Cellulose paint

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
veedubgub
100BHP+

Cellulose paint

Post by veedubgub »

So ive not got a caddy yet, but when i do, if i dont manage to get one with color coded bumpers Ill have a go at painting them myself.

Ive already got all the kit and have a fair amount of practice from prepping and spraying motorcycle fairings.

I know 2k is much more hard wearing but I dont have all the correct PPE for 2k so ive only ever used celly for the bike fairings.

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever attempted to paint their bumpers using celly and what their experiences were?

If so how did the paint hold up after months/years?

Did you use a 1k clear top coat or just cut an polish?

also how hard/easy is it to find paint suppliers that can match the vw paint codes in celly? (any recommendations welcome)

cheers
Redhotvsgtipug
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Cellulose paint

Post by Redhotvsgtipug »

Have you considered non isocyanate 2k. Will give you a harder finish.
veedubgub
100BHP+

Post by veedubgub »

Redhotvsgtipug wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:27 pm Have you considered non isocyanate 2k. Will give you a harder finish.
Cheers, Ive looked into this before but never used it....many mixed reviews but worth a try.
I could paint a small fairing as a test to see how it goes first before going all out on the bumpers
Baldspeed Racing
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Baldspeed Racing »

Celly would need a lot more work to keep it looking good imo, id go acrylic if you cant paint 2K. As I painted my mk3 Golf Vento front end swap a few years ago and with a decent gun it came out really well even for metallic paint.