Space for dog crate after rear seat conversion. SWB vs Maxi

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Ste_J
100BHP+

Space for dog crate after rear seat conversion. SWB vs Maxi

Post by Ste_J »

Hi all

I’ve been wading through the search function for a couple of weeks and venturing into 100’s of rabbit holes along the way :)

Trying to settle a dilemma on which direction to go in terms of SWB or Maxi. Either way I’d be going for a rear seat conversion along with full carpet and side windows but the space behind the rear seats is most important
I need to have enough space to fit a large dog cage. Large enough for a 47kg Ridgeback who likes to stretch out when travelling

Could anybody offer any advice or pics on the space post seat conversion and even better if somebody has picks where they have a large cage in the back as well

If I didn’t have to perform dads taxi duties then I wouldn’t bother with the rear seats and I’d just have the van for myself and the dog :)

Thanks in advance
Papa Bear
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Space for dog crate after rear seat conversion. SWB vs Maxi

Post by Papa Bear »

In our maxi life, behind the middle seats we can fit a 52” jump bed with a few inches spare
Caddy Maxi Life 1.6TDI 7 speed DSG 102bhp
Black

Marmite lover!!!
VCDS
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

Thanks. That’s loads of space then

His XL crate comes in at 47” long which would mean I could get something made to the same size and still have room to spare
AndyG99
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by AndyG99 »

Not sure if I’m missing something here but won’t the dimensions of a maxi combi give you the information you need?
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

Hi, No you are not missing anything. I’m new to all things caddy and just worked out the same
That said reading dimensions and real world experience are often very different

Example being that SWB could give the right dimensions on paper but real world could prove to be different in that people find there is an irritating lack of space between cage and door

Apology, just trying to get as much info as possible before I bite the bullet and ditch my current 3 series tourer :)

Think I’m swinging toward a Maxi. Would probably be ample with SWB but I’d want driver and passenger side sliders and they seem to be rare as rocking horse 💩
Last edited by dan@biali on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
Philnanks
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by Philnanks »

I’ve got a Caddy Maxi Life for the soul reason of having a large dog cage in the rear having removed the rear 2 seats. Loads of room! Will try to post up some pics
Iridium grey 2016 Caddy Maxi Life 150 DSG
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

That would be great if you could post pics. I’m torn between going the maxi route with rear seats, carpets and windows or life albeit I’d still probably rip out the panels in the 3rd row and carpet

Maxi is only swinging it due to the lack of windows in the back section because I do like that look although a dark colour life with privacy glass is equally as slick looking

Oh then of course having spent far too much time browsing here I’d have to swap the wheels and possibly suspension on whichever I got 😂
balmay
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by balmay »

I'm unsure how helpful it will be for you, but I have 2010 caddy maxi with the transk9 cages fitted in the back of the van. I have 2 unit cages fitted, in upsidedown T layout so there should be enough space to fit back seats.
https://www.transk9.com/product/vb2-dog ... ge/?r=4242

Here in maxi life
https://www.transk9.com/select/volkswag ... -2007/b12/
My cage is 5 cm longer, and I still have a space between the cages and a bulkhead.
There are also companies who will either make a removable dog cage to fit your Caddy or make permanent cages dog walking, but that would require leaving a van for couple of days.
Semster
Caddy Fan

Post by Semster »

I have the SWB Edition 30. at your tightest points with the door closed and rear seats installed.

1130mm Width x 840mm Depth (Seat to Rear Door)
Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

Thanks both. Apology I completely missed the posts and I should have updated the original

I opted for the Maxi life due to the space and the fact it wouldn’t need any changes with DVLA to use as a family motor

Found a lintran for sale and it fits perfectly. Second row seats still in and space at the end to sit and change boots etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semster
Caddy Fan

Post by Semster »

Looks Perfect mate. Good decision

Ste_J
100BHP+

Post by Ste_J »

Yeah he’s a big lad so needed a decent size cage but didn’t want to use the entire space