!
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Cheers!

I’ve been tempted to facelift the front end, so mibbie’s next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

Replacement CECM (BCM) installed today along with the wiring for my new front fog lights

Coded and fogs functioning as DRL’s

Here’s a wee clip of them in action

https://youtu.be/8EF7NV1ABrE

And a clip of the Dynamic indicators in the lights working too...

https://youtu.be/NL3tstLdzJc

And I even managed to undo my cruise control, ach well, tomorrow’s another day...

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

mikenorman
Twin Turbo poster

Post by mikenorman »

Hi Chris, how did you get the indicators sweeping? I’ve tried but had nothing but problems with mine that I fitted. Worked ok with the ignition off but soon as the engine was running they just flickered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

[mention]mikenorman [/mention]

Beginners luck I believe....

Bought these ones from eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X60cm-Flex ... 2749.l2649

Wired the DRL/dynamic indicator directly in to the side and indicator bulb holders inside the headlight unit to ensure the same supplies were used to remove the possibility of feedback/interference from the other wires, not sure if its a thing with Caddy’s or not but didn’t want to take the chance.

Also worked when I wired it into the fog lights, however when the side lights came on and the fogs went off so did the DRL’s, I wasn’t a fan of that mode, so put them back to the sidelight connection.

Are your indicator lights LED’s or halogens? If LED’s it might be worth swapping to halogens to see if it makes a difference, mine are still halogens.

Have you tried coding out the CANbus error checks for the indicators?

It should be possible to use a solid state delay off switch (with for example a 1 second off delay) to control the dynamic indicators.

After seeing the problems you were having I started to look into making a small circuit/SS switch, however the ones that arrived worked a treat!

I’m going to mod the ones that came off and will most likely have to add a small microprocessor like a Raspberry Pi with input/output interfaces

Last edited by C Chis on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikenorman
Twin Turbo poster

Post by mikenorman »

Thanks, thanks some really good info you’ve provided there! Yeh I’m starting to look at custom modules now but the stuff you’ve fed me there has given me enough food for thought mine are the cheap Chinese style and I’m guessing the canbus doesn’t agree with them as I’ve tried resistors/different bulbs etc. The module I used was a step down one but it seemed to be able to allow more voltage through which was good and cured the flicker but it still wasn’t stable enough for my liking and wasn’t very smooth like yours either! Guess first thing to do is try a different brand cheers and good luck with the van. Cracking effort so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

Thought I’d strip down a few surplus wiring looms to recycle the wires, clips, plugs and sockets. Ended up with quite a mix of wiring and connectors, result!

And did a quick, temporary bodge to the back box with some steel cable ties to stop the annoying rattle...

And after a quick inspection of the rest of the exhaust, I think a new one is the order of the day!

So, that’s be a new exhaust, back box delete, carbon tail pipe, new bumper to suit the tail pipe and possibly an “old skool” cherry bomb box in the middle section Image

Oh, and it’d be a sin not to lower her at the same time... better start saving!

Popped the bike in the back to see how it looked after the carpeting, still looks good Image

Hopefully be able to travel soon Image

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

Looking like an awesome build

When you fitted the touran door cards did you need to make any mods for them to fit?

Cheers, Mouse

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Mouse [/mention] cheers buddy,

yeah, the top front section needs trimmed to fit round the mirror brackets, easy done as you can use the caddy cards as a template looks factory too.

There’s a good how too in the technical section that guides you through the whole process.

I left the existing caddy window supports in place and modded them to fit the Touran electrics as the bloke that removed them from the donor Touran drilled out a few of the rivets to get the panels off and I didn’t notice at the time, rookie error on my part, could have negotiated a bit more off them! Easily fixed with some rivnuts and a drill though

Mouse
Caddy Fan

Post by Mouse »

@C Chis, thanks pal.

Is it possible to just replace the mirror cover for a touran one rather than hacking away some of the door card?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Mouse [/mention] No, don’t think so, the Touran mirrors are not a straight fit, folks mod the existing mounts to fit Touran mirrors on, a lot of work to make them fit, however the inside stays the same.

It took about 5mins to trace the old door card, cutout the shape, transfer the shape to the Touran cards and cut them out with a Dremel.

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Mouse [/mention]

This is the little section that you need to mark out and cut off, the number was the distance from my reference point starting 747mm from the other end to give me the same starting point, others may have a different number.

Marked up

Cut out

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Let the build begin

Post by C Chis »

Coded in footwell lights to my replacement CECM this morning.

Tested with a homemade test lamp, well chuffed!!

https://youtu.be/wn1vOgRJ53c

https://youtu.be/P-1zwXn-hQw

CECM was from an EOS, part number 3C8 437 049 E

The differences on plug B (highlighted in orange) were...

Installed a test wire into plug B

Coded the module to my van...

Ran a test, all working as factory, then gave it try, result!!!!

I didn’t change the van to a car in the other CM, left as a van Image

Need to head to the scrappy’s next week to pick up a couple of light fittings from a Golf, pop in some red LED’s, get them wired up and installedImage

Last edited by C Chis on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Papa Bear »

Video links don’t work :?
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

[mention]Papa Bear [/mention] should be sorted now, missed out a space