Caddy - WAV Removal

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
jonnycb
Caddy2k Groupie

Caddy - WAV Removal

Post by jonnycb »

I'm looking into the caddy Maxi's for a day van camper conversion. Alot of them look good until I see around the back there's the bloody wheelchair lift stuff.

How easy is that to remove? Or is it better to keep looking for one without all the gubbins? There aren't too many without the WAV from what I can see. Plus it would save me installing rear windows... 🤔
Morgana
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Morgana »

I had the part of the ramp that goes out and down to the floor taken out. Or rather, cut off. The dealer did this for me, but I bet he wished he hadn't offered, as it was harder than he thought. Still, it's done now. Mine had to be cut off because it forms part of the cutaway bumper. Now the top half is out, it doesn't rattle so much. The inside part of the ramp needs to have a false floor fitted, before the rest of the conversion can be done, but that's not too much of a problem. Then you have a lovely wedge shaped space underneath the floor for extra storage!

However, they take the underslung spare wheel out from under the vehicle in order to fit the ramp, so there's no spare wheel. ATM I'm carrying a can of gunk in case of a puncture, and also belong to the AA. I would still rather have a spare wheel though. I'm looking to see if I can find a space saver tyre, but unsure how this would fix down or in, and of course, it would have to go in the lowered ramp part, so using up some of that extra space.
Morgana's Caddy: 2011 Caddy Maxi C20 Life TDI DSG S-A. Former WAV.
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Re: Caddy - WAV Removal

Post by petrev »

The lowered floor of a WAV allows greater headroom without the need for a high or pop top !
Not full standing height, but still better than std.
:idea:
jonnycb
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonnycb »

petrev wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:44 pm The lowered floor of a WAV allows greater headroom without the need for a high or pop top !
Not full standing height, but still better than std.
:idea:
Oh this is good to know! Hadn't realised that.
jonnycb
Caddy2k Groupie

Re:

Post by jonnycb »

Morgana wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 pm I had the part of the ramp that goes out and down to the floor taken out. Or rather, cut off. The dealer did this for me, but I bet he wished he hadn't offered, as it was harder than he thought. Still, it's done now. Mine had to be cut off because it forms part of the cutaway bumper. Now the top half is out, it doesn't rattle so much. The inside part of the ramp needs to have a false floor fitted, before the rest of the conversion can be done, but that's not too much of a problem. Then you have a lovely wedge shaped space underneath the floor for extra storage!

However, they take the underslung spare wheel out from under the vehicle in order to fit the ramp, so there's no spare wheel. ATM I'm carrying a can of gunk in case of a puncture, and also belong to the AA. I would still rather have a spare wheel though. I'm looking to see if I can find a space saver tyre, but unsure how this would fix down or in, and of course, it would have to go in the lowered ramp part, so using up some of that extra space.
The bit I'm not such a fan of is the cutout in the rear bumper ☹️ looks a bit naff. But a secret wedge space to store stuff sounds a little handy 👍🏼
Vlad
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Vlad »

Morgana, I've got a space saver in the wedge just sitting, it doesn't move around any.

Jonnycb, the fixing points for the original bumper are probably still intact, you should be able to source the parts to reinstall back to original. The ramp set up has no impact on the bumper if you have no need for it.
Vlad
Vlad
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Vlad »

jonnycb
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by jonnycb »

Vlad, this is great info! It opens up alot more options when caddy hunting. Definitely something I'll keep in mind