Covid caddy project

Show off your caddy
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Covid caddy project

Post by HicksyOz »

Looking great mate! Good to see another Aussie joining the UK masses modifying these awesome cars!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1.4 TSI220 SWB Caddy MY20
2.0 162TSI Tiguan Wolfsburg MY19
2008 Yamaha R6
Cervelo S5 Disc DA 9170 (For any bike riders)
fishynos72
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by fishynos72 »

HicksyOz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 pm Looking great mate! Good to see another Aussie joining the UK masses modifying these awesome cars!

Thanks, though not a lot of modification going on yet.

I've seen your grey caddys post, such a good colour on VW commercial vehicles. Very much lends itself to being modified.
How many is too many Volkswagens?
HicksyOz
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by HicksyOz »

@fishynos72 YET being the operative word though!
And totally agree about Pure Grey, I custom built this van so could have chosen any VW colour. Strongly considered Viper Green, Lapiz Blue and Blackberry but still kept coming back to the simple non metallic grey!

1.4 TSI220 SWB Caddy MY20
2.0 162TSI Tiguan Wolfsburg MY19
2008 Yamaha R6
Cervelo S5 Disc DA 9170 (For any bike riders)
Towner11
Caddy Fan

Post by Towner11 »

Looking really good, I don’t expect it will stay a van you just throw construction stuff in! I use mine for work, but wish I had one for work and one to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

HicksyOz wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:22 am @fishynos72 YET being the operative word though!
And totally agree about Pure Grey, I custom built this van so could have chosen any VW colour. Strongly considered Viper Green, Lapiz Blue and Blackberry but still kept coming back to the simple non metallic grey!

Yeah I threw the "yet" in as it's in my nature to fiddle with my cars.

Your grey and nardo grey may define an era of vehicle in the future, but it'll date less than the viper green. I remember the mk3 scirocco launch colour being a similar green, it's probably the only colour scirocco I wouldn't have as first pick.

Towner11 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:47 am Looking really good, I don’t expect it will stay a van you just throw construction stuff in! I use mine for work, but wish I had one for work and one to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry, I'll clean it up, and quickly ruin the main reason I bought it, to load with construction materials.

I've always been "overly cautious" with my cars. No need to mistreat them. Luckily my golf is the "toy" vehicle hopefully the caddy stays usable as a result. Though for how long is anyone's guess.

On an unrelated topic.
Can anyone offer some sliding door insight?
Mine won't lock with the central locking. It unlocks as you'd expect, the car knows when the door is open or closed as they interior lights come on and off as they should. I just gave to lock it from the inside before hitting the central locking for the rest of the doors.

I've had both halves of the electronic spring loaded sockets out and checked their continuity, all checked out ok. So I'm guessing that leaves the door latch?
What are the chances 2 sliding doors both have did latches? The one with the window that came with the van and the windowless one I bought

Update:

Just found this thread
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/16614/
Perhaps I need some sort of highline module
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Was promptly informed I am indeed a nugget.

I mistook this for the locking contacts.

They're apparently for telling the body control module if the door is open or closed.

When in fact I need to look into these.

I mistakenly assumed they were purely a locating pin for the alignment of the sliding door.

Gives me something to do tomorrow evening
fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Bad news unfortunately. Spacing both halves of the door lock contact didn't yield the result I was hoping for.

I'll now look into replacing the switch halves. The door side of the switch retails at $200aud from volkswagen. Perhaps an eBay search is in order.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Hi buddy,

The interior light switch, the one hidden in behind the locating pin is working if your interior light goes out reasonably quickly after closing the doors, if one of them is faulty then the interior light will stay on for about 10 minutes until the timer times out.

Here’s the wiring diagrams for the sliding doors, from 2009 onwards, they might help...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Just noticed your Caddy is a 2005, I’ll post up the right diagrams later when I get home

2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Here’s the ones for 2003 onwards with electric windows..

fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

C Chis wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:44 am Hi buddy,

The interior light switch, the one hidden in behind the locating pin is working if your interior light goes out reasonably quickly after closing the doors, if one of them is faulty then the interior light will stay on for about 10 minutes until the timer times out.

Thank you for the wiring diagrams.

My interior lights work as I would expect. Turning off in less than a minute after the doors are shut

If I lock the van with the sliding door open, then shut the sliding door I get the indicator single flash upon closing the sliding door. But the door still doesn't lock.

Leaves me with latch?
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Covid caddy project

Post by C Chis »

Could be,

I’d check the following

1. With the door shut, press the lock button and then from the outside push the door in a little (I gave mine a shove with my shoulder) at the point where the connector is, if it locks then the connector needs cleaned or replaced (I had this on mine)

2. Check across the motor for continuity, best to check from the door connector as this will check out the internal wiring too.

3. The plug on the locking mechanism in case it’s disconnected or corroded.

4. Check the signal coming from the CECM in case the door’s not getting the signal to lock.

fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

C Chis wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am Could be,

I’d check the following

1. With the door shut, press the lock button and then from the outside push the door in a little (I gave mine a shove with my shoulder) at the point where the connector is, if it locks then the connector needs cleaned or replaced (I had this on mine)

2. Check across the motor for continuity, best to check from the door connector as this will check out the internal wiring too.

3. The plug on the locking mechanism in case it’s disconnected or corroded.

4. Check the signal coming from the CECM in case the door’s not getting the signal to lock.

So last night I took the pillar trim off, using my multimeter tested the switch both in and out of the van, and it works as expected. So I pretty much can confirm the van knows the door is shut.

I will as you've suggested, check the latch/motor plug.

Ive yet to work out how I'll test if it's receiving the lock signal from then CCEM
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

I used a small, low wattage bulb, held across the motor contacts, it should light up briefly, however if the motor is faulty then the CECM might not output a lock signal.

fishynos72
200BHP+

Post by fishynos72 »

Excellent idea. I have exactly that setup for static timing engine builds. Just have to find where I've put it.
Thanks again for the tips

In other news my radiator support panel arrived.

Not very exciting but necessary all the same

I've some packages on their way that are a bit more interesting. Covid is delaying all sorts of postage/ shipping at the moment unfortunately. Thankfully quire a few automotive businesses are returning to normal.
Last edited by Doc on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post