SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Show off your caddy
neil278
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Post by neil278 »

Thought it was about time to start a build thread of my new (to me) Caddy :D

Unsure what direction it will go in terms of mods yet as fairly new to the VW scene. Already acquired OEM electric window kit with new style dark grey door cards.

The caddy is in fantastic condition for a 2008 van, so a good blank canvas to start with (only 87k on the clock). It was originally bought by a mechanic friend with a seized BLS motor. It’s been freshly PD130 converted and the rear carpeted out. Unfortunately due to business reasons he had to sell up before even getting to use it!

Here’s a quick picture but more will follow, as and when mods and a bit of detailing get underway.

s23age
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Re: SWB MK3 1.9TDi Build thread

Post by s23age »

nice base to start. I have just got mine. and started things already hahaha its adictive
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

It certainly is! The more build threads I read on here the more I keep mentally spending money :lol: My eBay watch list is getting pretty full!!

Installed the new power loom for the electric window conversion today - thanks to Tommyzooom for the loom ;) Just have the motors and new door cards to fit, so fingers crossed it all just works :D
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Slowly some parts are arriving.

The drivers side door card I obtained for the electric window conversion had some wear to the handle, shame as everything else about them is mint (just dirty from storage). Couldn’t find conclusive info that the rear touran door card handles fit, so took a chance and ordered a cheap complete door card on eBay!

Worn interior door handle

Salvage touran door card

It fits :D ideal source as the rear door card handles are generally in good nick, unlike drivers door which gets the most use.

Small update but satisfying when a gamble pays off :mrgreen:
s23age
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by s23age »

deffo on my next to do list , just sorting the back out first
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Spent the morning fitting the new window regulators and looms.

Turns out the white wires looms (removed from a 2012 caddy or touran) are not a direct fit for the early (2008) caddy’s with the coloured wire loom. The A pillar plugs with the aerial connection can’t be retrofitted over, as the crimps on the small wires are different :( . Instead I removed the power lead for the electric windows and transferred over, would be easier to just buy this with the other loom I purchased but I thought I had that covered. The passenger door window switch loom also needed to be removed and transferred over but that was easy, with no rubber boots to work around!.

Easy as that... or so I thought :lol: no central locking now - just cycled through attempting to lock. It was clear I had some re-pinning to do, so my old loom would work with the new modules.

I changed the following wires from the plug that goes to the control module. Hopefully it helps someone else doing the same, or possibly doing the opposite (fitting old looms and controls into a late caddy), this instance though it will be the reverse.
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Move pin 11 to 12 - pin 13 to 16 (this wire not present on passenger side) - pin 7 to 6 - pin 15 to 7 and pin 16 to 13. The red and yellow wire from position 12 now needs to go into 18.

Door modules were 5K0 959 792 on the passenger side and 5K0 956 793 on the drivers side

Now everything is working as it should :D just need to get the door cards cleaned up and fitted, then upload some pictures but it’s now pissing it down :?
FishermansFriend
Hyper Poster

Post by FishermansFriend »

Well done, i wouldn't have had a clue. Would really like to be able to do these sort of things.
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Just a bit of methodical thinking and the superb resources of this forum!

Light grey door cards, manual windows - shame that the door cards are in such good condition, as I guess they are only good for scrap

New dark grey door cards, electric windows. Was keen for caddy door cards over touran ones, as more in keeping with the dash and more hard wearing.
sylwiu_3gta
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by sylwiu_3gta »

Looks much better now👍, and more functional😁
Chrome handles and switches will make it even better😉
Current built thread: 2013 SWB Caddy 2.0TDI
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48634
My previous built: 2007 SWB Caddy 1.9TDI
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39945
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Finally getting to spend some more time on the van!

Installed some silent coat sound deadening to the inner and outer skins of the front doors, along with a well needed speaker upgrade :lol:.

I opted for Focal 165AS 2-way components, so there are also tweeters for the dash. The tweeters have been mounted within the original tweeter housing. Not usually a fan of cutting into OEM wiring for the crossovers but considered that the original speakers would never be refitted, it seemed pointless doing it any other way. The crossovers add some ability to ‘tweak’ the tweeters, to reduce output in an attempt to reduce the brightness of the sound.

The Focals are a huge improvement, even with the original headunit and at £90 a bargain :D

Obligatory picture of the van in the Peak District, on the way back from collecting more Caddy parts 8) . Plenty of things to keep me busy for awhile and I’ll update as I get stuff fitted.

Craig Cheatham
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Craig Cheatham »

Nice work on the doors @neil278
Now remapped to 145 BHP
neil278
100BHP+

Post by neil278 »

Starting work on my newly purchased Touran seats.

Decided as my Caddy does not have seat airbags, that it’s best practice to remove them. I know many people wouldn’t and it may be considered a bit ott but I had time and wanted it right.

Bit of a pain to remove the lumbar support knob (understatement!) but the rest of the cover removal was relatively painless.

Airbag out :shock:

I then filled the void with packing foam, which was cut around the shape of the air bag and stuck in place.

Now waiting on some scalpel blades to cut off the airbag tags on the side of the seat but that should take 5 mins to sort.

The seats were then cleaned throughly with Autofinesse Verso, which has brought them up like new :D. I’ll add some pictures when they have been fitted to the van.
rosssei
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by rosssei »

Love the electric window conversion - great work!
Andrejm
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Andrejm »

@neil278

If tweeters come with crossover is better to install, to filter low freq go on tweeters