Aerial problems

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 SDI (70bhp)

Aerial problems

Post by Tcaddy »

Hi Guys,

to cut a long story short i changed head units and fitted an android but radio reception was nil even with an amplified adaptor where previously it had worked on another non standard head unit. Changed head unit back to the other non standard unit and that didn't work now either! Fitted android back along with roof mounted dab aerial and all was well in the world of radio reception. That is until i realised that the android was draining my battery so after many jump starts, fitted the original back in with the standard fakra connections and hey presto, no radio reception, but no flat battery either! any suggestions from you good people.

Many thanks.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: Aerial problems

Post by Doc »

Which generation of caddy do you have?
2004-2010 the antenna is in the windscreen with an amplifier mounted top left corner.
2010+ the antenna is in the wing mirror.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Npr_nath
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Npr_nath »

Mine is the same signal is absolutely horrendous, I’m upgrading my head unit to the RCD330 soon so hopefully that helps
2011 Red Caddy 1.6 Blue motion | Vmaxx Coilovers | Rotiform Indt 19” | 180bhp | Rear seat conversion
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tcaddy »

Doc, I have Mk3 2007 with aerial in windscreen.

Thanks
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Make sure your antenna amplifier is mounted correctly, I've seen a few where they have worked loose and thus the amplifier won't work as it needs the contact with the body for ground electrical connection.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Andrejm
Caddy Fan

Post by Andrejm »

Must install can adapter on android, to prevent battery drainage.
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tcaddy »

I take it Doc that involves getting head lining down and removing overhead storage. Looks like a weekend job! will have a look into can adaptor as well. Thanks for all the help.
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tcaddy »

Just a thought, the reception problem coincided with the head unit replacement which involved adapting a connector from iso to vw. i wonder if there is a wire in there somewhere that runs to aerial amplifier, also at same time cigarette lighter stopped working. No fuse in relevant position but being British gas must have a feed from elsewhere. Ironically putting a fuse in relevant position restored this. Still there never was one there in first place so the mystery continues. Is there a feed to aerial amp if so where. Many thanks guys.
Andrejm
Caddy Fan

Post by Andrejm »

Probably some pins on android quadlock adapter is in wrong position,auto antenna feed 12v is always blue wire, find pinout diagram and see wich lead go from android radio to car harnes. And if is the same.
Cigar lighter (power outlet) fuses in the Volkswagen Caddy 2007 are the fuses #42, #47 and #53 in the Instrument panel fuse box. cheers
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tcaddy »

Wiring all corresponded, also original factory unit was reinstalled and radio still didn't get any reception when it previously had!. As said previously, lighter worked without a fuse in the correct location #47 so must be an alternative installed by british gas. Many thanks
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

In case you’re looking for the BG additional fuse board it’s usually fitted in behind the glove box, just above the blower housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
Tcaddy
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Tcaddy »

British gas additional fuse box checked and all ok, so does aerial amplifier have a power supply to it, if so from where?

Thanks.