Caddy Maxi Electric fan.

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
blueboy
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Caddy Maxi Electric fan.

Post by blueboy »

I am trying to find out if its normal for the electric fan to be running when I pull up after a journey, I would have thought it would come on after a few minutes of ticking over.

I have driven home about 5 miles along free running roads 40 mph then down to 30 mph when reaching my village & when I pull up on my drive the fan is going.

Does this seem correct, its not a particularly hot day either.
VanLife
Twin Turbo poster

Re: Caddy Maxi Electric fan.

Post by VanLife »

Short answer is no.

Usually the fan(s) should only stay on when it's been driven hard or it's a particularly hot day.

Even after a long journey mine doesn't stay on after shutting down the engine.
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Never drive it hard, the temp shows in the centre of the gauge always. Never seen it above halfway. Could it be a faulty switch or something like that. There are no restrictions on the airflow to radiator & radiator fluid level is always to the line on the expansion bottle when cool, slightly above when hot which is understandable.
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

@blueboy if its idling slightly faster than normal when you completely stop - around 1000rpm, it could be doing a DPF regen, especially if you never give it a bit of right boot or are doing short journeys?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Bionicman
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Bionicman »

Defo sounds like it is doing a regen mate, and the coolant temperature gauge on a Caddy very rarely ever goes past 90 degrees, nothing to worry or be concerned about.
blueboy
Caddy Fan

Post by blueboy »

Thanks for the helpful information, never though about the regeneration bit. Mostly take the Mrs to work & pick her up in the evening, about 4.5 miles each way.

Gets a run each week to my sisters about 14 miles each way & try to give it a bit of a rev now & again to give it a blast but rarely go past 3500 RPM.
robblowen
Twin Turbo poster

Post by robblowen »

They just pick and choose when they do it, I did a 2 1/2 hour run to wales a couple of weeks ago and it started a regen in the last mile or so of the journey!!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jonasdagbro
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonasdagbro »

My 2017 tdi did the same thing when I got home after buying it, then again the day after. Haven't heard the fan running after turning off the car since.

Shouldn't the car indicate in some way if it is regenerating? Does it complete the regeneration if the car is turned off or does it start over the next time the car is started?
2017 Caddy Maxi Life 2,0tdi dsg
2007 Caddy Life 1,9tdi
lal138
100BHP+

Post by lal138 »

Hi i use vag dpf app and vgate icar pro bluetooth 4.0 elm 327 obd 11 car diagnostic scanner to monitor my regens very good you can leave this plugged in and just connect to android phone when you want to see whats happening and when regens are in progress.Since i had mine rolled back its about every 400 miles between regens and i use red x diesel every fill up.I have only covered about 4000 miles since rollback in 12 months but all seems good. :D :D :D
jonasdagbro
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonasdagbro »

Good idea with the bluetooth OBD reader. Other DPF cars I have heard of tells you when it is regenerating and that you should not turn the car off until it is finished.
2007 Caddy Life 1,9tdi
Bionicman
Hyper Poster

Post by Bionicman »

It would have been good if VW put an indicator DPF symbol type lamp on the cluster so that you knew it was doing a DPF regen and maybe a bong noise to accompany it in case you did not see the lamp illuminated.
jonasdagbro
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonasdagbro »

I noticed that the start/stop symbol in the dash was crossed over when the car was regenerating, and the car wouldn't automaticly turn off when stationary. So if you have that function you can tell when its regenerating.
2007 Caddy Life 1,9tdi