Converting from Van to Camper DVLA Rules

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
scoutcompass
Caddy2k Groupie

Converting from Van to Camper DVLA Rules

Post by scoutcompass »

So it looks like the Caddy adventure is going to be happening sooner than I thought, so I was doing a little research on how to register your van/camper conversion with the DVLA. I noticed a few rules which I wondered if any of you guys could maybe clear up or have experience with when you have re-registered yours?

On the DVLA website, these are the rules I'm struggling with a little.
"2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation"
So, if I purchased a standard caddy maxi panel van, would I need to insert a window on one of the side doors, or if there's windows on the back doors, do they count?

"motor caravan-style graphics on both sides of the vehicle"
Obviously they want the public to be able to see that it is a camper and not a van for commercial use. Get it, but, is it one of those swooshes you see down the side and some text like Voyageur or something, or just a little compass graphic?

"an awning bar attached to either side of the vehicle"
I don't really understand this one. A full blown pull out awning, seems a bit extreme for a micro camper? Can you get away with having a little awning tent pop up at the back of the van?

"a high-top roof (this does not include a pop-top elevating roof)"
Does this effectively rule out the Caddy Maxi as my camper of choice? How high does it have to be to count as a high top roof?

They just threw me out a bit, and wondered if anyone else had any clarification on these rules?
Any info you guys have is a great help! :)
Scoobysrt
Hyper Poster

Re: Converting from Van to Camper DVLA Rules

Post by Scoobysrt »

You have to be able to stand up in the back of a van to claim it a camper now. I don't think it includes a raisable roof it has to be fixed.
Last edited by Scoobysrt on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Starlight blue highline 2.0 tdi - stainless side bars - DubUnit remap 190 bhp ish - st x lowering kit - golf R cadiz 18" wheels - rear wiper delete - ProVan600 interior led light - red painted calipers - Kenwood headunit - sequential side repeaters - vcds hex net pro
scoutcompass
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by scoutcompass »

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm guessing that's what they mean by high roof. Just as long as you can stand up. Starting to think Caddy might not be the best option! :/
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

Life version has windows, and is a car for tax and insurance. Campervan insurance is not much less than car insurance and with Flux you can get cover for internal equipment even if not reg'd as a Camper.
Last edited by petrev on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scoutcompass
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by scoutcompass »

Thank you, I'll definitely look into that. I've noticed a lot in passing that have the wheelchair access, anyone know if they are easy enough to remove?
Vag wag
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Vag wag »

petrev wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 pm Life version has windows, and is a car for tax and insurance. Campervan insurance is not much less than car insurance and with Flook you can get cover for internal equipment even if not reg'd as a Camper.
still expensive for road tax ;)
petrev
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by petrev »

How so ?

When I changed a T4 to campervan the Road Tax didn't change.