Heater blower resistor

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
slacky
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Heater blower resistor

Post by slacky »

Hey guys

Looking for abit of advice regarding the heater blower resistor. About a year ago my heater only worked on setting 4 so googled it and seen its a common problem with the heater resistor so ordered a new one and stuck it in. Although it worked it made some funny noises.

A year later its stopped working again so I ordered another one stuck it in and although its working again its making funny noises when on. Out of curiosity I took it down from above the footwell to feel how hot it was and it was very hot. Hot enough you can't touch it. Now its got me abit concerned if I keep using it with how hot it was it could cause some damage.

Is it ment to be getting this hot and whys the resistor making funny noises when the blowers are on?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Heater blower resistor

Post by Doc »

The fan resistor pack will only overheat if there is insufficient air flow across it to keep it cool or the fan in drawing too high a current.
Make sure that you've got a clean pollen filter in the system.
If you remove the fan you can disassemble it enough to get oil onto the plain bearings top and bottom. I usually flood the bottom bearing in about 30ml of oil before reassembly,l. You'll see how the fan sits in a recess that can gather water if any is drawn into the system.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
slacky
100BHP+

Post by slacky »

The resistor is just pushed up above the passenger footwell is this the correct place? Where is the blower located? Would you say because of the noises coming from the resistor when the fans on its using to much current ?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

The resistor should be in the duct, it has a space to clip into so it's in the airflow.
The fan is right over on the passenger side, you can't miss it as its motor is protruding down quite a bit. Needs a twist to remove.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
slacky
100BHP+

Post by slacky »

Managed to get the fan out. It seems its the fan making the noise not the resistor. I put the blowers on low settings for a few seconds and the resistor was hot to touch. Do you think the fans salvageable or shall I get a new one ?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

I've had great success with oiling the bearings.
It's definitely worth a try before sending it to the bin.