Rear leaf spring

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Rear leaf spring

Post by Azz03 »

I’m after some advice and wonder if anyone could shed some light. I’ve seen that the caddy maxi has double leaf springs on each side is this possible for the swb caddys to stiffen up the bounce on the rear? As I know you can do the maxi anti roll bar but not sure about the rest. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Rear leaf spring

Post by the swan fiend »

I think the double leafs are the comfort ones and are fitted to caddy life models.
Are you running standard suspension? I found mine was much better after lowering.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

I’m on the verge of sorting my suspension out new rear axle flips and shocks so want to try stiffen the rear up as much as possible as I’ve read all over about the rear end wobbling all over the place. What rear set up you running mate

the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

I’m using the STX kit mate, it was well regarded on here and a good price so I decided on that. It’s coilovers upfront and short shocks and shackles for the axle flip at the rear.
I have no issues with it whatsoever, however I’m a steady driver though.

Rescue me from the swans in me
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Yeh I’ve heard good reviews from those kits but I don’t want to go down the coil over route just going to stick with mk5 golf gti from shocks with 60mm lowering springs and axle flip with either gaz shocks or maybe koni or something similar and polybushed

I’m a steady driver myself but my vans running 200bhp and eventually more so want it to handle nice and like to have a little fun every now and then haha. Thanks for the help anyway mate

Late-duber
100BHP+

Post by Late-duber »

To reduce the rear axle float you could mod the rear hangers/ladder brackets, above and below the spring, bolt tubes Inbetween the hangers and this reduces the side movement of the axel, a bit, you could always fit a watts linkage, or panhard rod set up, if you want really fancy stuff
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

I read about it somewhere before that someone doubled up their leaf springs on a swb caddy as they come standard on a lot of caddy maxis specially the caddy life’s. And they mentioned it stiffened up the rear nicely felt more factory

Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

Watts linkage or panhard kits are pretty hard to get perfect I’ve read a lot about those. There’s someone on the Facebook ccuk page who’s done the panhard on his caddy and there’s a lot of mixed views on how it works etc. It guess most people just deal with the back swaying about and the axle moving left to right if you park on an angle.