Caddy Mk4 dash top storage pod

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
EvilC
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Caddy Mk4 dash top storage pod

Post by EvilC »

Hi there, I’ve started on what I thought would be a 2 minute job to lift out the original dash tray and replace it with an original VW purchased dash storage unit with the lid in my 2019 Caddy. The unit even states Caddy on the label but it doesn’t quite want to go in. Has anyone else tried this and found that some of the lugs don’t quite line up. It’s the correct shape and locates at the rear correctly but the front just doesn’t want to go down. It’s clearly fouling on something. I just thought I would ask incase someone else knows what bits of plastic either on the tray on within the dash need to be removed.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Caddy Mk4 dash top storage pod

Post by Doc »

If your caddy is RHD then it won't fit. The dash top storage lidded box is only an option for LHD.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
EvilC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by EvilC »

Aaaahh!!! Now that would explain a lot!! The next question is do I try to make it fit! Hmmm that is very annoying. I’ve always added the lidded storage bin to my previous Caddy’s, so was trying to do the same here. VW really missed a trick not producing one for the RHD market. How frustrating. I don’t suppose there are any aftermarket solutions that you are aware of @Doc? Many thanks for the swift reply as well.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

There's nothing I'm aware of.
A few people have made modifications to the LHD box to make it fit but it's not simple to get it looking good.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Rigguz
Caddy Fan

Post by Rigguz »

This would be such a good mod if it could be achieved OEM or looking OEM! Shame it’s not an easy fix!
julianfecitt
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by julianfecitt »

Yes I had look at work this week, although Etka doesn’t state it the box is only Lhd, I wonder if a Touran or T6 one would fit?
Doc
Not God, just a bellend

Post by Doc »

You sure there's nothing on ETKS to denote LHD?
I seem to recall seeing something but maybe it was just the part numbers.

Sag1
100BHP+

Post by Sag1 »

I have the LHD box and have been scratching my head for a month on how to make it work but can't think of anything that's not too involved.

Getting the unit to click and fit in place is my toughest challenge. If I could get it in, (I think) it'd simply be a case of skimming a new lid with some P38/P40 and making the contours match the existing dash. Even this would require the existing lid to be taken down 1/2mm to allow the fillers to build, harden and shape.

With regards to finish however I don't think it'd ever be factory but you could either paint or retrim to match something else in the cabin so it doesn't look too out of place.
2106 Caddy Life 1.4 TSI | Wheelchair Driver | My Instagram
julianfecitt
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by julianfecitt »

Etka lists lhd & rhd dash trays, but the lid compartment is lhd part number 🙁
helipil0t
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by helipil0t »

Thanks for the information !! i was looking to purchase the same part so you have saved me a few quid, will just have to live with a open tray in the dash top.
EvilC
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by EvilC »

It’s such a shame. I’ve just upgraded from a Mk3, in which I installed the dash top storage compartment. Sadly the LHD unit is ever so slightly angled the other way. It’s only a few degrees out but it make all the difference. If VW had lined it up straight down the vehicle and made it square it could have worked for both LHD and RHD and it would have looked virtually identical. Oh well. If anyone out there is able to butcher a few of these with a view to making a 3D printed version let me know. I would buy one in a heart beat.
Proempie
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Proempie »

I have a LHD Mk4 with the dash pocket. What I could do is take it out, make pictures, give measurements .. Anything to help you guys try and install it on the RHD model.

Just let me know how I can help, I'll happily tear my dash apart for you guys :D
User-FriendLee
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by User-FriendLee »

Hi all. New to the group and a new Caddy owner. Amazing what you learn after the fact.
I would be interested in knowing the dimensions of the Dash lid for the LHD so I can 3D print a RHD version. If I get a working version, I'll share the STL files and/or printed versions if requested.
@Proempie, as many dimensions and pics as possible would help please?
Cheers
Lee
Last edited by Lister79 on Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote of previous post removed
Imprintx
100BHP+

Post by Imprintx »

Proempie .. what a guy!!!
Friendlee il be keeping an eye on this !!
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

Proempie's post was back in 2020
I don't think he uploaded on this thread
None the less, watching this thread Incase there are any developments